YouTube's Search Autofill Surfaced Disturbing Child Sex Results

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Over this past weekend many users were reporting that the autofill function of YouTube's search was bringing back phrases that only a pedophile would like. YouTube isn't sure what is causing it, but they do suspect it's a troll attempt against them. Regardless, coding error or trolls, YouTube needs to fix this pretty quickly to salvage their reputation.

Dozens of users have reported that a YouTube search for "how to have" is autocompleting with pedophiliac phrases. But some suspect it could be part of a larger coordinated trolling effort.

Those damn Russians are at it again...

And the strange thing is, this will probably be the reason technology becomes a lot less user friendly in the future. Because of how easy it is to troll these autofills, and other things, I can see it as the only acceptable answer is to remove them.

I have to question people who search for "How to have..." in the first place
How to have... what? a good time? a baby? an aneurysm?

What? It's the crackdown on hollywoo they're afraid and have turned to the net to find their entertainment.

No one needs auto-fill. Frankly, I still find it annoying.
Sometimes I find it useful when I'm searching for a long phrase and I don' have to spell the entire thing out. Especially when I'm searching in a foreign language. But sure there is some weird stuff cropping up from time to time, and I hope not because they associated it with my interests.

And the strange thing is, this will probably be the reason technology becomes a lot less user friendly in the future. Because of how easy it is to troll these autofills, and other things, I can see it as the only acceptable answer is to remove them.

I agree, REMOVE THE TROLLS!

No one needs auto-fill. Frankly, I still find it annoying.
I find it great when I'm trying to compare something, like 2 subjects of which I know little about and thus dont even refer to one of them correctly. Auto-fill suggest something and I'm like "ding! yeah thats much better than what I would have written"

I can see this being a 4chan troll. They did the same thing to the translation AI and got it to replace most of the Somalian language with the N-word.

I agree, REMOVE THE TROLLS!

I think Denmark is already working on that.

Putting strange shit into the google box one character at a time is a good party game...

It's amazing what people look for. :)

Back