Z-5500's worth it?

SafeFire

n00b
Hey, I'm looking to snatch up some speakers soon (just turned 18, scored some cash and some speakers that I returned).

I'm a little so and so about blowing £300 on a set of speakers (that's what they cost here), so I've settled on either the G51, or the Z-5500.

Which to pick, the G51 or the Z-5500's. I'll be listening to music ripped in vbr mp3 format, playing games and occasionally watching some movies with them. I've got quite good hearing too, so I rarely listen to anything very loud.

Thanks!

sigh.

If you have good ears, listen mostly to music, and live in the UK: why not search the used audio listings there? I am certain that you could find a nice stereo for 300. Plenty of fine British audio companies.

sigh.

If you have good ears, listen mostly to music, and live in the UK: why not search the used audio listings there? I am certain that you could find a nice stereo for 300. Plenty of fine British audio companies.

ehemmm......indeeed!:cool:

Like they said, you should look around.
z5500 is worth it at maybe 200 US dollars(to me). Not ever at 300lbs which is about 600 dollars, no way. I bought the kefs for about 500 dollars on sale, I am not sure if you can get kefs cheap in UK, which you should, maybe not at sale price I got, but still at 300lbs, you have lots of options I am sure if you look around.

Yeah but everything is expensive here. GTX 280 costs $800 at launch, V2400W monitor costs $700, etc... :(

It's a false comparison to look at UK prices for the Z5500's and value it based on what you pay in the US for things (ie much cheaper!).

I bought the Z5500's, they're nice. The multiple inputs are great too, allows you to have a console and your PC plugged into the speakers at the same time, no messing with cables.

ooooooooooook go ahead and live in that fantasy land of pc speakers are worth a poop.

same $$ = much better sound if you go with a receiver and real speakers.

tiny little satellites SUCK for midrange and especially mid bass.

LOL my SHerwood 6500 and Rocket 550 MKIIs cost me less than the 5500s. Guess what owns what?

Not really making fun so much as wanting folks to experience real sound for the same $$ they spend on cheap "pc" crap. Aka just trying to make your lives better. Things suck bad enough. Your stereo doesn't have to.

I got them because they were relatively cheap $180--and I needed the inputs. The subwoofer is loud and the speakers themselves seem crisp enough for gaming and the like.

Also, spaceman: not all of us have the room for a reciever and real speakers. Trying that in a college dorm room only leads to trouble--and less space.

Thanks for the input people.

I know some proper audiophiles who all rock studio speakers and mad receivers. They all told me to go a similar way.
The problem is though, that I haven't got the space for that kind of equipment on my computer desk.

I was trying to decide whether or not to get a set of pc speakers, or some real ones.
The reason why I didn't include the option of going for real equipment in this thread was that I wanted to know what to pick, if I were to go for pc speakers. Having audiophile friends would've settled the battle on the real speaker front.

I'm not telling what I went for, though :p

i grew out of the z5500's and i'm starting to grow out of the Onkyo SR-800 speakers i have for that matter...

but for the money, z5500's rock!

My current audio room is smaller than most. I built a vertical unit which is over 6' tall but only 3' wide and 2' deep. Fits anything. I could have 3 receivers on it.

Imagine. Think. Invent. Find a way to make it happen.

Totally worth it.

I am working on a small footprint system to recommend. Just been feeling terrible lately due to having my skeleton re-arranged every 3 days. fun

i grew out of the z5500's and i'm starting to grow out of the Onkyo SR-800 speakers i have for that matter...

but for the money, z5500's rock!
Is the subwoofer with the Onkyo setup better than the Z5500 woofer? The Z5500 woofer is ok but not great. Before I was using z Polk 12" sub with a receiver and it was awesome but I moved that stuff into the living room and bought a PC-centric sound system (Z5500) and the sub just doesn't compare to the $150 Polk 12", heh. A local electronic chain (Electronic Express) has the Onkyo stuff on closeout for $350! I don't really need it but I might go see if they have one in the store to listen to.

No the Onkyo sounds like it is a HTIB sub. The 12" that you have is better. Generally speaking, look for at least 10"-12" with 150 watts rms. If you would like suggestions for alternate subs to buy, there are several within the $100-200 range which are excellent.

Back