You're waiting for Kepler and have to buy a new card, what would it be?

Samury

Limp Gawd
I don't know whether to stick with my ancient 4870 x2 or buy a cheap 5xx series GTX. A 3 GB GTX 580 or 2 seems really nice, but what if the new model blows that away? Especially with its PCx 3.0 system, possibly? There's a bit of a difference between waiting a few weeks and waiting a few months.

The 4870x2 still has some power to it. If you upgrade to something like a 6970 or a gtx 570/580 you will see better performance, but it wont blow you away. If you can hold on I think you should. It really comes down to how much money you want to spend for a certain level of performance increase, and as long as the games you are playing support xfire you will be at about 5850-ish level of performance. If you do wait for for the next generation of cards you should see enough of a performance increase to make a difference.

You have put up with the heat, noise, and xfire issues so far, hang in there! :p

Thanks, your info helps. But I guess my question comes down to: when are they gonna let us know more about the new cards?

At this point I'm a little worried the guys from Nvidia and ATI are sitting around buying better Scotch and cigars while laughing at us as we buy their processors. It's been a year or so after all since there was any real improvement. Not that I wouldn't want one of their jobs...

We should be hearing something from the AMD camp with regards to the HD7000 series this coming Monday. Nvidia has been tight lipped with regard to Kepler. I'm just hoping the green team doesn't take too long with Kepler's release as I want to use 3D vision again.

I'd wait for the new gcn architecture in the 7900 series to be released then grab a 6800 or 6900 series card by then the price will be under 200
if not lower

I'm kind of cheap sometimes so I'd rather go with the PCI-E 2.0 lower-end video cards that will have GTX 460 or slightly higher performance with less consumption. Right now I'm thinking of getting a faster CPU because I just found out my motherboard could take a faster CPU then all I'd need is a faster vid card. I can wait several months.

If my GTX 460 went belly up today I'd probably buy a GTX 560 Ti 448 to replace it. From what I've read its good enough I probably wouldn't care about Kepler or HD 7000 series cards for a while even after they're released.

I just paid attention to the size of a 580 vs a 570. That thing's the size of my forearm and probably twice the volume of the 570. I'm working on a HAFx case and I think a 580 would just fit, but I'd have to remove that vidcard thingy with the fan.

Damn, I hope the 680 isn't any longer.

I just paid attention to the size of a 580 vs a 570. That thing's the size of my forearm and probably twice the volume of the 570. I'm working on a HAFx case and I think a 580 would just fit, but I'd have to remove that vidcard thingy with the fan.

With the die shrink it had better not be!

With the die shrink it had better not be!

Nvidia is all about Brute Force method. They will be just as long. If they can pak 960 cores on a 28nm process as opposed to 480 on a 40nm process, they will and have done it on a regular basis. The chip size won't budge. Smaller the process it gets, the more Nvidia will pak into it. :)

Why wait for Kepler? It's going to be a long wait. AMD's new gpus are right around the corner.

Actually i have 2 GTX 460... I'am waiting for Kepler to buy the '680' or whatever the name will be, it will probably be faster than my SLI 460 and i'll keep one 460 for PHySx games (not that there's too many of them, but i'am still keeping it..)

Actually i have 2 GTX 460... I'am waiting for Kepler to buy the '680' or whatever the name will be, it will probably be faster than my SLI 460 and i'll keep one 460 for PHySx games (not that there's too many of them, but i'am still keeping it..)

Wait a minute, are you saying Nvidia's next generation GPUs won't be compatible with PHySx games? I thought new technology is usually downward compatible.

Wait a minute, are you saying Nvidia's next generation GPUs won't be compatible with PHySx games? I thought new technology is usually downward compatible.

They will support Physx, but he will use one of his 460s as a dedicated Physx card. You can run three in SLI, two as video cards and one as a Physx card. Or one as a video card, one as a Physx card.

We should be hearing something from the AMD camp with regards to the HD7000 series this coming Monday.

Turns out the 7000 series is just a rebadged laptop part. :eek:

I would probably pick up a 560ti until Kepler comes along.

I'm waiting for Kepler as well, but needed a new card now. A good compromise is the new 560 ti with 448 cores. I picked up the dual cooler "Classified" version from EVGA and overclocked it to near GTX 580 performance. For $300, very happy!

Kyle said Kepler will come earliest March 2012.

