Zalman installation - Help!

I just got teh zalman 7000b-Cu, and its my first time isntalling an aftermarket cooler. My motherboard is a ASRock Dual939-SATA2. I cant figure out how to take off the stock heatsink holder thing (No idea what its called, therefore cant google for help). I saw 1 review that said to remove the screws, but this one isnt held on by screws. Where the screws should be are empty, and it appears to be held on by 4 plastic things that go through the motherboard.

I also noticed that the holes on the default one are inthe right spot to hold the zalman, but I dont have a back support so I would assume I shouldnt just use that one.

How do I remove the stupid thing?

a pic might help, becuase its rather confusing... most 939 sockets are held in with a clip, not screws, normally you just undo the clip, and it frees the HSF.

No camera, but its not the HSF I want to remove, its the part that HOLDS the HSF that I want to remove.

roger that, ill have to look at your mobo... and see if i can figure it out, your talking about the black plastic bracket, mine is held on with 2 screws.... im guessing you have black plastic push pins, which will have to be undone from underneath, which means removing the mobo...

Ive already removed the mobo because I have to add that retention thing, but from the bottom I cant figure out how to remove it. All that sticks out are little black nubs witha gray strip across the middle, and I dont want to try too much in case I break the mobo.

yup, assuming this is what you have going on here...

mobo

it looks like asrock, went without the standard setup, and there are no screws, but 4 white push through pins... and unfortunately, as far as I know, the only way to remove them, is from underneath the mobo.

you will have to push them up and through, its gonna take a little force, probably with needle nose pliers.

Here ya go, after searching the internet I found guys who did exactly what you need..

link

hers's a more step by step: i just built a new box with these components myself.
1st, with no heat sink installed, remove the pre-installed (from Asrock) black plastic spacer installed around the cpu socket. Do this by pinching together with needlenose pliers the white end nubs of the corner pushpins from the underside of the board. The pins should pop up really easy if you do it right. Remove the pre-installed spacer when all 4 pins are gone.
Here's the hard part: hope you saved everything when you bought the Zalman. They include 2 mounting systems (at least) and you need the one they included for 939 boards. This means one specific black plastic spacer, and the (longer,if I remember) chromed retaining clips. Check out their site for fancy instructions from here. It goes pretty easy.

there is more info on the link

Thanks. I actually just got it on the second last post you wrote. The plugs on the back were a pain, I broke/smushed 2 of them with the plyers before they finally went through, but I got it off no problem. It all works now, so thanks.

Back