YouTube videos barely play and constantly re-buffer on fios?

rpeters83

Gawd
I have a 30mbps fios connection. However, I can never seem to get youtube videos to play smoothly, on any video resolution. My connection is solid, but only youtube videos constantly rebuffer. Other sites, like vimeo, play perfectly fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I had seen this lately and assumed that Youtube was just having more traffic than they could handle in the evening...

But then I loaded-up a "Youtube downloader" (.flv downloader really...), and it was downloading them at a good rate, so dunno...

My advise - get a good video downloader, then just download the entire clip then watch it with your fav FLV player...

Same here, but only in the evening.... when more people are using bandwidth.... imagine that.

Thats just the way it is unless you pony up for a dedicated pipe. Even then, the source is getting hit harder as well, in this case Youtube.

Same here, but only in the evening.... when more people are using bandwidth.... imagine that.

Thats just the way it is unless you pony up for a dedicated pipe. Even then, the source is getting hit harder as well, in this case Youtube.

But it's not a bandwidth issue, it's the way the Youtube player add-on for your browser is buffering the feed...

If you don't believe me, again, everything right now in my browser is unwatchable... but if I load my favorite FLV downloader, it can download a 10-min unwatchable vid in now time, proving that bandwidth isn't the issue...

Most of the time I find that 480p loads far faster than 360p (but not 720p), so if you have the option, try changing video quality.

I'm on a 50Mbps connection (pulls close to 60 most of the time) and it does it for me as well. It's not an issue on our end of our connections, that much I can assure you. It's YouTube... ;)

I don't know. I can play 1080p YouTube on my 15Mbit Time Warner connection no problem.

There are differences between server bandwidth on YouTube though as all the videos are not located at every YouTube server.

It's a highly distributed environment.

If a video goes popular it may be only stored on one smaller server in New York. This can cause bandwidth problems for those in California and vice versa. Or if a certain server has lots of load and is the only source of a specific video.

Though if this is happening with all videos then there could be other problems. Try a different browser or update your flash player to 10.2

I'm having the same issue with U-verse on a 12 mbps connection. It's been like this for over a month. Before then, I used to stream 720p and 1080p videos without issue. Now, every video-- 240p up to 1080p-- regardless of time of day always re-buffers. This is even with torrents off and router resetted several times, nothing works. I'm usually watching Vocaloid videos, auto review videos, and individual people performing music on violin or piano. It's all I mostly watch on there.

Other sites that stream video such as MSNBC.com and Niconico are having similar issues. I have no idea if it's a bug in Flash (10.2 beta) or something else.

Everything else outside of Youtube and streaming video sites-- torrents, file transfers, and web pages-- work fine. It's odd.

Same problem and the worst buffering videos are either very old or very unpopular. As to why downloading is quicker than streaming, that is because you using a download manager which optimizes the speed of your connection. Go to YouTube and open a random video, right click and choose "show video info" watch the kbps number next to HTTP. Say your connection is 5000kbps (500kB/s) while its streaming that number keeps jumping from 0 to 2000 to 5000 and some time it freezes for 10-15seconds on 0kbps. This makes it quiet inconsistent and keeps buffering all the time. I don't know the reason for this. Maybe they need a new way to divide and sent data to keep up with the huge traffic they generate. Vimeo don't have this problem but then again hardly anyone use Vimeo.

Back