Zalman 9500 vs Scythe

Darksource

n00b
Hey people, i have a question. I wonder what would be good to HSF for a E6300/E6600 at stock speeds.

Zalman 9500 or the Scythe SCMN-1000

Thanks. :D

the impression i got is people think the zalman is a pos and love the ninja.
you should check out the new scythe infinity aswell, looks like its even better but there arent many reviews yet.

My Ninja rocks. Best cooling decision I made since I decided against water or any other cooling options except air.

On my Intel 630 I idle at 30 and load at 54 with a 275FSB overclock. Best air cooler!!!!!

they are pretty much the same with in 1-2C but, the scythe is my favorite. you can get a scythe w/fan for under 40$ shipped think the zalman is about 10$ more.

ya infinity is better but cant beat the price i price of the ninja i got mine for 34$ + shipping

You can get the ninja for about 34$ shipped if you shop around long enough :).

The Infinity is a great HSF too, but... It's HUGE and HEAVY.

gesicht said:
they are pretty much the same with in 1-2C but, the scythe is my favorite. you can get a scythe w/fan for under 40$ shipped think the zalman is about 10$ more.

ya infinity is better but cant beat the price i price of the ninja i got mine for 34$ + shipping

Where did you purchase your ninja from?

Jab-tech used to have the Ninja Plus for $33, now it's $36. There's the other place mentioned above, too.

If you can spend a little more than that, go for the Thermalright Ultra-120. At higher fan speeds, it beats the Ninja, and ties it at very very low speeds.

What is the maximum weight for the heatsink on the mobo? I belive the ninja is about 815g, correct?

The Thermalright SI-128 is better then ither of those. The only two that are better is the Tuniq Tower 120 and the Scythe Infinity. I prefer a heatsink that allows the fan to blow against the motherboard because it will improve temps around the CPU socket area where your PWM, RAM, NB, ect. is located.

Darksource said:
What is the maximum weight for the heatsink on the mobo? I belive the ninja is about 815g, correct?
I think AMD and Intel says you shouldn't put more than 450g on your CPU; however, I don't think weight is a problem with the Ninja. On mine it's VERY sturdy and attaches very well.

Well, the S. Infinity is over 900 grams and it works just fine so I wouldn't think any cooler is made that is too heavy for normal use.

burningrave101 said:
The Thermalright SI-128 is better then ither of those. The only two that are better is the Tuniq Tower 120 and the Scythe Infinity. I prefer a heatsink that allows the fan to blow against the motherboard because it will improve temps around the CPU socket area where your PWM, RAM, NB, ect. is located.
werd, the si-128 is one bad mother :D

metalspider said:
the impression i got is people think the zalman is a pos and love the ninja.

I have the complete opposite experience. Here's what the Ninja did for me:

Yes, yes...good times. Removing the backplate turned out to be an EVENT. Took over an hour to clean that mess. :mad: To replace the pad for the next board, I ended up using the foam from a motherboard box. Much better. ;) Still, the Ninja uses clips vs the Zalman's screws. I always feel more comfortable with the Zalman on. Especially when going to Lan Parties. If the PC moves, the Ninja will move, it's only a matter of time.

Aside from the lame IMO mounting system, the Ninja's base has not been lapped and w/ a comparable fan can cool a chip slightly better. It's for this reason I keep going back and forth with them. Also, the Ninja has been used to cool my P4 630 passively. The back exhaust fan on my case does a wondeful job of pulling air from it.

As for the Zalman, I've found it does a better job cooling the mobo components. Because the air isn't directed out as strictly as the Ninja, the PWM's and other hotties get some extra love.

You can't go wrong with either cooler. I've seen the Zalman for $50 bucks @ Fry's and online so price really isn't an issue with it either. If you haven't guessed already, I prefer the Zalman. :D

At 530 some grams, my CNPS9500 is the lightest, best werkin cooler I have ever tried. I got it for $53 shipped off the Egg when they had a special.

Back