Your OS Philosophy a.k.a. "Maintaining Clean Install"

You can't keep a Windows system fresh and clean for long. If you are like me, you try out programs, install/uninstall games via Steam, run some VMs, etc, the registry will get clogged up at some point. ;)

My rule of thumb is doing a fresh Windows install on my work machine every 6 months, and on my gaming machine anywhere from 6 to 9 months. All the registry and PC cleaning apps in the world can't solve the problem of "the clog ups". Just a fact IMO.

You can't keep a Windows system fresh and clean for long.
For Windows XP, you'd be correct. For Windows 7, you don't need to do installs that often. Besides, if you are really installing and removing that much software, I have two letters for you: VM.

OSX... I install by dragging and uninstall by dragging. No registry etc..
Well, for the most part anyway. Applications that require administrator-level access can't be dropped into the Applications folder. They do get 'installed' and there can be system-level plist changes with those apps. Even apps that are bundled sometimes create plists outside of their bundles, so an uninstaller (like TrashMe) is not a terrible idea even though outside lingering plists are absolutely harmless.

On Windows, just use portable applications. It's more work and less elegant, but still pretty good. I generally avoid application installers whenever possible, and the great thing about applications designed to work portably is that you can reinstall and OS without missing a beat. In foobar, for instance, all of my finely-tweaked preferences are preserved between Windows reinstalls.

"The Kool-Aid... it's gotta be the Kool-Aid..."[/i]
What does that have to do with his own personal preferences? Last I checked, Apple doesn't go around telling people what to do with their Windows installations.

The application bundle is an elegant solution for applications that don't require administrator privileges, and Windows really has no analogue. The registry isn't a bad approach, but it's certainly been a source of frustration for Windows users, myself included, for so many years that it would seem logical for Microsoft to start working towards its eventual removal. Even the most staunch Windows fan would admit that OS X-like application bundles would be a welcome feature in Windows, wouldn't you agree?

Besides, if you are really installing and removing that much software, I have two letters for you: VM.
Which in itself will demand the installation of some sort of virtualization driver, background processes and who-knows-how-many registry entries, not to mention the hard drive space that would need to be alloted to the VM (not an unsubstantial amount for a Windows 7 install) and the time spent setting up the VM. A pretty laborious proposition simply to avoid registry issues.

Even the most staunch Windows fan would admit that OS X-like application bundles would be a welcome feature in Windows, wouldn't you agree?
Depends on the application. As for removing the registry, not yet, certainly.

Last edited:
Which in itself will demand the installation of some sort of virtualization driver, background processes and who-knows-how-many registry entries, not to mention the hard drive space that would need to be alloted to the VM (not an unsubstantial amount for a Windows 7 install) and the time spent setting up the VM. A pretty laborious proposition simply to avoid registry issues.
Not really, in all honesty. On a system that supports XP Mode (VT requirement has been waived recently), that is all done for you. I'd already had Windows 7 running in a VirtualBox VM with a 20 GB virtual hard drive...just a drop in the bucket for today's drives. The time it takes to set up is not much more than a normal clean install. However, those VMs can be backed up for nearly instant recover from a problem of an issue. Given that it only needs to be installed once, it is well worth the time it can save from troubleshooting issues on the host system. I'm not sure about your concerns with extra services and registry settings, as neither of them have any effect on the host system. It may seem laborius up front, but the install is quicker than you'd think (coming from a .iso file), and it saves time in the long run.

My rule of thumb is doing a fresh Windows install on my work machine every 6 months, and on my gaming machine anywhere from 6 to 9 months. All the registry and PC cleaning apps in the world can't solve the problem of "the clog ups". Just a fact IMO.

The situation improved a lot with Vista/7 though. I can still "feel" the system slow down a bit after a year or so of use, but not like the XP days where doing a clean install made it seem like you had a whole new PC.

Depends on the application.
It would work well for the majority of applications. There would need to be some fundamental changes to the way the Start menu displays applications to make self-contained bundles workable (Windows Search's indexer would need to be designed to quickly spot bundles and define them as applications), but nothing too terribly major, I don't think. Other applications could be installed in more conventional (read: traditional) ways.

Not really, in all honesty. On a system that supports XP Mode (VT requirement has been waived recently), that is all done for you.
Assuming you're running Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise, yes. The majority of Windows 7 users are not eligible to use XP Mode.

Assuming you're running Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise, yes. The majority of Windows 7 users are not eligible to use XP Mode.
The majority of home users, right. But those are the least likely to care about these things, and are the least likely to even know what the word virtualization means. Those who do care about their systems, or have reasons to be instaling and removing tons of software, would likely be running an eligible version, or would be using something like Sandboxie.

Half the time i cant be bothered going to add remove programs so i just delete the folder where i installed the program.

For Windows XP, you'd be correct. For Windows 7, you don't need to do installs that often. Besides, if you are really installing and removing that much software, I have two letters for you: VM.

I disagree. This XP system has been going since '08, and it still only has 15 processes on startup TOTAL. It would have been going since '06 but I've upgraded since then and did actually format once since a bad install of an old program messed up a bunch of key files.

