Z77 MB recommendation?

jfharper

Limp Gawd
I have to stick with windows xp due to 3ds max license and other software...current workstation died. Was thinking of going with 3770k CPU for new build but don't know what Mb to get. Have read reviews on asus, but feel leary, gigabyte sounds good but don't know what Mb...can someone help? Asrock 1155 boards sound ok, but would like to feel a bit better.

OCF or the pumpkin Giga,..up4 maybe?
Also..Maximus V
Those are high-end boards..
Biostar h61MGC if you're not OCing..

Asus builds some of the best boards, only bad I've heard is RMA experiences are terrible if needed.
Gigabyte is not quite as focused, RMA usually not a problem.
Asrock offers a lot of features for the price, but compromises are made. RMA mixed rep.
I've had no difficulties with any of the three, but I try to know what I'm getting.

Recently just got some parts for a z77 build myself with a 3770k. Personally I bought the Asus maximus formula and have no complaints though you could probably get similar performance overclock performance from an Asus sabertooth. The Orange gigabytes are also great. I don't know much about asrock other than they're great value. I would definitely recommend Asus or gigabytes though.

Thanks...this is for business so I'll have to go new, won't be OCing, but need dependable CPU and MB...don't think I need water cooling so some of those boards may be more than what I need...just need dependable, not so much top speed...but since I'm bound to xp for a few years, I'm limited.

Sorry, also forgot to mention this will be for 32 bit...I know...I have no other choice at the moment.

Last edited:
Do you need ATX MB?

I just built a whole office full of workstations based on the Gigabyte Z87 and Z97 WiFi models.

They are excellent boards, well designed and the Z97 has ac wireless.

I was able to place these in a very small footprint package that had a PSU included, so kept the cost pretty low all around.:D

I'm just not sure about XP compatability.

I'll be using my old Quadro fx 4400 card and a sound card...that's all ill need if the board has gigabit LAN.

I'll be using my old Quadro fx 4400 card and a sound card...that's all ill need if the board has gigabit LAN.

That ITX board I recommended has on-board sound that should work fine, and two gigabit NICs.

First off, good Z77 boards are getting very hard to find. I'd recommend the Asus P8Z77-V or P8Z77-V Pro. Excellent boards. Don't listen to what people say about Asus RMA, most of the people who send thier boards in have broken them through shear ignorance, then they try to screw Asus for a new board.
Asus isn't stupid !

Thanks. I found a reference on a 3d forum to the p8z77-v with the 3770k, it's about a year old, but still I figure fast enough for my needs until I can save up for software upgrades. It was recommended to get the le or ok version to save a little. The v and v pro are starting to get too overpriced...the ok is a little overpriced, but not bad...like $10-20 more than what they used to sell for...I decided on the lk...didn't think I would gain from v or v pro that much to pay the over price...$50-$60 more.

These asus boards seemed to have sold alot, a lot or reviews. But I understand many OCing or messing up things...I've built all my 6 render node systems with t 6100 boards and opts 170 s...all are still going strong since 2006. I feel confident building and again will not OCing...I just like to by OCing boards because I feel like they are built to take a beating, but if you don't oc, should have solid board. Gigabytes were hard to find and way more price than I wanted to spend, plus I'm not sure i need the high end board... Intend to scale my projects to my client budgets...which is low-md range budgets...I don't get any high end budgets...prolly cuz I'm a freelancer and not a studio house.

Thanks for everyone help...now onto choosing the power supply, maybe aftermarket cooler, and case and ram...I was going to get 1600 ram cuz I read not big increase in speed woth 2400, if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

The MSI Z77 MPower was a great board - definitely should be a contender as it is strong and should be super affordable now :)

Back