Zalman is NUTS

aldy402

2[H]4U
wow check this out, im sure you guys have all seen the 9500, now look at this

DlStreamnet

Limp Gawd
and there was me thinking that hs were ment to be getting smaller becasuse of newer processors :p

Asian Dub Foundation

Supreme [H]ardness
i dont care HOW good it cools...

not taking the risk of having it rip right out of the socket and on to my 500 dollar video card

aldy402

2[H]4U
exactly I feel if I ever put that hsf on, my motherboard would literally CRACK in half

ikellensbro

[H]ard|Gawd
Good grief - is that just as many heatpipes in a single heatsink that they use in their fanless case? Sheesh, at some point these manufacturers are going to realize that the next step is water...then peltiers...then cheaper phase change!

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Phat.

Chrome the fan, toss some Mr T style rope gold chain on it and commence "ballin out of control"

Icarus

n00b
hot damn!

That thing had better bolt right into the mobo tray or something so it doesn't rip right off of the socket.... and I thought the 7000-Cu was big :D

i dont understand how the cooler in the first post is supposed to cool efficiently, the fan is only facing one direction

morpheus6d9

[H]ard|Gawd
Big Fat Duck said:
i dont understand how the cooler in the first post is supposed to cool efficiently, the fan is only facing one direction
it looks like the fan moves side to side

linjy2

Limp Gawd
maybe they incorporated a tiny motor to make it rotate like a house fan. :D

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Asian Dub Foundation said:

not taking the risk of having it rip right out of the socket and on to my 500 dollar video card
Just put your case on it's side and you will be safe. :D

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
I wonder whether you could cool a Pentium M CPU to sub-zero temperatures with one of those HSFs... :eek:

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
Elledan said:
I wonder whether you could cool a Pentium M CPU to sub-zero temperatures with one of those HSFs... :eek:
The Pentium-M may not put out enough heat to actually activate the heatpipes. Not good.

robberbaron

Supreme [H]ardness
_Korruption_ said:
The Pentium-M may not put out enough heat to actually activate the heatpipes. Not good.

For sure. I have to increase the voltage on my AMD's to get lower temps on my XP90C.

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
_Korruption_ said:
Besides, reaching subambient temperatures would violate the laws of thermodynamics. You'd need a heatpump (read: Peltier/compressor or similar) in order to break this barrier. Remember Maxwell's demon?
Even so, I was questioning the orientation of fans with my dad and friends some time ago; I have long felt that the fans should blow ACROSS the processor rather than onto it to eliminate backflow and turbulence. It looks like they're finally flipping the fans, although I didn't envision the mainstream adoption of heatpipes- I believed they would stay in the enthusiast market. I was expecting 60mm fans to be buried in the middle of a stock Northwood-style cooler.

arman01

Gawd
Asian Dub Foundation said:

no shit

Komataguri

2[H]4U
mavalpha said:
Besides, reaching subambient temperatures would violate the laws of thermodynamics. You'd need a heatpump (read: Peltier/compressor or similar) in order to break this barrier. Remember Maxwell's demon?
Even so, I was questioning the orientation of fans with my dad and friends some time ago; I have long felt that the fans should blow ACROSS the processor rather than onto it to eliminate backflow and turbulence. It looks like they're finally flipping the fans, although I didn't envision the mainstream adoption of heatpipes- I believed they would stay in the enthusiast market. I was expecting 60mm fans to be buried in the middle of a stock Northwood-style cooler.

Don't need extremes like that to get subambient.

Bong Coolers can reach subambient.

takimbe

Limp Gawd
given the size of thing, there is no way im risking putting that thing in my computer and having it fall off and destroying my video card. definitely an e-penis shrinking risk there...

Sanitarium

[H]ard|Gawd
It's becoming overkill now. I can see them having to come up with new products and designs but nobody wants a hsf that weights more then their case.

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
If I put that in my computer, I wouldn't be able to close the case. What are they thinking?!?!

YmkFX

Limp Gawd
I still want to see if the fan inside oscillates, although wouldn't it be better to have a blower inside pushing air out through the fins, then to bring air to the blower have a hole in the top? If you had an intake on your case right above it, you'd have some serious air cooling.

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
Unknown-One said:
So I can fly my mobo around the room :p
Wooooooshhh!!

Really though, you can't deny the pimp factor in these heatsinks. And that copper is *awfully* sexy...

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
umm I think thats a show off model?

Or am I too tired to relize you all are jokeing

kunsunoke

Supreme [H]ardness
arman01 said:
Dunno - It should be alright. The new Zalman cooler is supposedly pretty light, especially with those heatpipes. The design doesn't look nearly as heavy as the 7700 Cu. According to Zalman, the thing should out-cool water cooling systems. We'll soon see if it lives up to the marketing hype.

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
how much heat is required to activate the heat pipes?
I might need to up my overclock/voltage to use the cooler :p :eek:

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
aldy402 said:
exactly I feel if I ever put that hsf on, my motherboard would literally CRACK in half
I'd need two for my system. However, I don't fancy the idea of two of those cracking my $470 motherboard in half.