Your Take on Wireless stream

FuzzyPoncho

Limp Gawd
Ok, I've gotten some negative feedback on using HTPC with a wireless network for streaming content (videos, music, etc) What I plan on doing is getting a Draft-N router to increase the speed (mostly for HD content). Right now im using a Standard Linksys Cable Gateway, getting "good" (so approx 36mbps) connection.

As it stands it right now it takes forever for my HTPC to even sort through my video library (alot of lag, delaying reaction) When playing a file, it randomly stops the video and I have to restart.

Now I tested the computer on a wired network and works fine, so I know its not the unit itself
I need some feedback on wireless setups and if anyone has had issues with using Draft-N to stream to the HTPC, or maybeI should try to find a wired solution? This setup wouldnt be cheap so I would like to know what Im getting myself into..

Thanks

P.S.
My HTPC is listed below if anyone is intrested...

HTPC
----------
LC10 Silverstone ATX
Core 2 Duo E6600 FSB 1400
nForce 590 SLI
1x 250 Western Digital
2 gig Gskill 800Mhz (dual channel)
Evga 8600GT HTPC
500W Rocketfish PSU

Music and pictures are fine on a good wireless connection. However, video, especailly a decent resolutions will not play flawlessly. It might on an excellent connection. I have a better option for you. Use a PoE adapter and send the network over your power lines. I have used this to get network to a dead spot in my house and it gets almost the same speed as being wired directly to the router. You will have to buy two if them. The Netgear units I bought are great and cost about $60 a piece.

That will solve your speed issues.

I have never had good luck with wireless devices. I had 3 N routers (2 netgears, 1 linksys) that gave good speeds and range but they had bad stability so I returned them all. Nothing like streaming something and your wireless gets dropped. So far the only router I have had that has been rock solid and has never dropped a wireless connection is a wrt54g running dd-wrt. I would try a wired solution before using wireless for streaming.

I myself begrudgingly went to a wired setup and had to run cable around the floor boards. WIsh wireless was up to snuff but it wasn't cutting it in my case. Haven't had a chance to play with the new N stuff so maybe things are better so I would be interested in this as well.

Ive had 2 pre-n routers, a belkin and a linksys, both with 3 aerials and both couldnt stream HD without issues. Even streaming DVD's they werent up to par all the time. I would forget about it and go with a wired solution or PoE as already mentioned.

Back