Z77 vs. Z68

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
So is native USB 3.0 it? Just wondering if there will be a reason for Z68 owners to bother upgrading their motherboards.... assuming it's IB compatible.

probably just PCI-E 3.0 (if you can make a good use of it).

Nobody can. Not even in the next three years; cards today don't even get close to saturating PCIe 2.1 x8, let alone x16. Doubling that speed makes zero improvement in performance; the only benefit might be next-gen high-end Quadro/FirePro and Tesla graphics cards.

Nobody can. Not even in the next three years; cards today don't even get close to saturating PCIe 2.1 x8, let alone x16. Doubling that speed makes zero improvement in performance; the only benefit might be next-gen high-end Quadro/FirePro and Tesla graphics cards.

I was thinking about PCI-E SSD actually.

I was thinking about PCI-E SSD actually.

None that are PCIe 3.0 now, because there's no SATA controller that runs on PCIe 3.0 yet. LSI said they are working on some, but probably too expensive for OCZ's shitty taste.

Yeah mine has (supposedly) PCI and USB 3.... also Virtu and Intel rapid response (or whatever the SSD/HDD tech is called). So.... it's X79 or keep what we got?

Keep what you got. Wait for Ivy Bridge. If it's definitely better, stick a chip on your board. Itf it works, enjoy it. If it ain't much better, stay with your 2500K

But, I reckon, if all the modern cards go PCI 3.0, you will need that board for your next upgrade. But I'd wait for Keplers / 7k series to see what they need, how they work and so on. As it might be just current getn upgraded to PCI 3.0 and sold as 'new tech" :))

So is native USB 3.0 it? Just wondering if there will be a reason for Z68 owners to bother upgrading their motherboards.... assuming it's IB compatible.
If you've got a decent functioning Z68 board, there's definitely no reason to upgrade boards. So far early reports from CES show that manufacturers are using fewer/weaker power phases with the Panther Point boards since the Ivy Bridge chips have lower power requirements.

That being said, I've been a little disappointed with this last years worth of boards, had to RMA 2 Asus P8P67 Deluxe's and now I've got a ASRock Extreme4 gen3 in the black hole known as the ASRock RMA dept. It seems like the doa/failure rate of the P67/Z68 boards is about double that of other chipsets & generations of boards, so I'm anxious for a fresh new batch of boards.

The new Intel Rapid Start Technology & the wireless display & audio features sound interesting. Native usb 3.0, firmware recovery, smart connect, can't say they're all that exciting.

The only reason i could think of upgrading is if the new board offers 16 lanes of pcie 3.0.

16 lanes of pcie 3 is equivalent to 32 lanes of pcie 2.... so given that the motherboard comes with enough full size slots, you could reasonably have a triple card setup... but i'm sure that will require you to have an IB chip as well...

Well if you have Asus Gen3 board I see no reason to upgrade.
You can stick IB in that and use PCI-e 3 GPU

Well if you have Asus Gen3 board I see no reason to upgrade.
You can stick IB in that and use PCI-e 3 GPU
Ditto with the latest round of Gigabyte Z68 boards, the one I just picked up supports pci-e 3 native with "next gen 22nm CPUs" I'm guessing means IB

Back