YouTube Planning Paid Streaming TV Service?

HardOCP News

[H] News
It must be that time of year again, the YouTube paid streaming TV rumors are popping up all over the internet again. Maybe this time the rumors or true?

Now YouTube is reportedly in talks with those same networks to stream TV through a paid service called Unplugged that could serve as a Web-based alternative to the cable box. The news, first reported by Bloomberg on Wednesday, comes on the same day that Hulu said it would soon offer a so-called skinny bundle of broadcast and cable TV channels.

I think it's the only way those channels will ultimately survive. I just cut the cord yesterday. Additionally, one person at work cut it and one more is looking at options to cut. I think it's happening at an accelerated rate. We'll just sub to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, or whatever YouTube comes up with. The best thing Netflix could do to help ensure it's survival, down the road, is to include options like Vue. Would help their subscriber base I think.

Surprised they haven't by now really.

I need to cut the cord myself, rarely watch the cable TV boxes.

Last edited:
Surprised they haven't by now really.

I need to but the cord myself, rarely watch the cable TV boxes.

thats what I did, it ended up being only watched cable for one tv show and football. Now I find other ways of streaming football and never need cable. Sub to Netflix, Amazon, HBO. enough there to keep me happy.

No thanks. It will be just like regular Youtube, awful.

This service, like Youtube, will likely be something like this:

Requirng a full/unified Google account tied to every other service
Tracking and spying on everything
Ads everywhere
Poor UI/UX design choices that constantly change
"Trending" content that is not really trending
No DVR functionality
Geo-blocking content

I trimmed the cord since I'm in a Comcast exclusive area and getting internet only was more expensive than internet + basic/crappy TV. To add to that, I use Amazon Prime, Netflix and Playstation Vue. I used to use Sling but the UI / proprietary sling software was just horrible. The Vue UI is so much better, plus it has DVR functionality and is priced right for my area (cheaper since they don't offer local channels on their service). The only downside IIRC is you need some hardware to use it (PS4/PS3/FireTV) - can't just use a PC.

Right now the only reason I still have cable is for sports. There needs to be more sports oriented live broadcasts online, that are accessible. Currently they're either completely absent or geolocked to the hosting country.

Back