YouTuber Sued Over Stanley Kubrick Movies Analysis

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is one of those cases that just makes your blood boil. I don't know what copyright law in the UK is like but if this isn't fair use, I don't know what is. The worst part is that this guy is going to have to pay to defend himself, even though this is a frivolous lawsuit. :(

A YouTube user who creates video essays has been hit with a punishing lawsuit after selecting Stanley Kubrick as a subject matter and uploading his work to YouTube. UK-based Lewis Bond from Channel Criswell is being targeted by the music publishers behind the 1971 classic 'A Clockwork Orange' who want huge damages for willful infringement.

/trigger warning: I don't see what the infringement is. I really don't. Honestly, these people should be machine gunned to death. They are such god awful parasites and the world would be a much better place without them. /sarc because sjw safe space sensitivities and shit.

The way Serendip filed that lawsuit almost sounds like they have never even seen his videos and they are only aware of the fact that 'their' music is in them and nothing more.

I feel bad for the guy....

To quote the Eagles: "Old Billy was right: let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight."

The way Serendip filed that lawsuit almost sounds like they have never even seen his videos and they are only aware of the fact that 'their' music is in them and nothing more.

I feel bad for the guy....
Unfortunately for him by playing the music as background track and not snippits from the film it somewhat goes away from fair use they have enough of a case that a judge would easily see this and depending on their arguments can very well win. That being said the damages in such a case if they won would be nowhere near the maximum. People who own music copyrights are really dicks about it. More likely than not this is an attempted shakedown to get a couple thousand out of the guy though a settlement.

Unfortunately for him by playing the music as background track and not snippits from the film it somewhat goes away from fair use they have enough of a case that a judge would easily see this and depending on their arguments can very well win. That being said the damages in such a case if they won would be nowhere near the maximum. People who own music copyrights are really dicks about it. More likely than not this is an attempted shakedown to get a couple thousand out of the guy though a settlement.
Hopefully the EFF will get wind and arrange for some top notch pro bono attorneys to represent them.

Thing is I've never put together a video let alone put one on YouTube but even I know you do not use protracted bits of copyright material unless you want someone sending you a legal letter in the post. Amazing how ignorant of copyright people are. I know lots of people that have just Google Searched for stock pictures to put on their website and then moaned bitterly when the Getty Museum (whatever) send them a bill for £5000+.

I think people feel that if it's on the internet it's ALL free.

1. I'm curious as to how Serendip will argue that a court in New York has personal jurisdiction over a UK resident. They should sue him in the UK ... where Bond will be able to recover his actual defense costs once he prevails (thanks to the "English Rule" of attorney-fee recovery). But maybe that's why they're suing him in the US...

Their accusation of "derivative works" is amusing considering how much of the Clockwork Orange soundtrack is rearrangements of other people's music, made without the composers' permission (for obvious reasons).

Back