Zalman 9500 placement (how tight?)

EscaroN

n00b
How tightly should the Zalman 9500 be attached to the motherboard brackets, I've screwed it in all the way, atleast as far as I can turn the screws yet if I apply force I can slide the heatsink, since it on a circular type mount you can only rotate it, not actually move it side to side, but I can rotate it a bit clockwise/counterclockwise, I was wondering if that's normal?

PS. The temps seem OK, atleast CoreTemp reads them as about 36-38C idle and they go up to about 42-44C load, I'm running my E6600 with a slight OC, 300x9=2700mhz (default voltage)

that's plenty tight. a little rotational play is expected from the 9500-type mount. once your thermal paste solidifies (if you're using as5), then you won't be able to move as easily.
and your temps look fine too.

That's totally normal.

I would try not to move it around a whole lot. A few times is ok and even desirable just after mounting, but if you do it after the curing process it could be detrimental to the thermal bond.

I think that's acceptable. The side-to-side movement freaked me out a bit also when I first installed it, but a little movement was actually cool because it allowed me to position the cooler just right! :D I idle between 30 and 32C and 40-42 under load.

yea, that seems right to me too. i got a 9500, and it can wiggle a little side to side, but it's still on there tight. my temps are about 30 idle and 44 load. I'm also OC'ed to 3.2ghz with 1.475 vcore

As long as your temps are staying under a reasonable level (Im not sure what that is for the new conroe chips but yours sounds outstanding compaired to the old intels) its most likely perfectly fine.

Back