• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Your thoughts on my SFF build.

tbo

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
75
So I decided to build something a bit smaller for my girlfriend to take to lans..and this is what I built. I have all of it but the video card (ordering that next week). What do you think? I am a bit worried about the mobo but i'm hopin for the best.

TT Lanbox Lite
Silverstone t60f 600w psu with short cables (i believe thats the model number)
Abit Fatality f190
Seagate 7200 250gb HD
OCZ Platinum 6400 2gb
E4400
TR Ultra 120
BFG 8800gts 320mb

..replaced all the stock fans in the case plus an additional 60mm with panaflo high performance fans..Uhh the mobo, cpu, heatsink and HD should be here on thursday so i'll try to boot with onboard videoo.

Eh?..
 
Hopefully you meant XP-120 and not Ultra 120 (only have about 100mm of clearance for heatsink, not sure an ultra would fit at all)...I have an XP-120 and scythe fan on top, and it fits under powersupply, but pretty close.

If you get any funky problems with the motherboard, send it back asap and get the asus or gigabyte board instead (bad experience like many others with the abit).

Otherwise looks like a good build, she should have fun kicking @ss and taking names at lan parties. :)
 
So I decided to build something a bit smaller for my girlfriend to take to lans..and this is what I built. I have all of it but the video card (ordering that next week). What do you think? I am a bit worried about the mobo but i'm hopin for the best.

TT Lanbox Lite
Silverstone t60f 600w psu with short cables (i believe thats the model number)
Abit Fatality f190
Seagate 7200 250gb HD
OCZ Platinum 6400 2gb
E4400
TR Ultra 120
BFG 8800gts 320mb

..replaced all the stock fans in the case plus an additional 60mm with panaflo high performance fans..Uhh the mobo, cpu, heatsink and HD should be here on thursday so i'll try to boot with onboard videoo.

Eh?..

1. That Abit board is garbage. Too many people complaining about it dying randomly. Not to mention it's just not as good a mobo as the new Gigabyte and Asus boards. I'd try and send it back if you can.

2. The Ultra-120 doesn't fit in a Lanbox Lite, or most SFF cases for that matter (I think only the Antec NSK-3400 fits an Ultra-120.) I'd recommend either a Zalman 7700, 8700, or a Silverstone NT06 + fan or NT06 + passive PSU cooling. Did you get a fan for that Ultra-120? If somehow you do manage to get it to fit, then you'll want to at least put a good 120mm fan on it.

3. I would have gone for the Corsair 520hx or some other modular PSU. For this setup, you don't need anywhere near 600w. 450 to 500 would be plenty. Plus they tend to be smaller, giving you more room to work with

How much did you pay for this setup? Everything else looks ok, except for the Abit board and the CPU cooler.
 
Yeah i was debating between the gigabyte g33 and the f190 suppose i'll probably send it back then..and will probably send back the fan too. The psu is modular..Not sure how much i've spent..kinda just been buying things as i see them as hot deals.
 
the power supply is a bit on the long side, though it is a pretty good PSU.

It might limit your optical drive selection a bit.

The Abit board is not that bad, some people are killing them by feeding the RAM too much voltage I think. I have two of them running, one an initial production run board. Keep the RAM V 2.0 or less and it should be fine. The board has nice onboard hardware and a pretty nice layout to work with.

If you can return it without taking a restocking fee get the gigabyte without a doubt.
 
If you're overclocking, consider getting a E6550 instead of the 4400.
 
If you're overclocking, consider getting a E6550 instead of the 4400.

Lol he better be overclocking if he's getting an Ultra-120....but yea, the E6550 is a better choice, although I'm not sure if the abit mobo supports 1333 FSB processors.
 
I wanted something that looked a bit nicer than stock thats why i picked the ultra 120. I'll be overclocking a teeny bit but nothing insane
 
I wanted something that looked a bit nicer than stock thats why i picked the ultra 120. I'll be overclocking a teeny bit but nothing insane

Honestly, save your money. You do not need a U120 for light overclocking. That, and C2D's are so easy to overclock that you'll be pushing your chip anyways.
Lol he better be overclocking if he's getting an Ultra-120....but yea, the E6550 is a better choice, although I'm not sure if the abit mobo supports 1333 FSB processors.

I recommend the E6550 with a Gigabyte DS2R. Not with the abit, not with the P5K-VM (well, maybe the P5K).
 
Back
Top