Your opinions on the Lenovo X1 Carbon?

FM 3370

Gawd
So I destroyed my Lenovo X120e today trying to fiddle with the keyboard since some keys were flaky (ripped the contacts off the board. :( ) so I'm in the market for something different. I love the Thinkpad line and for the longest time I've wanted to get the X1 Carbon. I don't know of any stores I can go out and look at it on display but the video reviews I've seen on this laptop look really good. Before I make the plunge in the next month or so, is this a good system? I also wonder if it can take the Samsung 830 SSD I have in my x120e.

I've seen some people complain about the display but 1600x900 seems good enough for me. I like small notebooks so as far as I can see this would be the perfect laptop for me.

As for price, it's kinda hard for me to drop almost $1200 on a notebook since I paid $240 for the x120e off Craigslist so maybe if I can be convinced that this would be a long term investment since I tend to keep my electronics until they break, then I can feel better about this purchase. Also if anyone has one I'd really love to read your opinion.

With ultrabooks, especially more powerful ultrabooks, you are really paying a massive premium for thin. Make sure that's a quality that really matters to you before dropping cash on one.

With the X1 Carbon I'd have two major reservations that aren't very well addressed from most reviews I've seen. The first is the display, which is a sub 1080p TN panel. The IPS option now found in other Thinkpads isn't available for the X1. The other is battery life. It's obviously a good deal less than the X220 and similar ultraportables, and I'm not sure how much that would matter in practice.

Yeah, I know there's the ridiculous premium for thin and I seem to be a big sucker for it. Is there a big difference in IPS and TN panels and as for not being 1080p, I don't feel it to be that important. At least is a jump from the 1366 x 768 I was used to.

The other option is the x230 but for almost similar size I wish it came with the 1600x900 instead of the 1366x768. For me it's either the X1 or X230 but the X1 is almost took perfect looking to pass up. As for the battery life both boast the 8 hours of battery which is a plus. It would be nice if I could see one at the store before I make a purchase.

Edit: The more I research the X1 Carbon the less I seem to like it. Non upgradeable hard drive, non upgradeable RAM kinda kills it for me. I have a perfectly good Samsung 830 256gb here that cannot be used on the X1 and to upgrade from 128 to 256GB SSD on Lenovo.com is ridiculous at $280. Really disappointed in what I'm seeing so far. Maybe I'll just go for an X230 or just pick up a replacement X120e which I was planning to keep for years.

Last edited:
We have one x1 at work that we bought to demo. It's pretty solid. Not to say your reservations aren't valid, because I haven't looked at it with the scrutiny of someone who paid for it.

We have one x1 at work that we bought to demo. It's pretty solid. Not to say your reservations aren't valid, because I haven't looked at it with the scrutiny of someone who paid for it.

If someone were giving me any laptop for free I'd take a maxed out X1 Carbon hands down but after pricing and re-pricing my options I cannot fathom paying $1700 for a laptop.

I could wait for an X1C deal, opt for the X230, get another X120e or repair my current X120e.

Thanks sonofwang and Onnes for your replies.

Its alright but I think that windows 8 plus touch brings alot of much cooler things to the table and some of those are from lenovo, yoga and twist.

The sub-par LCD wrecks it for me. It's a shame because Lenovo got everything else practically perfect.

Lenovo almost got this perfect. My wishes for the next iteration are a "retina" like display or at least 1080p resolution, user serviceable RAM and HDD/SSD access and.....cheaper. :)

The X1 is a very nice laptop, but you also should look into buying the new keyboard parts for your x120e. For actual work, I don't have a problem with 1366x768 on a smallish display, so I'm thinking the 1600x900 would be pretty good. I use 1920x1080 and 2 monitors for desktop work in comparison Still, I'd look at the CES demos so far to see what other manufacturers are coming out with. Also, Dell is refreshing at least one of their laptops to 1080p, so other manufacturers may be as well which would give you other alternatives.

Surface Pro?

At this point in my life, can't stand to use Windows 8.

