z - 680 vs z-5500 logitech

azure

Limp Gawd
I have z - 680's messed them up ( long story short, I think I got liquid on the controller box), I was wondering if anyone had them and bought z- 5500. Is there any real benefit to the z- 5500's?

I had my mind made up when I noticed the z - 680's back on new egg for 219$. I originally bought them at 350$ at compusa.

I am going to order tomorrow, should I get another set of z- 680's? or go for the z- 5500's for 30$ more when you factor in shipping?

thoughts?

I like how the Z5500s look a lot more- not as cheapie looking. They use the same electronics, IIRC, so you should get the same quality out of both. Then again, there is a chance the Z680s may still require a firmware upgrade because of the hissing issue- I'd be really surprised if the 5500s still needed this!

I had Logitech Z-680 and didn't like it a bit. Now that I have Logitech Z-5500 with speaker wire version and so far I am very pleased with the sound and bass. Even though the base is weaker than 680 but I am very happy with it; the 680s bass was too overwhelm.

Eggs got $0.01 shipping on the z-5500's right now ;) I am SOOOO rempted to get them. I live in a condo and am afraid the bass will be too much and disturb my neighbor.

How does one update the firmware in speakers? Got a link, for future refrence?

Thanks

Amazon used to have this for <260 shipped but right now TD is in business. I think it will be back in sometimes next week so wait for a little bit.

Okay, my mistake. There was a firmware upgrade, but it doesn't look like you could do it yourself- can you say "RMA"? ;) (Google for more info on this.) There was a problem in the original firmware on the control pod for the 680 set.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they never figured out how to flash over the optical SPDIF plug. Seeing as it's a 100% digital connection, I'm sure they could have figured out some way to transmit data over it besides sound- for example, data to reflash the firmware.

Good point ;).

Any way of telling which youve got without taking them out of the box?

I bought a pair of z-680s for christmas, and the firmware problem is gone. Any supplier that moves their inventory relatively fast should have z-680s without the hissing issue (ie, Amazon, Newegg, etc.). Only early versions of the speakers had the hissing problem.

If you are looking for the Z-5500's Dell has them on sale right now with free shipping... $224.25...

Logitech Z-5500

Ordered mine a few days ago. Dell doesn't carry any inventory on these and orders them directly from Logitech so they should all be the new "speaker wire" version.

im confused, what do u guys mean by the new "speaker wire type"... is there an updated version of the 5500's that connect using wire detacheable from both ends versus the type that is connected permanently to the speaker base?

Yes. From what I understand versions that have been shipped out since Jan. are connected with plain ol' speaker wire from the sub to the sats instead of the fixed RCA jack.

The RCA jacks were the only thing holding me back from purchasing these sooner.

The z - 680's that I have, that I messed up the controller box on, did not have the dreaded hiss. BTW, I ordered the z-5500 from newegg afterall (99 cent shipping fed ex saver). Just waiting for the speakers to get here. I have been without (speakers ) for a few months, I barely got the money. I miss the sound, have been using some good head phones (altec Lansing) but miss the real top of the line sound.

I hope the z - 5500's deliver.

"I had Logitech Z-680 and didn't like it a bit. Now that I have Logitech Z-5500 with speaker wire version and so far I am very pleased with the sound and bass. Even though the base is weaker than 680 but I am very happy with it; the 680s bass was too overwhelm."

Thats because Logitech actually did something right in the speaker department, they made a sub that wasn't extremely boomy. The 10" can actually dip below 30hz, though not as low as the Ultra's sub.

Hooting:

Do you have the Klipsch Ultras? It would be interesting to see how low they really go, if you have an SPL meter laying about.

I do have them, but no SPL meter. Next time I'm around radioshack I'll take a look at one. The designers at Klipsch decieded to hand the sub over to the referance design team. They managed to get RW-10 levels out of it. So I'm gonna assume its somewhere around 25Hz ±3dB and its sensitivity is 110dB @ 30hz, 1/8 space, 1 meter, which is close to the RW-10s specs.

Hooting:

Isn't the Ultra sub just a pair of 8" woofers? Getting down to 25hz for the F3 would be pretty impressive, given enclosure size and amplifier power. By all means, if you get that SPL meter, give us some numbers =]

I just finished installing the z 5500's, the bass is less 'boomie', than my old z -680's. If you are concerned that the bass won't live up to expectations, you will be surprised, they still bass harder than my 1000 watt panasonic surround sound in my living room. I am very happy with the purchase. BTW, the wires are the newer ones that you can change the lenth etc and plug in the positive and negative lines etc.

