YouTube Adding Support For HDR Videos On YouTube

HardOCP News

[H] News
YouTube has announced support for HDR videos. As of yesterday, you can start uploading your HDR videos to YouTube. The company also says that it has worked with content creators like MysteryGuitarMan and Abandon Visuals to bring you HDR videos like the one I've embedded below.

Starting today, you can watch YouTube videos in HDR on supported devices, such as HDR TVs with the new Chromecast Ultra, and soon on all 2016 Samsung SUHD and UHD TVs. If you're using a device that doesn't yet support HDR, don't worry, videos will still play in standard dynamic range. As more HDR devices become available, YouTube will work with partners to enable streaming of the HDR version.

Last edited:
Are there currently any computer monitors that support HDR?

Need to see two quality screens to look at the difference between HDR and "normal"

That is the tricky part. When you compare two screens you see different manufacturers or panels or color processing so you never get an apples to apples comparison and then just hdr added to see the difference.

What is funny is finding photo comparisons for hdr. how are we supposed to see a difference when viewed on a monitor that doesn't have it?

That is the tricky part. When you compare two screens you see different manufacturers or panels or color processing so you never get an apples to apples comparison and then just hdr added to see the difference.

What is funny is finding photo comparisons for hdr. how are we supposed to see a difference when viewed on a monitor that doesn't have it?

Turn the contrast and saturation up, real good?

Are there currently any computer monitors that support HDR?

doesnt really matter, because windows/browsers dont support HDR yet. watching the youtube videos on your desktop just doesnt work, even if you have an hdr monitor. the only way to actually get it working right now is to watch it through the Xbox S or PS4 youtube apps, or your tvs youtube app (and fuck samsung for not issuing an updated hdr enabled youtube app yet. if ever... theyve only mentioned support for 2016 models so far), or chromecast.

Video quality, much like sound quality, is impossible to discern without doing it in person.

I'd rather them fix all the issues with codecs and different browsers first. Shit even Chrome sucks with YouTube lol.

Iv been wondering, i have a nice IPS mointor ( Asus PG279Q - 165hz ) looks amazing to me over my old TN panels, But would HDR realy make that much of a difference compared to IPS displays that are suppose to have really good color accuracy ?

Iv been wondering, i have a nice IPS mointor ( Asus PG279Q - 165hz ) looks amazing to me over my old TN panels, But would HDR realy make that much of a difference compared to IPS displays that are suppose to have really good color accuracy ?
You would first have to ask yourself what "good color accuracy" has represented up to now. Few here have wanted to go down that rabbit hole.

I wonder how google is doing this. I thought their VP9 codec relied on REC709, the universal codec for broadcast that has been used for what, decades now. REC709 limits dynamic range to 6-7 stops and strips color space to 4:2:0, with an 8bit color cap. HDR support basically means more storage space on google's end. I wasn't thinking youtube would do this anytime soon. the max bit rate of youtube, hulu and amazon video is like 12mb/sec, which is a joke, so unless google unanimously decided that they are going to beef up storage space, they're probably offering quite crippled HDR support.

Back