YouTube Star Buys $4.5M Home

What was in the "trust" money, was it strictly YT money, or was there other money there?

Either way, these people worked for their money, I see nothing wrong with living and enjoying it. Rock on, if I could, I'd do the same damned thing! :)

A youtube star is the equivalent of a one-hit wonder.

That's a huge, and terrible assumption. A one hit wonder would be having one video with lots of views. Having a channel and still making videos getting many views, means you don't know what one hit wonder means.

I never really understood the attraction of Minecraft videos, but they seem popular on youtube. Many of them get view counts by the millions.

Minecraft has a huge userbase & many kids(15 & under) these days like watching these videos the same way I like watching sports & TV programs, possibly instead of going and playing the game or sport instead. My nephew has been watching these kinds of things with friends for years now. It just seems to be a new thing to watch that has taken off. I'm sure it's the same way our parents did not understand us doing many things growing up as well.

The Trust money mentioned in the article may mean he was extremely well off even without his YT $. Many here sound jealous or think hes stupid for buying a this house, in that location.

Guess that's how opinions work though.

What a hipster looking house! Ew.

4.5 mil for that?!

When you are rich, you can afford to have poor taste. When you are rich, most people around you will just pretend to do not have poor taste.

According to Zillow's tax history tab, 2014's tax bill was ~$47K when it was assessed at $3.9M so it'll be a bit more when he gets the tax bill.

Funny thing is...I didn't recognize the name until I read the article and it mentioned CaptainSparklez.
Also, the article does note that it was "via trust"...so...trust fund?

I still don't recognize the name....

As far as "via trust" goes, probably not a trust fund in the sense you are thinking. He established a trust and that entity actually bought the house instead of him personally.

That's not a terribly uncommon practice. If you've any form of personal assets, it becomes pretty attractive when planning out your estate/will. It helps avoid a lot of legal work and estate taxes if you happen to pass. I've done the same thing with our cars/home/rental properties and would suggest everyone weigh the pros/cons of a family based trust as well. Even if you only own your home and no other properties, it can be of benefit to you.

What was in the "trust" money, was it strictly YT money, or was there other money there?

Replace the word "trust" with "llc" or "sole proprietor of corporation". Till you are 18 you cant do alot of things, but a LLC/corp/trust can.

The parents might have setup a trust so the 14 year old at the time can go nutts (Macaulay Culkin did the same thing). Odds are the trust still has stipulations even after he turns/turned 18.

So RomanAtwood and VitalyzdTV are millionaires too ?

They have better content than this CaptainSparklez who just records his screen, the same goes with PewDiePie... - silliness and boring stuff

Some people enjoy LA? Why is this so hard for some of you to understand...not everyone wants to live in a basement in the middle of nowhere :eek:

Yup... while I would never want to live in LA myself, not everyone has my sense of taste either, I also wouldn't want to live in NYC either and every time some New Yorker accent talks about how it's the best place on Earth I chuckle inside. But as much as I would like to have a 1 acre lot to have a house and back yard, I also don't want to live in one of the flyover states where that kind of stuff is possible ;)

Did you guys read the whole article (why am I asking, of course you didn't)? It says last year another YouTube/MineCraft poster bought a house for $70 million! Insanity!

Did you guys read the whole article (why am I asking, of course you didn't)? It says last year another YouTube/MineCraft poster bought a house for $70 million! Insanity!

That was Notch, not another YouTube/Minecraft poster. If I had a couple billion, I could afford a $70 million house too without blinking an eye.

To make $70 million as a YouTube personality? Would that even be possible?

As far as "via trust" goes, probably not a trust fund in the sense you are thinking. He established a trust and that entity actually bought the house instead of him personally.

What he said. This kid (or his adviser) is a lot smarter than it looks on the surface. He didn't throw his money away by buying this house, a (good) trust fund is set up to grow over time. With that much cash in it it will grow at a rate that should cover his mortgage and taxes with the dividends, leaving the original investment untouched or growing (if the dividends are bigger than the expenses), not to mention that the value of the house will increase over time. I've seen it first-hand, my ex-wife's trust fund grew from $500k to $1.5m while the economy recovered from the 2008 recession. Not that I got a penny of it :p.

To make $70 million as a YouTube personality? Would that even be possible?

In a year? Probably not. In total, yes. PewDiePie has made $85 mil over his span. Granted, he only saw $42 mil of that after getting taxed. If he can maintain his popularity for 2-3 more years, I can see him having $70 mil after taxes.

You know, it is very possible guys that he is buying the home for the sake or sitting on it for a bit, Then selling for 5 mil, 6 mil etc..I hear people do make money from time to time in the real estate market.;)

I will never understand why people pay this much for houses. This isn't coming from a position of jealousy, far from it, but GODDAMN, WHY would anyone squander so much money on something like that? It isn't only the purchase price either, with a place like that, you have the property taxes, and other (very expensive) upkeep...even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't waste it on something that expensive to buy then maintain. Doing shit like that is how you get poor again.

Yeah I would prefer to build something in the <1M range and probably out of any jurisdiction so I don't have to pay so many taxes. Like a nice offgrid cottage somewhere with lot of property around it. Idealy not TOO far from city, but away from it. Maybe even buy a whole lake. I'd bring internet to it too. Ok, it would be semi off grid. :D No way would I pay lot of money only to be in a big busy area with lot of taxes and bylaws.

Yeah I would prefer to build something in the <1M range and probably out of any jurisdiction so I don't have to pay so many taxes. Like a nice offgrid cottage somewhere with lot of property around it. Idealy not TOO far from city, but away from it. Maybe even buy a whole lake. I'd bring internet to it too. Ok, it would be semi off grid. :D No way would I pay lot of money only to be in a big busy area with lot of taxes and bylaws.

Good luck with that anywhere in California.

Really? "hipster looking house" lol
The house looks amazing, some great architecture.

I feel it's kind of "hipster" like. It's probably because of the one room with the mirror sun things all over it. The rest look to be done up in a very modern look.

I say it's great architecture, in the sense that they made great use of a crap area to build a house on. Compared to other homes, I wouldn't consider it great architecture. Overall, I wouldn't pick that home to purchase. A bunch of small rooms and a swimming pool you can't really swim in. It looks like a wading pool.

I think it would have been better to make each floor a single room, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be structurally sound if it didn't have walls and it'd look ugly if it just had pillars in the middle of the rooms and such. Not much to do with that area, unless you wanted to do some crazy landscaping, like dig out a rectangular block from the ground.

Back