Your Upgrade Path

What will your upgrade path be regarding Windows 7?

• Windows Xp to Win 7

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Windows Vista to Win 7

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Windows to Mac OSX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OSX to Win 7

• Windows to Linux

• Linux to Win 7

• Total voters

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
So, after installing SP2 yesterday and reading many interesting posts here and on other sites, I was wondering, What is your upgrade path going to be in regards to your OS?

Personally, after playing around with Win7 beta and RC, I have not been suitable wowed, and will be sticking with Vista untill I build my next system or buy a new laptop.

I've found at least a few important things to me that I can't do in 7, so I'm keeping XP for a long while it seems.

Up until now I've only been using XP (and no Vista), but I might dual boot XP and 7 from now on.

I've found at least a few important things to me that I can't do in 7, so I'm keeping XP for a long while it seems.

Up until now I've only been using XP (and no Vista), but I might dual boot XP and 7 from now on.

Out of curiosity, what are your running into in 7 that you can't do?

98->2000->XP->64-bit Vista->64-Bit 7 RC

I didn't care for the 7 beta (mostly because some of my stuff wasn't working), but the RC grows on you after awhile.

Out of curiosity, what are your running into in 7 that you can't do?
It's not playing nicely with my CRT monitor. I can't get it to run at anything higher than 75 hz and resolutions higher than 1600x1200 are not attainable. Although this could be due to the latest Nvidia drivers for 7, and not 7 per se, so we'll see.

There's also one old game called Re-Volt that I've tried and I can't get it to work on 7 at all. It works ok on XP in 98 compatibility mode, but it keeps giving DirectX errors ("Can't flip buffers") when I run in on 7 (no compatibility mode setting fixes it). Although this could also be an issue coming from the Nvidia drivers.

On the flipside, there is another old game that I can only play in 98 compat mode on XP, which limits the max resolution to 1280x1024. But in 7 this game works well without any compat mode, so I can actually play it at 1920x1200 or higher. :)

So my issues so far are mostly limited to old school gaming (~1999-2005 era) only, which isn't a concern for most people.

My current windows machine runs XP Pro, and with my next build I'll move to 7. The only reason why I passed Vista (with the exception of doing the Beta), was I didn't buy or build any computers once Vista had come out, and I didn't want to upgrade this computer to it, because there wasn't really a strong need to.

Back