Z87 Intel Rapid Storage (RST) with non-boot drive and exclude other drives?

silkshadow

n00b
I am setting up a new Haswell system and before I start committing time into something that might not work, I thought I'd ask for help.

I have the following hard drives:

2 x Samsung 840 Pro
1 x WD 1TB Black
5 x 3TB WD Greens

I will connect all these drives to my mobo (MSI Z87-GD65).

What I want to do is use 1 of the Samsung 840 Pros as my OS drive. Then use Intel RST with the 1TB WD Black drive (Steam drive) and the second Samsung 840 Pro. I know Intel RST maxes out at 64gb cache so I'll use the rest for something else.

Then I want to use the 3TB WD Greens in a software array with Drive bender for mass storage and redundancy.

The thing I am stuck on is that the instructions say I have to enable raid on the Intel sata sockets, but I want to have one of the Samsung 840 Pros and the 3TB greens without raid (just AHCI).

Is this possible? Or do I have to include all drives in raid and with the RST setup just to use RST? If this mobo can't support what I want, but another one can, its no problem as I am on the verge of returning it anyway just let me know which mobo to swap it with.

Thanks!!

Ah I see what you are doing.

Yeah no motherboard will be different, once you enable the controller all the intel ports are enabled.

The other drives will say RAID mode, but they still function like they are in "AHCI" mode unless you specifically put them into a RAID array after it has been enabled.

Ah I see what you are doing.

Yeah no motherboard will be different, once you enable the controller all the intel ports are enabled.

The other drives will say RAID mode, but they still function like they are in "AHCI" mode unless you specifically put them into a RAID array after it has been enabled.

Oh cool. So no striping will be done on the other drives that are not part of Smart Response?

The other drives will not be touched or altered at all unless you specifically make them part of a striped array.

Back