The X1 is a very nice laptop, but you also should look into buying the new keyboard parts for your x120e. For actual work, I don't have a problem with 1366x768 on a smallish display, so I'm thinking the 1600x900 would be pretty good. I use 1920x1080 and 2 monitors for desktop work in comparison Still, I'd look at the CES demos so far to see what other manufacturers are coming out with. Also, Dell is refreshing at least one of their laptops to 1080p, so other manufacturers may be as well which would give you other alternatives.

I'll look into getting a keyboard as well for my X120e, it's the perfect laptop for me right now. It's too bad Lenovo has had issues with the X120e keyboard. I'm curious to see what else is coming down the Thinkpad line because I really like their design.

The X1 Carbon was something that I considered, and I went with an x230 instead. I had particular reasons, the footprint was smaller, and I didn't need something thin and light. The x230 has a full mobile processor vs. a ULV model. While the 1366 x 768 screen res isn't ideal, I'm glad I didn't go with something 1080p on an a 12 inch screen like the Vaio Duo 11. When I went with a 1920 x 1200 screen on my t61p ages ago I had to 125% scale my display in win 7 anyways.

Easy access to the HDD bay and memory slots were also another dealbreaker for me.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X1CT-i7-8GB-WHEN/td-p/980409

Above is a thread talking of delays with trying to get 8GB ram and an i7 configuration.

Have you seen the Yoga 13?

I have always thought the X1 was pretty sweet looking, the Yoga 13 is a great tablet/laptop and as such has a sweet IPS display.

I had the x120e and sold it and got a x220 (which I had a ton of problems with) it is stable now, but it pissed me off for so long I am still mad at it.

a x120e with a better screen would be incredible.

I can't believe Lenovo is shipping this with a non-IPS display when almost everyone else (Acer, Asus), even Lenovo, use IPS in most of their other models. This is not cheap, its their premium Ultrabook.

The X1 Carbon was something that I considered, and I went with an x230 instead. I had particular reasons, the footprint was smaller, and I didn't need something thin and light. The x230 has a full mobile processor vs. a ULV model. While the 1366 x 768 screen res isn't ideal, I'm glad I didn't go with something 1080p on an a 12 inch screen like the Vaio Duo 11. When I went with a 1920 x 1200 screen on my t61p ages ago I had to 125% scale my display in win 7 anyways.

Easy access to the HDD bay and memory slots were also another dealbreaker for me.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X1CT-i7-8GB-WHEN/td-p/980409

Above is a thread talking of delays with trying to get 8GB ram and an i7 configuration.

I thought all Thinkpads would allow the user to service basic parts but they seemed to seal everything up in the X1. Too bad people are having trouble with 8GB versions of this. Since I like to keep my hardware for a while it would be importation to future proof the system especially since it cannot be upgraded.

Have you seen the Yoga 13?

I have always thought the X1 was pretty sweet looking, the Yoga 13 is a great tablet/laptop and as such has a sweet IPS display.

I had the x120e and sold it and got a x220 (which I had a ton of problems with) it is stable now, but it pissed me off for so long I am still mad at it.

a x120e with a better screen would be incredible.

I haven't been big on tablets but I'll probably consider it. In the mean time I'm pretty focused on getting my X120e keyboard back into working order which means ordering a motherboard. I've never replaced a laptop motherboard so hopefully it's not too tricky. As for a new laptop the X230 seems like the best Thinkpad "ultra" between the X1 and X120e. The X131e looks like a kids toy to me.

I can't believe Lenovo is shipping this with a non-IPS display when almost everyone else (Acer, Asus), even Lenovo, use IPS in most of their other models. This is not cheap, its their premium Ultrabook.

Yeah, when I first heard about the X1 not knowing all the details it went on my dream list. I can't wait to see what the next iteration of the "X1" will be like. I hope they can address these as well as lower the price.

...Yeah, when I first heard about the X1 not knowing all the details it went on my dream list. I can't wait to see what the next iteration of the "X1" will be like. I hope they can address these as well as lower the price.

