Z170 boards for OCing and possible 7700K compatibility?

Shocked

Limp Gawd
Since I have to build a system now I'm going with a 6700K, but I'm likely going to buy Microcenter's $30 warranty plan which will essentially let me bring the 6700K back and exchange it for a 7700K by paying any difference. I'd have 2 years to do it but I'd probably do so as soon as release + my board has support for it.

Are any of the manufacturers particularly better about providing BIOS updates for future chip compatibility? I used ASUS boards for a long time, more recently I switched to MSI after having issues with a few ASUS boards in a row, but I've never been in a position where I wanted to use a new chip in an old board so it's not something I ever paid much attention to.

I've largely been considering the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7. Might consider giving ASUS a chance again with the Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 after reading that new [H] review. Also heard good things about the OCing ability of the ASrock OC Formula, though partly in terms of RAM OCing which I don't bother with anymore.

The OC-Formula is pretty much the best you can get if you want solid overclocking.
But might be too much if you just plan to do a basic oc. If you don't want to overclock [H] :D you can always go for something more basic.

I have the OC Formula, but not sure of Im going to get the new CPUs, depends on how well they seem to overclock...

Back