z87 sabertooth mobo-- cant see mouse or keyboard on install of w7

slideways666

Limp Gawd
last week i got a new z87 sabertooth asus mobo... Did the instal-- everything went fine.. updated all the mobo drivers... etc... So today i wanted to redo my windows 7 os... So put the disk in-- start it up.. I get the start up screen to install windows-- but i cant select anything cause my mobo and mouse wont work(the mobo doesnt see them)... They work fine when im in the bios.. They work fine when im in windows.....But they dont work when im trying to install the os..

Im not in a usb3 port-- i know that can cause troubles when doing a os instal
There is no ps2 port on the board so i cant use a old mobo or mouse..

Any help would be great..

Can you go into the UEFI BOOT section and set USB to "Full Initial" and see if that helps. Try different ports also and the latest UEFI version (your post mentioned updating latest drivers not UEFI).

Failing all this, you'll have to tell me which USB keyboard and mouse you have (plus any part numbers) so I can pass to HQ for replication if need be.

-Raja

went into the uefi--set usb to "Full Initial"--- nothing..

tried to install from a usb stick vs dvd.. no difference.. tried different keyboards and different mouses-- no difference..

What seems to be happening is-- the power to the usb ports is turned off when im in the windows setup screen.. I looked down and the little light that is on my keyboard dogle that is usually on-- was off..

So i boot the computer and go into the bios--- mobo and keyboard work fine.. select boot sequence-- start from dvd.. all fine.. exit and save-- all good.. then the computer starts up off of the dvd-- gets to the first screen(select language etc) and nothing(mouse and keyboard both dont work)... I noticed the little light that is on my keyboard dongle had gone out.. Leting me know there is no power going to the usb ports..I reboot--- get back to my desktop and everything works fine again.. The light is on, on the dongle-- mouse and keyboard both work fine...

Keyboards are both microsoft... mice/mouses were both logitech's...Mobo is a p87 sabertooth.. Processor is 4770k.. not overclocked..Im only plugged into usb2 ports---though tried both the usb2 ports in the front and back of the case-- nothing.. but they all work fine when i reboot into windows..

Again---- the fact that the light on the dongle was off on the setup screen would mean to me that the keyboard has the power off on the usb ports... once i reboot-- everything works fine and the mobo works great... When i did my initial install--it went great.. Mouse and keyboard worked fine while my initial install was going on... My quess would be that something that is added from the CD that comes with the mobo(all the other drivers) is mucking something up...

Oh and im the latest bios 1405.. The not working while trying to reinstal windows usb ports were present on 1007 and now also 1405... Hope all this info helps..

Keyboards are "microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000", and "microsoft wireless keyboard 6000 v3"
mice were both logitech MX.. Everything is brand new.. All drivers are up to date..

------------------------------------------------
came back to add this part--
Just went and tried to reinstall the usb drivers-- but didnt do any good.. I watched as the instal dvd started up--- downloaded the file(green light on keyboard dongle still on).. loading files(green light still on) -- as soon as the window popped up to select language and start installation-- the green light went off-- dongle was dead and so was keyboard and mouse at that point..

Last edited:
Try setting xHCI in the UEFI under Advanced > USB to disabled and the keyboard/mouse plugged into one of the Intel USB 3.0 ports. Also, is this Win7 with SP1?

I have this problem a lot with wireless keyboards and mice, so I keep a cheap wired USB keyboard and mouse handy just for OS installs.

I'd also try setting USB Legacy support to Auto instead of enabled. For some bizarre reason this worked for another user that had an issue.

Raja-- that did it.. Changing the usb legacy setting to auto worked.. I could see my mouse when that install screen came up and it worked fine.. Thanks for your help.. \_/ <--- beer for you :p

Raja-- that did it.. Changing the usb legacy setting to auto worked.. I could see my mouse when that install screen came up and it worked fine.. Thanks for your help.. \_/ <--- beer for you :p

Cool. Glad it helped! :)

System Info: Z87 Pro (V edition) mobo, i7 CPU,
installed w7 pro, then upgraded to w8 pro, then upgraded to w8.1 pro,
installing the OEM mobo drivers on original install and on the upgrade to w8.

Everything worked fine on the w8.1 upgrade for USB, all devices discovered and functional after driver installs for each device. However, on boot into OS it gave three ASUSSetup error messages saying it couldn't find specific .log files.

I downloaded all the most recent drivers for this specific mobo from the ASUS support page for it, and updated the USB 3 firmware, updated the USB driver, and updated the Bluetooth/Wifi driver.

USB ports were functional until restart, when all USB functionality failed upon pass from BIOS to OS. USB keyboard and USB wireless mouse were functional in BIOS setup upon restart, but power to the keyboard and mouse shut off just as soon as the BIOS post messages stopped and control was handed off to w8.1.

I discovered by trial and error that if I changed the USB settings so that legacy USB support was enabled our on auto, as well as xHCI support and EHCI handoff were both disabled, that the USB ports would stay on in the OS, but then Windows would give an xHCI driver error, and no other USB device except for mice and keyboards could be recognized.

At this point I ran the bios flash utility to update the bios to the latest .cap published by Asus, but the problem persisted and could only be solved by changing the USB settings back to the combination specified above.

I also tried to roll back the USB drivers in device manager, but every USB component had no previous driver listed that I could roll back to, and updating the drivers in device manager with Windows update or manually using the properties screen update to the drivers from the mobo OEM install disk changed nothing.

At this point, I'm waiting for a call back on an escalation with Asus consumer component tech support, as I've already done everything they can think of and they think I'll have to ship the board in to them for repair.

I'm certain there is a problem with either the new USB 3 driver or the latest USB firmware application provided by Asus at this point, it is the only explanation that remains. Too bad there's no way to undo either!!!

Venus

Back