Zalman CNPS9500 + 9700 on Asus P5K Deluxe?? - Does it fit?

PHOBOS-82

Limp Gawd
Hi all

Not 100% sure which section this goes in.
Here goes.
Its a 2 part question

I'm just about to order my Asus P5K Deluxe as there's no P5K-E and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P is sold out.

1) I need to know if the Zalman coolers fit. The Asus mobo has heatsinks all over the place and I'm worried it wont fit.

2) I'm also not sure which one to go for. The CNPS9500LED or the CNPS9700LED.
The 9700 is the newer "better" one but it weighs a lot more.

I read Intel recomends not going over 450g so the 9500 @ 530g seems ok but the 9700 @ 764g is a big jump.

Comments and questions please.

I just got the P5K Deluxe with the Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler this past weekend and it fits perfectly fine with all the heatsinks on this board. But because of how tall it sits on the board, make sure your case can accommodate it. That would be your next concern... Good luck!

Hi kuyawil

Thanks for the reply.
Great to know that it fits.
What about the weight of the 9700? Does it look like it puts too much stress on the motherboard? Is the mounting system good enough?

My Case is the Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570.
The powersupply wont get in the way as there is a big gap between the motherboard area and PSU area.
So my only worry is the side pannel. Hopefully the case is wide enough.

I just read somewhere that Intel says it's "limit" is 550g, not 450g.

But the Zalman 9700 is still 214g over that limit.
All i want to know.. is the motherboard (or CPU) at any risk?

why bother if u gonna go p35 and a high class version just get a tr120 ex:D

"tr120 ex" is that the Thermalright you talking about.

2 things. Very expensive and very heavy compared to the Zalman 9700.

At the moment its a coin toss between the 9700 and 9500 Zalmans only due to weight.
If weight wasn't/isn't an issue i would just get the 9700.

The online store i'm ordering my mobo from doesn't have that big a selection of heatsinks.
The Zalmans are the only ones i like.
I'm ordering from them as shipping is free once the order reachs a set value.
With the mobo and CPU cooler together I get free shipping.
Ordering the HSF elsewhere raises the cost big time.

I'm not looking for a massive OC. Just hoping to get my 2.4 Quad (Q6600) G0 to 3GHz on stock vcore.

It's only the weight of 9700 stopping me. I been reading the whole day all over the place trying to get as much info about the weight issues of this and other heatsinks.

I'm dead set on one of the Zalmans. No other options.

Thanks all.

@ michaLcoughliN and kuyawil: Do you think the heatsink (9700) is too heavy? Does it look like it could do damage to the mobo or CPU?

If it did I would not have it currently in my case attached to my mobo :cool:

Its a good cooler. It all depends on your purpose.

Thanks for the hlep guys.

Ordered the last 2 parts. Mobo + HSF.

List as follows:
Intel Q6600 - G0
Asus P5K Deluxe
4x1GB OCZ DDR2 800
XFX 8800GTS 320MB

Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
Seagate 500GB SATA

Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD 226BW

You are going to have a very solid system. I just built my wifes computer less than a week ago and I went with a XFX 8800gts 320mb card on her 22" Chemei LCD monitor. When I bought that video card for her, it came with the video game Lost Planet. Plays nicely!

I also found an AWESOME deal on her Coolermaster 850 watt power supply as it came with FREE 2 gb's of DDR2 800 GSkill Ram. She "only" has an E6420 (4mb L2 cache) overclocked to 3.4ghz for 24/7 use. You're going to be happy with your purchase..

I have been looking for parts since before the 22July price drop.
But people here take soooooo long to send quotes and then the products once i have paid and everything.

I have been dying to get this PC built as you can see from the PC in my sig, it sucks.

Thanks for the hlep guys.

Ordered the last 2 parts. Mobo + HSF.

List as follows:
Intel Q6600 - G0
Asus P5K Deluxe
4x1GB OCZ DDR2 800
XFX 8800GTS 320MB

Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
Seagate 500GB SATA

Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD 226BW

You will notice a huge difference from your current system.
And this is a nice little setup you got going on. Congrats on getting the g0 as well.

I think your all set my man :) dont forget to purchase some AS5 (artic silver 5) . Cant forget the thermal grease :p:p unless you already have some

Cant forget the thermal grease :p:p unless you already have some

I already have some. hehehehe.
I'm just waiting for my last few parts too arrive.

I'm now also building a budget PC for my sister.
Q6550 2.33 - dual-core - 1333FSB
Intel P35 "Dragonpeak Tail" mobo
2x1GB Trancend DDR2 667MHz (was soooo cheap here)
XFX 8600 GT XXX Edition
Gigabyte Triton 180 black case.

Oh and my 8800GTS 320 is a XXX Edition too. I think they both overclocked a bit. I will need to check once the PC's are up and running.

Her PC is really old too and much slower than mine. She can't wait to get the new one.
She currently has a 1.6 GHz Socket A Sempron with 256MB of DDR333 with 32 MB of it sahred for on-board GFX. It some VIA rubbish.

She wants to play BF2 and CS S. With a bit of practice again she will be owning dude once more.

I hate technology.
Zalman now has the CNPS8700 LED.
Xbitlabs.com has a review on it and it cools nearly as good as the 9700 but cools the mobo a lot better. Oh well.

It looks like the older 7000 series blowing down on the mobo but with heatpipes.
And it only wieghs 475grams.

So i would rate it better than the 9500, but a very close 2nd to the 9700.

Looks good but i don't regret ording the 9700. Cant wait till all the parts get here.

Phobos-82,

I don't know if there is still time to change your order but, IMHO, you are building such a nice set but the video board is not par with the other parts.

As more games are designed with DX10 in sight, 320MB os ram just don't seem to be enough for large and heavy textures. If you replace the 8800 GTS for one with 640 MBs you will bether ensured for the future!

I get your point about the video card.
I think it will be fine for now.
I've had the card for 2 weeks now.

What i can do is sell it and upgrade in 6 to 12 months time if it is too "slow"
A friend of mine recently got a 320MB GTS and games run really well on it.

Here's the cheapest retail Prices for 8800 cards in South Africa that i could find.
8800GTS 320MB = R3000
8800GTS 640MB = R4000
8800GTX = R5500

The online store i'm ordering my mobo from doesn't have that big a selection of heatsinks.
The Zalmans are the only ones i like.
I'm ordering from them as shipping is free once the order reachs a set value.
With the mobo and CPU cooler together I get free shipping.
Ordering the HSF elsewhere raises the cost big time.

I'm not looking for a massive OC. Just hoping to get my 2.4 Quad (Q6600) G0 to 3GHz on stock vcore.

It's only the weight of 9700 stopping me. I been reading the whole day all over the place trying to get as much info about the weight issues of this and other heatsinks.

I'm dead set on one of the Zalmans. No other options.

Get the 9500 if you must. The 9700 is only better by about 2-3*C at best.

If you are looking for a 3Ghz overclock, then look at buying an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 775 HSF. It's less than half the price and not quite as loud.

Back