• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Z87-A Question

song414

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
324
Hi all,

I have a Z87-A and plan to crossfire (I have had two 7950's running in slots 1 and 2 before) This motherboard has 3 PCIe slots but on the specs it lists:

Expansion Slots
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x2 mode)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

Now slot 3 is the 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (2x mode)

My question is this... It makes more logical sense to do crossfire in slots 1 and 3 rather than 1 and 2 for better airflow. Will I be limited to 2x mode in the second card vs 8x if I put it in slot two or does it only do 2x mode if I put three cards in?
 
Pretty sure the 3rd slot is only good for 2x mode. Usually only the really expensive boards allow you to switch the lanes. Anyway you would need a 8 slot case to use that 3rd slot.
 
Back
Top