Your suggestions for BSD/Linux router distro

TC10284

Limp Gawd
I just want you guys' input on what BSD/Linux router distro you prefer the most.
I know/use a few already, but I don't want to name them and bias any posters. :D

Thanks!

Most will chirp out pfsense, and I am no different.

Any perimeter router I have is pfsense, easy to use and is very stable.

I'll put in my vote for pfsense as well. Haven't used it since I got my cisco router, but when I did it was really stable and worked well on older hardware

pfSense. It is amazing and the book describes in depth most things you can do with it. I recommend you get the book if you go that route. It does have a few vpn limitations. If they bug you, you could always go the m0n0wall route.

pfSense. It is amazing and the book describes in depth most things you can do with it. I recommend you get the book if you go that route. It does have a few vpn limitations. If they bug you, you could always go the m0n0wall route.

pfSense is nice. I like it.
However, when I used it as my primary router here at home a few weeks ago, I quickly found that I couldn't connect to a PPTP VPN and I did NOT have the built-in PPTP VPN server enabled. It would never get past :"Verifying username and password." and I know they were right as they hadn't changed since I used a different router a few weeks prior. Plus I set the usernames/passwords on the remote VPN server. This was not acceptable as I HAD to connect to a VPN to support/test things for my clients.
This is my only issue with pfSense. I hope they fix it in the 2.0 final.

So I switched back to IPCop. I like IPCop because it has AdvProxy (yes I know pfSense has a Squid proxy option), and especially Update Accelerator. I have a client that is using IPCop and they want a cheap road-warrior VPN option (until they can afford a server), I'm having trouble finding the Zerina package to use with OpenVPN. The page results in a database connection error: http://zerina.de/zerina/
This is my only issue with IPCop, aside from it not being updated in forever, aside from the 1.9 beta which I can't use because AdvProxy and Update accelerator don't have versions for it yet.

I know there are lots more router distros out there. Has anyone tried them? I haven't really tried m0n0wall yet.

pfSense is nice. I like it.
However, when I used it as my primary router here at home a few weeks ago, I quickly found that I couldn't connect to a PPTP VPN and I did NOT have the built-in PPTP VPN server enabled. It would never get past :"Verifying username and password." and I know they were right as they hadn't changed since I used a different router a few weeks prior. Plus I set the usernames/passwords on the remote VPN server. This was not acceptable as I HAD to connect to a VPN to support/test things for my clients.
This is my only issue with pfSense. I hope they fix it in the 2.0 final..

I don't know what was wrong with your setup....either a firewall rule, or a wonky MTU setting.
PFSense had a limitation where it would only allow 1x PPTP VPN connection to pass through it at a time. It's always worked great for me, even with prior versions..when I've done my outbound PPTP VPN connections to clients networks. This issue has been addressed in the upcoming..soon to be released (but the BETA has been out) version.

I don't think anything is wrong with his setup. I can connect to a bunch of different pptp servers through my pfsense install. Yet, I can not connect to a pfsense pptp server with the exact issue he is having.

The dev's said they'd LIKE to address the pptp limitation in 2.0, but I haven't actually seen anything saying that it was fixed.

I don't know what was wrong with your setup....either a firewall rule, or a wonky MTU setting.
PFSense had a limitation where it would only allow 1x PPTP VPN connection to pass through it at a time. It's always worked great for me, even with prior versions..when I've done my outbound PPTP VPN connections to clients networks. This issue has been addressed in the upcoming..soon to be released (but the BETA has been out) version.

Yes I read about that issue.
I even tried the 2.0 beta and still ran into the issue I mentioned. I was connecting to a Mac Server hosting a PPTP VPN, but it previously worked using IPCop. Heck I even switched back to IPCop, attempted to connect to the PPTP VPN and it connected perfectly with no changes to the client or server.

Yes I read about that issue.
I even tried the 2.0 beta and still ran into the issue I mentioned. I was connecting to a Mac Server hosting a PPTP VPN, but it previously worked using IPCop. Heck I even switched back to IPCop, attempted to connect to the PPTP VPN and it connected perfectly with no changes to the client or server.

What device was in front of the PFSense box (WAN side)
Did you fiddle with firewall rules? Try doing a default install?
I'm puzzled...I've run..oh..probably 8-9 different installs across various hardware at home for the past..quite a few years, never had an issue with outbound PPTP.

What device was in front of the PFSense box (WAN side)
Did you fiddle with firewall rules? Try doing a default install?
I'm puzzled...I've run..oh..probably 8-9 different installs across various hardware at home for the past..quite a few years, never had an issue with outbound PPTP.

A Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem (no NAT, handing me my public IP address from my ISP)
I did not mess with the firewall rules too much to try to figure out why PPTP wasn't connecting. I did have firewall/NAT rules to point to my internal PPTP VPN server, but I deleted them, applied, retried the VPN connection to the outside Mac server and it still failed. I thought they might have broken it, but apparently not. Currently in IPCop I have port forwards to my internal PPTP VPN server and I have no issues connecting to outside PPTP VPN servers.

I did not try a default pfSense install.

Back