Could have been PMPO output, that would skew the results for your HT[IB I would guess]

you logitech guys are funny.

do yourselves a favor and buy a set of real speakers. the utlras/giga works come to mind. logitech aims nothing but to please a 16 yr old's taste for bleedy bass, and nothing else. if you want any midrange or highs, you better not look at logitech. in fact, their bass is sloppy too. yes, even the 5500s. and no, i'm not just saying that to say so, but becaue i've owned/used them all extensively at one point. they're just not...musical.

PinchyCM said:

do yourselves a favor and buy a set of real speakers. the utlras/giga works come to mind. logitech aims nothing but to please a 16 yr old's taste for bleedy bass, and nothing else. if you want any midrange or highs, you better not look at logitech. in fact, their bass is sloppy too. yes, even the 5500s. and no, i'm not just saying that to say so, but becaue i've owned/used them all extensively at one point. they're just not...musical.

I am 16 years old. I have the a-680!! damn the bass is badass!!! haha I think I prove ur point :)
the bass CAN be tight if you dont put it all the way up to half way.....(on the sub) I put it on the second to lowest(lowest being the sub is turned off) and the bass is ver ncie and punchy...

PinchyCM said:

Interesting how you delineate between two brands of computer only speakers, with one being considered real speakers, the other not :p

I'd argue that Klipsch isn't too much better than Logitech. Honestly, for those prices, you just can't have your cake and eat it too, IMO.

I argue that if you use proper audio testing proceedure you will find that the sub on the Ultras are not only deeper, but louder and have a much flatter respondse. As for the sats, common knowledge and physics state that a speaker system with seperate drivers for HF and LF are going to have a flatter response curve.

Hooting:

I'd agree with you, from my limited experience with Logitech speakers. However, you always have to factor in that the manufacturer could totally fuck the crossover =]

on the earlier models such as the z 640 the bass is better than the one on the z 680.

But on the z 680 and on the z 5500 the bass sounds crap, ill make an exception for 16 year olds.

on the z 680 the sattelite speakers are outstanding, but the sub is crap.

if you want good subs get pioneer, jbl, or audiobahn

Total disagreement there. From professional experience as a former HT salesman and installer, I have to say that Klipsch makes excellent subs. I haven't heard a sub that sounds better at the same price point than Klipsch. Especially under $1000. The only brand that I believe to counter that claim is Velodyne. This is keeping in mind that sound is subjective and we will all have different opinions. But also note the Klipsch speakers in general have higher efficiency ratings meaning more fuller sound at the same power output.

kidcash said:
on the earlier models such as the z 640 the bass is better than the one on the z 680.

But on the z 680 and on the z 5500 the bass sounds crap, ill make an exception for 16 year olds.

on the z 680 the sattelite speakers are outstanding, but the sub is crap.

your post is barely comprehensible.

I thought the 640 subwoofer was alot boomier and bottomed out alot quicker than the one on the 680. the 680 use tangbang drivers in a poor enclosure, nothing outstanding about them.

The Z5500s, look damn cool, and they sound alright, but being an owner of the 5500s, and knowing friends who have the 680s, and the klipsches, the 680s mids and highs are a little cheezy, but the bass is louder and tighter, realatively, but both sets have messy, but earthshaking bass compared to klipsches, the 5500s sub, despite its 2" advantage is harder to control, and it shows, the bass response isnt always as precise as it should be but it is no doubt loud and puts out more powerful frequencies, as opposed to the 680 sub, which is just plain loud. Now, the 5500 control pod is sleek and sexy and easy to work with, easy to read, i love it. Unfortunately I got the hardwired version of the 5500s, and I just found out there is a speaker wire version available now. :mad: grr..
Anyways, I would got for the 5500s, if you like rumbley, earthshaking, powerful, but messy bass, or go with the klipsches if you like weak, but accuarate bass.

wolfofsin said:
Total disagreement there. From professional experience as a former HT salesman and installer, I have to say that Klipsch makes excellent subs. I haven't heard a sub that sounds better at the same price point than Klipsch. Especially under $1000. The only brand that I believe to counter that claim is Velodyne. This is keeping in mind that sound is subjective and we will all have different opinions. But also note the Klipsch speakers in general have higher efficiency ratings meaning more fuller sound at the same power output.

SVS, Hsu and AV123 all make subs under 1000$ that would most likely destroy anything Klipsch has to offer in the same price bracket. For instance, that price would get you, shipped also, a PB12/2-ISD, with dual 12" drivers and 800W of amp. Sure, the sub's the size of an end table, but it'll have prodigious output. If you are interested, there's a thread over at AVS discussing Klipsch subs vs the Internet competition...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=502518

Back