Have you heard about the Thinkpad Helix? It'll be a couple hundred more than the X1 and it has a 1080p screen and IPS. Plus it DOES mitigate those negative feelings I have about the Yoga having the keyboard facing the table (only as long as the docking system is durable.) That being said it'll still lack upgrade-ability and have ULV processor, while they feel ok with SSDs, I think I've been spoiled by overclocking on desktops all these years. Most ULVs I've encountered, including i7 models just don't feel as snappy as I want. I don't want to get into a frugality war on whether I need "xyz" power, but I'd rather the speed be there when I need it than not. Personally desk space and footprint are more important to me for an ultraportable, so again that's why I went with an x230.

The non IPS screens that Lenovo uses are really not that great. If you do go with the X1 make sure you see one in person and browse a few relatively colorful websites and watch a video or two on it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Have you heard about the Thinkpad Helix? It'll be a couple hundred more than the X1 and it has a 1080p screen and IPS. Plus it DOES mitigate those negative feelings I have about the Yoga having the keyboard facing the table (only as long as the docking system is durable.) That being said it'll still lack upgrade-ability and have ULV processor, while they feel ok with SSDs, I think I've been spoiled by overclocking on desktops all these years. Most ULVs I've encountered, including i7 models just don't feel as snappy as I want. I don't want to get into a frugality war on whether I need "xyz" power, but I'd rather the speed be there when I need it than not. Personally desk space and footprint are more important to me for an ultraportable, so again that's why I went with an x230.

The non IPS screens that Lenovo use are really not that great. If you do go X1 make sure you see one in person and browse a few relatively color websites and watch a video or two on it.

The Helix looks interesting but I can't stand glossy screens. I'm not sure which retail outlets sell the X1 Carbon or X230. I bought the X120e on a whim trying to replace an HP Mini 110 and fell in love with the X120e. The X230 looks like a perfect replacement for the X120e in the future.

The t430u looks decent as a budget ultrabook. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/t-series/t430u/

With a starting price of 699 some of the specs are forgivable.

Edit: just watched a video, easily accessible and upgradeable ram and HD. Worst part is resolution.

The screen on that thing is a lot worse than the X1C and pretty much at the bottom of the barrel as far as portable systems go. It's a 14" screen with the same resolution as the X230 and no IPS option. Maybe the price and form factor make it worth it, but I think it'd drive me mad coming from the better displays that are typical these days.

I have a X1 Carbon and love it. The keyboard is fantastic, not just the best Ive used on an ultraportable, but one of the best Ive used on any laptop.

To the TC, I saw you mention that you have an SSD that you would like to put in whatever laptop you buy. Keep in mind I am pretty sure in the x230 you can only use 7mm SSD's. I know the x220's are that way for sure.

To the TC, I saw you mention that you have an SSD that you would like to put in whatever laptop you buy. Keep in mind I am pretty sure in the x230 you can only use 7mm SSD's. I know the x220's are that way for sure.

This is actually only half true. Yes, the X220 is designed for 7mm drives and ships with such. You put the included rubber guards on both sides and just slide the drive into the slot. However, if you neglect the guards you can typically fit a regular drive with a proportionate increase in force. It's even possible to remove the drive afterwards, which is rather critical. I installed a Crucial M4 256GB in my X220 in this manner.

If worse comes to worse you can also remove the case around the SSD board which would allow just about anything to fit easily. Just have to be sure to cover up any exposed surface that could touch the laptop chassis.

I have a X1 Carbon and love it. The keyboard is fantastic, not just the best Ive used on an ultraportable, but one of the best Ive used on any laptop.

That's good to know. Love the "chicklet" style keyboards on the Thinkpads.

I have a 256GB 830 which makes the X120e a pleasure to use, I think it's a 7mm drive.

The t430u looks decent as a budget ultrabook. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/t-series/t430u/

With a starting price of 699 some of the specs are forgivable.

Edit: just watched a video, easily accessible and upgradeable ram and HD. Worst part is resolution.

The T430s has resolution up to 1600x900. Not sure how this is much different than the "u" with respect to other specifications.

