Z5500 - Replace Front Speakers?

strend

Gawd
I've seen the question asked before, and the response is typically that it's not worth it due to the Crossover issue.

My Xonar DX has a manual crossover section, and I confirmed with a tone generator that it does indeed work. Manual selection of crossover works through "6 Channel Direct" mode, but not in "Optical In" - the receiver over-rides to 120 with optical.

So, I'm looking for a pair of Bookshelf's in the $200 or less(less is good:) ) category to replace the front speakers of the Z5500's. Once I get around to building out a system, they'll probably be moved over to rear channel duty.

Any suggestions?

Preference for powered or externally amped?

No preference really, although it would be nice to keep the master volume control from the Z5500 pod. The location of my front speakers isn't within an arms reach.

It's a passive, physical, crossover wired in the Z-5500 system, all you are doing is adding additional crossover slopes.

It's a passive, physical, crossover wired in the Z-5500 system, all you are doing is adding additional crossover slopes.

Ah, That makes sense.

A friend is going to let me borrow a pair of Klipsch RSX-3's to see if this is worth it.

Ah, That makes sense.

A friend is going to let me borrow a pair of Klipsch RSX-3's to see if this is worth it.

Nope. It will sound really weird. The load on the amp will change and you really should make sure it doesn't immediately overheat. The speakers don't come close to matching and the now tiny center channel will sound hollow compared to the other real speakers.

Might as well just save up for a real stereo or get something like the Swan M10s, a receiver, and a sub.

Sound advice. I think I'll look into getting a receiver as a first step then. Thanks!

The RSX-3s will be an upgrade. There's no way a satellite speaker system can overload a beefy amplifier like on the Z-5500. Difference in sensitivity probably minimal but hey--there's a thing called tone controls on the control pod.

The RSX-3s will be significantly better than the Logitech drivers. The physical crossover is at 150hz, and the RSX-3s go down to 113hz @ -3db. Optimally you would have a speaker that goes flat to 100hz for a 150hz crossover (half an octave away), but you'd need probably RSX-4s to manage that. Still, a large improvement.

Back