The key to a fresh system is either OCD cleanliness, or the "not care format in a year" route. I choose the cleanlines route using MS tools like Autoruns and Process Monitor to make sure it's running as I want it. The only thing that's needed to be done to keep it essentially at fresh install speed is defrag and resetting the icon cache occasionally. I'm also not careless when I install or update things. If I install program BBB and it throws some .exe into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, I'm going to find out what it is and why it's needed, likewise with drivers, shell extensions, and other things. I don't even use ATI's control panel since it's junk, ATI Tray Tools is the way to go, it offers the same functionality, without the bloat.

It's pretty easy to keep a fresh install system. On the other hand if you're the type to just install Skype, AIM, Photoshop, Office, every single Windows update, 20 different browser addons, 80 megs worth of video drivers in its full bloatware glory, printer drivers, wireless router software, a host of other junk without even as much as a second thought of whats going where, and then wonder why it's running slow because you have 78 processes with various names like xedf7update.exe, hp71monitor.exe, that start on boot, then you honestly deserve it. The core components of software is all that matters, the other shit is usually useless (but not always).

Last edited:
I disagree.
This topic is always heavily debated. I've had XP systems run for a few years without issue or degredation. The general consensus is, that XP takes some tuning and regular maintenance to keep that "new" feeling, where as Windows 7 and Vista do most of it automatically. I have no intentions of turning this into a debate about how XP can or can't stay running efficiently, as those usually can get ugly.

Do you know what snake oil is? There are several registry cleaners that are absolutely, 100% free, CCleaner being the most popular. Snake oils were never given out for free — it would totally defeat the purpose of the scam..

Snake Oil, for the context I used it in, yes..it's quite commonly used to refer to something "bogus".

I'm more than aware of the free ones out there...quick, I can rample off more than you within 10 seconds..and within another 10 list a bunch of pay for ones. How many have you actually seen or tried or had worthwhile experience with?

Better yet...don't say you've have experience with them just because you downloaded one or two, ran it...believe the crap it told you, and the computer rebooted without major issues. Because that's actually not a good litmus test.

CCleaner actually isn't much of a registry cleaner...it barely scratches the surface. Seriously, it only looks for a couple of minor things in a few very basic areas, it doens't go very deep. Which is actually good considering most people that would use ccleaner for registry cleaning are the average joe home computer users. Good registry cleaners (the best freebie being Eusing), or pay...JV16...those dig quite deep and do a thorough scan.

But..when I say "good registry cleaners"..I mean they actually do something to the registry, but I still feel they're a waste of time. The registry is actually quite small, and dead links are just that...dead links. They do no harm, and unless you're running a 1MHz processor with 8 megs of RAM...trying to shrink the registry or thinking that you're reducing clutter it in is in all reality..quite useless as far as any measurable performance gain. Seriously, it is. I've never seen any appreciable and/or measureable performance gain via verified benchmarks. Most experience people with Windows in higher end tech forums will say the same thing. Any errors in the registry from corruption or some tanked program uninstall will be more properly cleaned out by a program removal utility like Revo, or by a marginally computer experienced person and regedit.

One of my gaming systems at home is on a long existing install of XP, it's well over 5 years...it still runs like a champ..and absolute rock solid fast machine. Considering it's first generation Core 2 Duo processor and video...what's impressive is going to LAN parties or when doing online gaming..it's faster than many others in bootup, or when a level in an online game starts. She runs overclocked 24x7 Folding, and is always rock stable....if it blue screened or locked up or CTD'd during a game say...once a year, I'd freak out..but it doesn't. I'm anal as can be regarding how my PCs run. My rigs have always been that way. Yup..Windows XP also..the OS that everyone else here seems to have a hard time keeping stable. //shrugs.

Yeah back in the Win95 days formatting and reinstalling every 3-6 months was fun...for a couple of times. But I dunno, I find other things in life more important than turning a pale mushroom color hunkered over in front of my rig constantly rebuilding it.

People always say "well after a rebuild it runs fast"...yeah, right off it sure does. Most of that is the hard drive is a nice clean slate...and your Windows install is quite behind with Windows updates and utilities and antivirus and printers and peripherals all that other stuff. Once you're done rebuilding it with all your stuff installed and configured...you'll find it close to where it was.

I feel the same way about registry cleaners, not much use.

YeOlde mentioned his 5 year old XP installation.

I also had an XP installation on my main rig that was 5+ years old(just about 6 years old I think), it saw new motherboards, video cards, drives, etc...it ran just as fast as it did the first day I installed it. I blew it away to install Windows 7 several months back. As good as Windows 7 is, it was a hard decision at the time. It felt like an old friend.

Also have a laptop that came with MCE on it that is about 4 years old, runs great.

I had a client's 2005 Dell Inspiron Laptop boot into XP SP3 (all up to date) in 17 seconds from the press of the power button.

Booted with Avast! Antivirus, their Wireless toolkit, and Zone Alarm firewall.

XP, when properly maintained, will work just as well as when you installed it. The main reason people have issues with their Windows OS is when they start installing software. The best are the toolbars, coupon printing software, and all the garbage these scam sites want you to run. None of them uninstall correctly - several don't even package uninstallers.

CCleaner is good for what its intended for - a quick program to empty your cookies, cache, and garbage files. Its registry cleaner is very basic - it will catch some uninstalled programs that didn't clear their registry files, but thats as far as it goes.

Back