Last edited:
I've had the X230 and T430s and both are fantastic machines. Keep in mind that that for the X230, the IPS screen upgrade ($50 or so) is very highly recommended. The IPS screen quality (better color contrast and viewing angles) are quite a differences.

While the T430s can get the upgraded 1600x900 res screen, its still a TN. The screen quality (poor contrast and viewing angles) are probably the main con of the T430s.

For me, the non-upgradability of the X1 Carbon kinda killed it for me too. If you like the X120e I think you'll like the X230, especially with the IPS screen. Try to google "Barnes and Noble Gold" and you can sign up via their program and get a discount buying straight from Lenovo. You can probably get a decently specced X230 for <$1000. Good luck.

Just to add, the Yoga is an IdeaPad while the X1 Carbon is a ThinkPad.

The Yoga's build quality and keyboard are both very good, but the X1 Carbon has even better build quality and the beloved ThinkPad keyboard, which is not found on the Yoga.

...Try to google "Barnes and Noble Gold" and you can sign up via their program and get a discount buying straight from Lenovo. You can probably get a decently specced X230 for <$1000. Good luck.

I posted the B&N portal link here in this thread a while back. Just sign up for a regular lenovo account, then click this link with the same logins as your standard lenovo account. Then you get better discounts than from the regular site.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1735269

:D

It seems like the best in between option for the X120e and X1C is the X230 with IPS screen. If Lenovo wants to truly make the almost perfect machine they'd have the X1C & T430 with IPS or even OLED screen at 1600x900, not sure if higher resolution is actually better on a 14" screen. I think I'll hold off for that. In the mean time I'll work with what I've got with the X120e(try to fix it still) and maybe get a good X230 on the website Flexion posted which seems to have damn good deals on their Thinkpads.

The X230 doesn't seem to be much heavier or bigger than the X120e. Now if Lenovo could take the same X120e with IPS or OLED screen, maybe a more robust processor they'd have one hell of a little machine.

It seems like the best in between option for the X120e and X1C is the X230 with IPS screen. If Lenovo wants to truly make the almost perfect machine they'd have the X1C & T430 with IPS or even OLED screen at 1600x900, not sure if higher resolution is actually better on a 14" screen. I think I'll hold off for that. In the mean time I'll work with what I've got with the X120e(try to fix it still) and maybe get a good X230 on the website Flexion posted which seems to have damn good deals on their Thinkpads.

The X230 doesn't seem to be much heavier or bigger than the X120e. Now if Lenovo could take the same X120e with IPS or OLED screen, maybe a more robust processor they'd have one hell of a little machine.

The 6-cell x230 is the same weight as a 6 cell x120e. IMO, the x230 is superior in just about every single way - more power, bigger screen, IPS, dual drive (mSATA + SATA), longer battery life, full size keyboard... too bad it's just so much more expensive.

The 6-cell x230 is the same weight as a 6 cell x120e. IMO, the x230 is superior in just about every single way - more power, bigger screen, IPS, dual drive (mSATA + SATA), longer battery life, full size keyboard... too bad it's just so much more expensive.

True, the only downside is the price. I hope Lenovo offers special deep discounts throughout the year.

What sucks is the fact that there are no stores outlets where you can go and touch and see an actual Lenovo product I would consider buying. Thinkpad Tablet 2, X1 Carbon Touch even the the x230t are never shipped to best buys or other stores in my area. So what? I am supposed to order a $1700 laptop without even seeing it and then pay %15 restocking fee to a stingy chinese company?
That has been the main reason why I have not owned a new Lenovo product in the past and probably never will unless a friend of mine buys it and I get to play with it for 10-15 minutes

The X1c is excellent. Amazingly light and thin, yet solid build quality. I have not liked most of the ultrabooks at bestbuy (asus, acer, hp, etc.), love this one. It makes my X200 look big...

Screen is very good as well, great resolution for the size. Keyboard is typical thinkpad...awesome. Multi-touch touchpad works great with gestures and is smooth.

Only complaint is the battery life is not SUPER long (4-6hrs) and I wish the touchpad had hard buttons.

Back