Zalman northbridge block

sandness

Weaksauce
So I bought one to put on my new Gigabyte S3. My other blocks are copper Swiftech parts. Since I bought my cooler along with some Coollaboratory liquid metal TIM a few months back, I forgot that you shouldn't use that stuff with aluminum. So anyway, I apply the paste to the northbridge and mount the cooler. I prepare some other stuff and I hear a plick
img0002yy6.jpg

Grrrrrr. Well, I can cobble something together and make that work yet. Or not-
img0006oy1.jpg

I see cracks, and a lil blackened oxidation where the contact piont was made. I honestly don't think that 2mins. of contact with the gallium in the Coollaboratories TIM would cause such cracks. But I may be wrong.
img0044kh3.jpg

That was after 15mins. and having tried to clean off the surface with some acetone. The other tab on the oppisite side fell off just from handling it. Sorta acted like really cheap pot metal.

I guess I've learned my lesson. I shouldn't have saved $5 and just went with another Swiftech block in the first place.

Since I wanted to get it built before christmas, I was able to cobble something together with hardware store goods. Here's my brass block (ugly, but does the trick)
untitledcd8.jpg

Rig so far

I just got my Swiftech block from newegg, but I'm debating on sending it back. Although it would look a lil better, this seems to work fine, is solid, and costs a lil bit less. I dread the idea of draining my system and removing a bunch of crap just to swap out the block.

you're a brave man for throwing that big ass piece of brass on yor board, but i like your style. sucks about your block, but hopefully you've learned and taught a lesson. I say hold on to that new block until you have to change the fluid or you get the itch to take it apart, you know its coming apart at some point, and i assume you enjoy fiddling with it. would make a nice afternoon project.

I expect gallery shots upon completion.

Back