• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

z5500 new vs refurb

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 9, 2002
Messages
3,515
As I browse ebay i notice factory feburbished 100% mint z5500s for ~50 bucks less than the new ones. Are these possibly new ones that were sent in for a recall without even being used therefore decreasing value and fixing the problem?

If not, I don't want to buy a new set and have whatever problems seem so common, then spent time/money getting a 'refurb'. My z680s never had a problem, I did have to add a custom rigged fan for that hot ass amp though, poor cooling.
 
Do you want us to try and predict what the speakers were returned for?

If they're refurbished, they're refurbished. If you're lucky it's possible that someone was picky about their sound, and didn't like the light hum that comes from the sub when the speakers are on. From what I hear and have experienced, this is a problem on pretty much all z-5500's. It's not noticeable when any sound is playing. if you're unlucky, some guy busted up the speakers pretty badly, returned them, they weren't refurbished properly, and your set will show symptoms of it.
 
iJeff said:
Do you want us to try and predict what the speakers were returned for?

If they're refurbished, they're refurbished. If you're lucky it's possible that someone was picky about their sound, and didn't like the light hum that comes from the sub when the speakers are on. From what I hear and have experienced, this is a problem on pretty much all z-5500's. It's not noticeable when any sound is playing. if you're unlucky, some guy busted up the speakers pretty badly, returned them, they weren't refurbished properly, and your set will show symptoms of it.

Im not particularly hoping that you would be able to predict things that I can't predict and arise a quantum physics topic. I was hoping my point would come across a bit differently with the context I used. Theres nothing you mentioned that I don't know, therefore I find it interesting that there are so many 'factory reconditioned' sets on ebay. And I do specifically mean the 5500s.

I'm wondering why there are so many refurbs and what the most plausable cause for a refurb would be on a new set of speakers, still packaged originally in the original box. Other than the nuissance of a hiss I don't care. Besides, people complaining about hissing on 500watt setup didn't buy the speakers for the right reason ;)

How are all of your experiences with them? If there has been a less of a percentage of defection with this model than the 680s then the 50 bucks can become a deciding factor.
 
Back
Top