Your thoughts on Gigabyte

pcfreak

n00b
Just curious to see what people think of Gigabyte, I've never bought one of thier boards before.

In my experience, they are solid- at the expense of overclocking options. My old S370 (Pentium3) didn't give you any room to play with voltages, and my new P4 (i915P, brand new) gives you all voltages except the chipset. Still an amazing board, I got the 3.2 to run 3.8 without any problems; I am certain I could have broken 4GHz with northbridge adjustments, since the processor still posted well beyond this point. Basically, they give you as much flexibility as possible without endangering their product, to minimize RMAs.

The only downside is their choice of additional components, which can be disabled anyway. For example, the P4's built-in VIA VT6410 IDE-RAID controller conflicted with my Radeon X700Pro. I ended up disabling the VIA and using an old Promise (or was it Highpoint?) PCI card. Interestingly, the same VIA on my Asus (P4P800-Deluxe, P4-478) had no problems with a Radeon 9700Pro, and then a 9800Pro.

depends on the board.. As a whole, giga-byte makes a good board.. But they do screw up at times.. Case in point, their NF3 board has alot of memory issues, but they cleared them up for the NF4 board..

best to look on the forums about a particular board, to see if there are any glaring issues..

I have their mATX K8T800 board and so far after a couple months of running it, all seems well. Like the others say, it may not be an overclocker's dream, but it's a pretty solid board.

i have an older athlon xp board in my GF's comp, use to be in mine, never oced it, but it had been solid as a rock for years

Back