Z68 question

Deltief

Limp Gawd
Should I cancel my order for Asus p67 Revolution for a Z68 mobo? I didnt know they were out yet untill about 5 min ago.

Do you have a need for the Z68 features? If so, do it. If not, don't. Plain and simple

Cancel and take Z68 it does not seem to have any draw backs only advantages. Maybe some day a video card will die and you will be glad you access to the GPU on the CPU. Or maybe some features in another OS will make better use of the GPU or added features.

The Z68 chipset offers a couple new features that have not been offered on other chipsets. First is the SSD caching; when using this technology your system will look at your usage of software from your hard drive and can place some of it on a SSD drive to speed up access to this information. This SSD caching can get you performance like you have a bigger SSD drive. You will see some smaller SSDs out there for this purpose in the 20GB and 40GB sizes.

The other main feature change to the Z68 is based off from the board having support for the IGP (Intergraded Graphics Processor). There are some Z68 boards that have been released without the support for IGP, on these boards you wouldn’t be use or have this next feature. The most of the Z68 boards will be able to overclock both the core clock speed and the processors graphics. In the past you could overclock the core speed on P67 boards and on H67 boards overclock the graphics now you can do both on the Z68 if it has support for IGP.

Also most of the Z68 boards are going to have built in support for Lucidlogix Virtu software. This software will look at the application that you are running and see if it be better run on the IGP or from the dedicated video card; ensuring that you get the best performance with your system.

Thanks IntelEnthusiast, my brother has a nice rig and I want one as well, im copying him almost exactly but i wat a different mobo.

IMHO, nVidia Synergy will make the cost of owning a z68 board cheaper than a p67 board over the life of the system.

If you pay your utilities, that is

WIth the Z68 board do you have to intall the Lucid Virtu software? Or can you hold off just using a discreet gpu as normal unitl the software matures?

WIth the Z68 board do you have to intall the Lucid Virtu software? Or can you hold off just using a discreet gpu as normal unitl the software matures?

It's only needed to switch between the IGP and descrete GPU, so you don't need it.

You will need the latest Intel video driver though.

O.K., 'cause like Deltief, I'm thinking upgrading to Z68, namely, my Asus p8p67 Deluxe to the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe and I already have a GTX580. I do video dev in Premiere Pro, but rather hold off Lucid Virtu stuff and stick with CUDA for the time being..... I also play a lot of games ;)

The reason for the upgrade is I need to build a new machine for one of my kids, and I'm figuring just handing him the p8p67 Deluxe I just built (just the mobo) and I get the P8Z68 Deluxe, otherwise, I could just stick with what I got and get him a p8p67 Pro or something.

You only need Virtue if you are running in (I)ntegrated mode connected to onboard graphics to virtualize your discrete card to power up for gaming and power down for desktop use. Or you can run in (D)iscrete mode and have full power from your AMD or nVidia card and virtualize the onboard for QuickSync encoding.

Without Virtu you would power down and put the video connection to your discrete card for gaming, or to your onboard port for encoding. Virtue allows both to work without crawling under the desk.

Integrated mode is for power saving, but has a performance hit. Discrete mode has no performance hit on gaming, but there will not be any power saving.

Integrated mode is for power saving, but has a performance hit. Discrete mode has no performance hit on gaming, but there will not be any power saving.

I guess discrete mode is the only option anyway on the Deluxe as there are no video ports on the Mobo also I have read that Integrated mode disables crossfire/sli.

Back