• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Your PSU can make a difference to your overclock!

  • Thread starter trinketsummoner
  • Start date
T

trinketsummoner

Guest
I thought you all might be interested in my findings from switching power supplies and how it relates to getting an overclock on your graphics card (and maybe your CPU too)

I just upgraded from an Antec Truepower 430 to a PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe. Now, theres no comparison between the 2, but the Antec is not known for being a crap PSU ;)

Nothing else in my system changed, both PSUs had a dedicated connector to the GT. Heres the difference :

Before : 425 GPU, 1070 memory was the max on my GT - i couldnt pass the test beyond that

After : 445 GPU, 1190 memory!

This is with an otherwise stock PNY 6800GT. I guess my Antec just couldnt provide enough stable volts to OC where the PCP&C can. So dont discount the fact you might not have a great PSU if you cant get a good or stable OC from your GT :)
 
Yeah I have an x800 pro vivo with the pipelines unlocked running on a shuttle xpc with a 230 watt power supply. It runs at 504\1089. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it would run faster with a better psu. But wasn't this overly obvious to you? More speed = faster cycles = more electrons needed = more power required
 
dopexile said:
Yeah I have an x800 pro vivo with the pipelines unlocked running on a shuttle xpc with a 230 watt power supply. It runs at 504\1089. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it would run faster with a better psu. But wasn't this overly obvious to you? More speed = faster cycles = more electrons needed = more power required

In theory, a 430w antec should be enough but i guess it wasnt :)
 
hmmm I have the Antec 430 and I'm installng my 6800GT tonight! I thought my PSU was pretty powerful but I guess not :(

Yesterday I noticed that my PSU fan is running at 5000 and is in red color, is it really too slow? Should I change it? it's a little off-topic though...
 
Antecs are very stringent to the standards. I've got one that is at 4.999 and 12.037 for 5 and 12 volts respectively, no matter what reasonable load put on it.

There are other powersupplies that give higher voltages, which would be better if you overclock. I had an old 250watt powersupply that you could just turn the trimpot on to get higher voltages (and better overclocks)
 
I recently got my 480 watt Thermaltake power supply and I can run everything at much higher clocks very stable. I use to have my stuff running at stock but putting in that new PSU and a NV Silencer 5 worked well.
 
i have a 450 watt starlogic and my GT will get to 460 core clock before the test fails, im waiting to sell my 5600 and buy a waterblock before i try that tho lol
 
460! good god my man! Maybe i need a better ps, because my card doesnt get above 75 degrees in games.
 
Xxplosiv said:
i have a 450 watt starlogic and my GT will get to 460 core clock before the test fails, im waiting to sell my 5600 and buy a waterblock before i try that tho lol
He said it got to 460 doesnt mean its stable.
 
im not even gonna try to start up a game with those clocks, prolly melt a whole in the earth :p
 
Yeah, that's why when I decided to get a 6800U I first went out and got a PC Power and Cooling 510w PS. :D
 
Antecs are very stringent to the standards. I've got one that is at 4.999 and 12.037 for 5 and 12 volts respectively, no matter what reasonable load put on it.

Just because you can hook a meter up to them and they're close to the correct value doesn't mean they're really good. The differences aren't always just maintaining those voltages. If the voltages are dropping at all that's a bad sign. It's really the noise in the line that can cause problems and that can be really hard to measure without using a scope or something like that. It's not necessarily the consistent .05 V change in voltage, it's the extremely brief .5V change that could cause the problem.

Plus the PC P&C supplies are capable of kicking out a whole lot more juice than the antec supplies in most cases.
 
this is true, my friend had a 400W deer psu and could barely o/c his mobile 2400+ on an NF7, i put in a thermaltake purepower 410W and now he is 100% stable at 2.2ghz @ 400fsb, but he could easily go higher if he wanted.
 
True, a quality psu is really going to help. Moving from my old Thermaltake 300 watt psu to an Enermax 420 watt psu has helped with stability and upped OC potential
 
I have an antec 430 true power and originally I thought it would pose a problem with a BFG 6800 ultra OC. But no problems at all.

I can overclock to 460/1220. Maybe on a GT a more powerful PS makes a difference with only 1 connector?
 
Back
Top