My son just bought a GTX 560Ti 448 classified from EVGA. Awesome.

theres a fs/ft thread with a 3GB 580 for 450 ish that's what i'd get as a stop gap

Hot deal on GTX470 and water cool and over clock it.

Is Kepler going to require those of us still running Nephilim-based intel processors to upgrade to get full use out of it? I'm running an OC'd i5-750 and I'd like to upgrade my GPU's and was going to wait for Kepler.

Thanks, your info helps. But I guess my question comes down to: when are they gonna let us know more about the new cards?

At this point I'm a little worried the guys from Nvidia and ATI are sitting around buying better Scotch and cigars while laughing at us as we buy their processors. It's been a year or so after all since there was any real improvement. Not that I wouldn't want one of their jobs...

not anytime soon for this very reason (of your thread) they don't want to kill existing sales. that is just dumb.

and I would not hold my breath for kepler. Nvidia may or may not be ready but the fabs don't seem to be able to give intel a small run for the money

Last edited:
Is Kepler going to require those of us still running Nephilim-based intel processors to upgrade to get full use out of it? I'm running an OC'd i5-750 and I'd like to upgrade my GPU's and was going to wait for Kepler.

IF they're PCX 3.0 you'll need a new board, but that's still a mystery at this point. So that's probably not the most useful advice.

Camp the open box deals at Newegg and find something to hold you over at an insanely cheap price, then return it with no restocking fee. Or re-sell it down the line for what you paid for it, as you're already paying well below market value.

if the rumors are true...........IF..........

AMD will release the lower grade mid-stream cards in Jan-Feb, most likely.
The "enthusiast" classes will be sometime after that.......and finally 7990 cards in March or April.........and of course you have to find one to buy.......first month of the 79xx cards will be short as usual.

nvidia is behind that...........I'd bet you don't see anything new until April.

Buy a 580 GTX 3 GB and have fun until the new ones come out........or maybe a jazzed up 6970 from MSI.

As much as I hated to spent $500 on card card that is a year old I just got a GTX 580 to replace a dying 4870x2. As far as I am concerned it was worth every dime and I wish I had done it a year ago. Having run mostly ATi for the last 13 years they will have a hard time getting me back after this. I'll never do another dual core card again after the driver issues I had with the 4870x2.

Waiting for Kepler, not interested in AMD cards - I went 3D Vision way, with glassess and 120hz display. On AMD I won't be able to play in 3D with them... besides my 570 SLIs can chew through everything I play on maxed settings, so I won't upgrade only for sake of upgrading.

Remember guys. The 560 ti 448 is a limited edition run.

I have a haf-x case and a asus gtx 580 and that fan on the side of the case by the gpu did get in the way, first I had to chop a little bit of the plastic housing of the fan off, to get the side of the case back on after fitting it, only a really small bit mind, then with
In there end I took the fan off and replaced it with some LEDs

I made a custom housing that completely covers the gtx 580 seperating it from the rest of the case then with custom cold air intake from outside my bedroom window
Now the card idles as low as 10c

I'm another Kepler waiter. My 570's good enough for now, but there are certainly a fair number of games that it can't keep up with, especially when you're shooting for 60fps and vsync on. I can't justify getting another current card, but if Kepler offers the typical 50-50% performance boost over the current gen, I'll be more than happy.
In terms of AMD, I'll miss out on the 3D function, and I truly do hate their driver control panel. I'd only swap back to red if Kepler just flat-out sucks.

I wouldnt wait :)

To me that is a fools game, you wait for something, you then pay a premium for latest gen tech and early models most likely to be buggy and then it will no longer be the latest within a year anyway.

I upgrade every 2 or 3 gens usually and get what is the most suitable for me at the moment I decide to upgrade.

Looking at the rest of your rig right now, I would want a good quality card in there ASAP but I would wait for what AMD next have to offer. Worst case is that the 580s and 570s drop in price. It's only a matter of days/weeks now.

I am in the exact same boat as you....I ordered a Radeon 6870 to use as a temp card for a few months util either Kepler or Southern Islands come out...sure I cant get a constant 60FPS i the most demanding games but it does hold its own getting at least 30-40 at ultra in demanding games, and since its only temporary until I dual-card the next generation in a month or so its all good!!

If ATI releases their high end from the start I will be going Radeon instead of GTX next year...NO POINT in waiting for months and months when I can have top of the line much sooner, im not about brand loyalty.

Back