Z-2300's or better solution for $100 more?

JamesL

Gawd
I already have decent headphones running off a Auzen Prelude, and plan to upgrade later along with dedicated dac/amp solution, so I want some speakers for the occasional times I have friends over, or I don't feel like wearing headphones.

I plan to spend $70 for a Z-2300 which I think would be decent enough for movies and such, but I wouldn't mind paying an extra $100 or so for bookshelves if I can get better fidelity, on top of explosive bass and small footprint of the z2300s.
As far as the size goes, up to about 8" tall, 6" wide is ok.
My main concern is the subwoofer - Can I connect a subwoofer & 2 bookshelves to a single pre-amp/t-amp to share a single volume dial?
Any other solutions are appreciated as well.

Defenetly go for the Klipsch promedia's 2.1, they're alot better than the z-2300's...you can get em off ebay for under $100.

they're alot better than the z-2300's...
A lot better as in.. you've heard both of them before, and you really think the promedia's are that much better? Or you've just read that they're a lot better?
These two speakers seem to be the most debated 2.1 speakers... and there are arguments on both side. Promedia generally in favor of better sq - z-2300 for better first-impression & more solidly built. None overwhelmingly better than the other in any category. Both have their pro's and cons, and right now, I'm just going for whichever one's cheaper =)

I was in the same situation a couple months back, I wanted a 2.1 system...so after nearly 2 weeks of doing research, and asking on countless websites, the answer was always the ProMedia's. But if you want to know, a buddy of mine has the Z-2300, and I have the ProMedia's. In my opinion, theirs no competition.

Altec Lansing FX4021 looks intersting. It's got 0.75" tweeter and 2" midrange...seems optimal almost...except unlike most 3-ways with a midbass driver, it's just dual 5.25" subs (a fairly large sub).

I can't say how it sounds, the satellites appear to be fantastic given the drivers used but the real question is midrange spillover on the subwoofer.

Back