zalman cnps9700 installation ??

ianc

Weaksauce
Hopefully someone who has this installed can answer a question for me.

Been sitting on a new build till now (holiday time). Started it yesterday. Put the backplate on the mobo (965p-ds3), put the clip support bracket on the front, put cpu in, added the zalman thermal grease, and put the S-type clip on (perpendicular to heat pipes) and screwed it down. Everything is tight and yet there is some minimal movement of the heatsink on the mobo. Not a rocking motion and its certainly not sloppy movement, but if I put my hand on the cooling fins and apply medium pressure in a twisting motion, I can get a couple of degrees movement left and right. Not up and down and not front to back, just when I twist. I removed it and tried rotating the S-clip 90 deg so it went across the heatsink (parallel to heat pipes) and the same movement is there.

Is this normal to have this kind of movement? Thanks...

I installed my Zalman 9700 a few months back, and yes, that movement is normal, unless mine is screwed up as well. Seems to work fine though.

I concur..this movement is normal. There SHOULD be this small amount of movement. Once you put the thing in place, you are supposed to twist it slightly each way to sort of make sure the grease is in place or somethin' like that.

Personally, I don't see THAT much of a difference operationally from the Arctic Freezer Pro 64 and the Zalman 9700. I mean if you already have an Arctic Freezer Pro 64, the upgrade to the 9700 isn't worth it IMO. I haven't used the Arctic Freer Pro personally, but I've read alot of stuff about both of them in forums and in a couple reviews.

That having been said, if you are upgrading from a stock cooler, then the 9700 IS worth it totally.

movement on mine, installed on a MSI K8N Diamond Plus. Awesome cooler to work with since on the 939 side it just clips onto the stock bracket. Keeps my Opty 165 (stock) 8-10 degrees cooler than system (idle).

I have a question about 9700 installation too. How hard is to install it compare to Intel stock HSF? Does it require lots of force? And how come this huge heatsink doesn't brake your socket? Thanks.

I have a question about 9700 installation too. How hard is to install it compare to Intel stock HSF? Does it require lots of force? And how come this huge heatsink doesn't brake your socket? Thanks.

Compared to the Intel stock HSF, not that hard. There's a backplate that's plastic, which lines up with the holes where the stock Intel HSF clips into the motherboard. On the top side of the board, where the socket for the CPU is, there's an additional bracket. Between the two pieces, it sandwiches your motherboard, and provides a solid point for mounting the S-shaped retention clip. The front and back brackets are held together by 4 provided screws. The S backet retains the HSF via 2 also-provided screws. It's very simple. Anyone that has installed aftermarket cooling on a CPU should have no trouble with the installation at all. I just moved my CNPS9700LED over from my Opteron 165 S939 setup to C2D E4300. All the necessary hardware is there to do either.

Back