Yup, more Vista ?'s

Smoov

n00b
I know about the 3.5 of 4GB of RAM showing with Vista 32. All I really want to know is there a big difference between 32 & 64? All I really do is play a FPS game. I do play many hours a day though. I have a Dual Core CPU. I have 4GB of RAM. A mobo that holds up to 8GB of RAM. Dont know if this little info helps with an answer. If there is a huge difference, will I be alright with gaming for now? Plus, I snagged Vista Ultimate for $50. JYEAH! Thanks for the help!

Depending on the type of video card you have, you may not see any more RAM anyway by switching to Vista64. The biggest thing to do is look at your games and apps. Do any of them have any optimizations for 64 bit OSes, or offer separate 64 bit versions? If not, there would be little reason to switch. If you have a video card with 512 MB of video memory, that's a PCI-E card, you won't see any extra memory either.

So long as you have or can locate 64-bit drivers for your hardware there is no real reason not to go ahead with the x86-64 version of Vista (or XP for that matter).

You'd be suprised at just how much more responsive XP x86-64 or Vista x86-64 is in day to day usage especially if you have a large amount of RAM.

You'll have the odd asshole pop in here and say that there is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the o/s, but the only real way for you to find out is to try it for yourself and see.

You'll have the odd asshole pop in here and say that there is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the o/s, but the only real way for you to find out is to try it for yourself and see.

QFT, I've used both 32 and 64, and found 64bit better in my experiences. Just like anyhting else, you'll have an asshat ripping up 64 with no experience using it......I come across that quite a bit........well, he says 64bit isn't as good, or I heard there is just way too many problems with it.....knowing full well the have NO experience with it.

Well, call me an asshole then, because I ran XP64 on my work computer (in my sig), and noticed absolutely zero performance differences with XP32. It ran just fine, and I had all drivers available to me, so I didn't have any real issues. I've just never seen in my own experiences with XP64 and Vista64 on the same test computers to say it performas any better or faster. I also won't say it performs any worse, either.

Maybe people install dualboot 32/64 bit and then compare the new 64 bit installation to the 5-year trashed 32-bit one. Gosh jolly the new installation seems responsive! ;)

Just wait untill you install F-secure on that baby. Your quad-core system will wait 3-4 seconds for each folder to open.

I ran Vista 32 and switched to Vista 64, one thing that I did notice, and I tried on multiple Vista 32 installs, was that java works in IE on Vista 64 but would not work on Vista 32. I guess it works for most people though, so I do not know what that was. And Vista 64 has some kernel protections for security that Vista 32 does not have. Otherwise I have not noticed much difference. Vista 64 had all my drivers on the disc, so that should not be a concern unless you have obscure hardware. Hope this helps a little, and good luck.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Vista on my desktop, and the 32-bit version on my laptop. The difference? Virtually none, with the exception of 64-bit applications feeling a bit more responsive. With that said, I'd recommend going with the 64-bit version if it's a possibility for you simply because there will be more and more 64-bit applications coming out over the next few years. Coupled with the fact that there's no drawbacks to running the 64-bit version assuming you have the drivers for your hardware means there's no reason not to go with it. It'll only help you in the long run.

Depending on the type of video card you have, you may not see any more RAM anyway by switching to Vista64. The biggest thing to do is look at your games and apps. Do any of them have any optimizations for 64 bit OSes, or offer separate 64 bit versions? If not, there would be little reason to switch. If you have a video card with 512 MB of video memory, that's a PCI-E card, you won't see any extra memory either.
I put my PC specs in my sig. Im not worried about RAM. I have plenty for the video game I play. Im pretty sure Im fine with what I have. What I was wondering, am I being limited of what my PC can do for gaming by having a 32 bit OS?

Thanks

As it stands today, you aren't limited in your gaming ability. As more and more games release 64bit optimized versions, you will eventually see a difference.

I have two laptops with 32 bit Business and one PC with 64 Bit. I notice that 64 bit is far more stable than the 32 bit laptops when it comes to certain things. The 64 bit install just seems to load stuff up better and far smoother than the 32, which are not that far off specs wise. I had 32 on that machine as well and you may not notice much of a difference but as stated when 64 bit apps appear more on the market then you certainly will. And if you have spent the money to get 4 GB of ram then go 64 or you will only be able to see and use 3GB and to me that is like throwing cash into a fire since you will not be using your machine to its fullest.

Hey, thanks a lot guys. The main reason why I went with 4GB of RAM is because I had the money at the time. If I tried to go with 2GB then get 2 more down the road, it wouldn't happen. I'm horrible with cash:D I figured with all the new games about to come out supporting DX10, you will see more supporting 64 bit as stated above. I guess I know what to ask my girl for Christmas:D

I'm running Vista 64 at the moment. I need to get XP set up too for dual booting, maybe even just saying the heck with it and making the XP my main OS. Vista has some neat stuff, I'm not really put off by the OS itself, it's just some compatability issues, like not being able to use my Sony eReader software in the Vista 64 that annoys me. I think the bigger deals are when I start trying to load and play games in Vista, if the overall experience (including games with my X-fi) just isn't as good, Vista may become just a hobby for me for now. At least until UT3 comes out. :)

Back