• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Zacate HTPC questions

sleepkyng

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
119
Hey everyone,
long time no post.

I just moved back to the US and am received a big ass Samsung flatscreen (42 inch) from a friend.

I have an Acer 3820TG that handles my basic gaming needs (Tf2, L4D2 etc.) but I wanted to get a Zacate HTPC setup for the media server / tv / MAME / light indie game situations.

We don't use Netflix (but will probably get Hulu Plus), and in any case I can wait on Silverlight updates.

I'm just wondering if this system has enough oomph to run light indie games (super meat boy) and serve as a media server (streaming itunes etc.) for our apartment?

cheers
Sleepkyng
 
I replaced an H55 + i3 530 combo with a Zacate system, to make the other system a WHS

Don't count on Indie Gaming, Braid runs slow, super meat boy runs slow too unless you go for ultra low detail, Shank runs slow, Bionic Commando Rearmed runs like crap too. To be fair the H55 system used to run these games like crap too unless I installed a GT240 :D

As for emulators, MAME should do (it did on ATOM back then), of course not all the systems will be 100% speed but neogeo/cps1/cps2/cps3 should be fine. As for other emulators, zSnes does fine but at this point is a bit too outdated....bsnes runs very slow.

To be fair XBMC does a fair job with my BDrip library and itunes streaming should be fine (I guess you mean DAAP).
 
I replaced an H55 + i3 530 combo with a Zacate system, to make the other system a WHS

Don't count on Indie Gaming, Braid runs slow, super meat boy runs slow too unless you go for ultra low detail, Shank runs slow, Bionic Commando Rearmed runs like crap too. To be fair the H55 system used to run these games like crap too unless I installed a GT240 :D

As for emulators, MAME should do (it did on ATOM back then), of course not all the systems will be 100% speed but neogeo/cps1/cps2/cps3 should be fine. As for other emulators, zSnes does fine but at this point is a bit too outdated....bsnes runs very slow.

To be fair XBMC does a fair job with my BDrip library and itunes streaming should be fine (I guess you mean DAAP).

Thanks for the info

I was looking at Zacate for my HTPC build, but with Llano already shipping apparently, and since I'm in no rush to buy, I might just go w/ Llano if they come in mini-ITX form. The improved GPU will help since I do like playing indie/older games, and while Zacate would do fine, I'm already waiting to build so it won't hurt to see what Llano has to offer in price
 
Back
Top