Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu Thermal Sensor placement

Ibuprofane

Weaksauce
I'm building my new comp and I'm having difficulty finding a place to attach the thermal sensor from my Hardcano 12 to my Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu (yes, I realize I should've spend the extra bucks to get the all-copper version) so that I can get the best reading of my Core temp. The best that I can do right now is placing it on the (aluminum) side of the die above the CPU. Right now I'm running Prime95 and my sensor says it's at 32 degrees, but my computer says it's at 40 degrees. I'm planning on doing some (minor) overclocking in the future, so I'd like to get a more accurate reading than what I'm seeing. Specs are in my sig, if you're interested.

same issue here with my xp-90 and a thermal probe. I just have it superglued to the side of the heatspreader.

Only real alternative is to remove the heatspreader so that you can place the probe as close to the core as possible.

Well, I ended up placing the sensor directly above the core and below the fan, where the copper is conductive, but it didn't seem to make the reading more accurate. Currently (idle) i'm getting 27.5 degrees from my Hardcano and 33 degrees from the computer measurement, which I'm actually pretty happy with, considering it's o/c-ed from 2.0Ghz to 2.35Ghz.

Anyone have more insight on placement of the sensor/probe? I have the Zalman 7000 AlCu and I've kinda wedged the sensor in between two of the copper fins in the heatsink. It's definitely not jiving with the on board reading. Are these probes really meant to be accurate? Seem pretty worthless to me, but yet so many cases come with them. What's the thought here?

Back