YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki Opposes EU Article 13 Copyright Legislation

I don't expect them to completely abandon the market either. But I do foresee a whole lot of blocked content if they can't work out something in a backroom deal with the eu.

It depends on how they choose to enforce article 13, as it is almost impossible to fully enforce. It would basically kill the internet as we now know it. If everyone was only allowed to post their own content. This basically means you cannot share a link on this forum even. So this is much bigger than youtube. [H] often uses german sites as news sources. That would be impossible if they enforce article 13, unless they pay ridiculous referral fees.

Is that really the case, though? Surely those bureaucrats are not that crazy. Man, I'll have to do some reading

Not sure what you read, but that's not the problem with Article 13. The problem is that the way it's worded makes the Platform, ie, youtube, vimeo, facebook, basically any website that has users posting to it, ... take on the legal responsibility of infringing material, not the user.
Basically, if I posted a clip of let's say some European Football TV broadcast to youtube or facebook, they can get sued since it is now on their platform.

The reason it will affect the small users, is that the platforms can't guarantee that the content being posted isn't infringing on any copyrights so in the end will hurt the smaller content creators.

But why would the politicians want that?

I doubt that the CEO of YouTube gives an unbiased opinion on the article.

Is that really the case, though? Surely those bureaucrats are not that crazy. Man, I'll have to do some reading

The issue here is the people who hold copyrighted content ("Old" media companies, recording studios, etc) have been pushing for this for a VERY long time. And they keep repeating "they'll just use automatic filters" to sway the politicians who don't know any better to vote for it in order to "protect" their copyrights.

The issue here is the people who hold copyrighted content ("Old" media companies, recording studios, etc) have been pushing for this for a VERY long time. And they keep repeating "they'll just use automatic filters" to sway the politicians who don't know any better to vote for it in order to "protect" their copyrights.

it's even worse than that.. have you seen the reports google puts out every so often with the total amount of DMCA take down requests on youtube? it's straight up aid's and more than half of those requests are either false positives or not even content those companies hold copyrights of. then you take something like article 13 and put that on top of what they already deal with.. i'd never want to be the people that have to review that crap nor could you ever pay them enough to do that job.

it's even worse than that.. have you seen the reports google puts out every so often with the total amount of DMCA take down requests on youtube? it's straight up aid's and more than half of those requests are either false positives or not even content those companies hold copyrights of. then you take something like article 13 and put that on top of what they already deal with.. i'd never want to be the people that have to review that crap nor could you ever pay them enough to do that job.

Which is why I believe a lot of sites are simply not going to service the EU; there's simply far too much liability/cost to even bother.

Back