Your opinion needed on fan configuration

Shinare

Gawd
I'm building a custom wooden case for my wife's computer. For it I have an SP-94 a Vantec Stealth 92mm, a tornado 80mm, and two generic 80mm case fans.

The case is going to be just large enough (probably) to hold 2 case fans, plus the SP-94 + fan, and the PSU. The case is going to be about as deep as an ATX motherboard is deep and longer (width) than the ATM mobo by like 4 inches. So, its actually longer width wise than it is deep. Its pretty tall, about 3/4 the hight of a mid-tower. and the front slopes back towards the back to make a sort of triangle shape when looking at the case from the side, but turns in to make a level flat top about 4 inches deep along the top. Mounting fans on the front of the case is impossible (as you will see when build is completed).

Now after all that hogwash, heres the question: What, in your opinion, would be the best placement of the fans listed above?

I'm thinking the SP-94 combo'ed with the 92mm stealth for the HSF, and a fan on each end of the case (remember its longer than it is deep so right and left side). One fan being the tornado used as INTAKE and the other fan being one of the generic 80MM jobbies as an EXHAUST on the opposite side (or could do both 80MMs as exhaust on opposite side).

Should I add a top blow-hole with the other 80mm as well or do you think I will get enough cross venalation with the tornado?

Or should I do it some other way?

Thanks for your input.

I take it that the mobo is sitting horizontal.

If so site the tornado so that it blows cold air across the top of the heatsink.
That way you get the best cooling.
one 80mm fan cooling either the ram or the vidio card depending on where you site it.
Then the psu and the other 80mm fan as exhusts.

Luck........:D

where to put your fans, i dunno, until you put up a few pics of the case.

what you definately want on your heatsink is the fan that blows the most air (highest CFM rating) so that would be the Tornado, but i dont see how any woman would put up with the noise from one of those. women will prefer some very quiet fans.

but if youre really gonna be using that, then you might as well spend $10 on couple more 92mm's with more power than the Stealth since that tornado is going to drown out any noise from any other fan, and also any noise from anything else in the room.

back to quiet, what i actually recommend is that you put away all four of those fans and spend $25 on some new ones. for the CPU try an Enermax UC-9FAB 92mm adustable, and for the case try two Evercool aluminum 92mm's (or 120mm). i just ordered those very three with the 120mm Evercools, and by the specs theyre all by far the fastest quiet fans i can find. most people swear by Panasonic Panaflos.

http://www.directron.com has all those plus a lot more real nice fans of all sizes, and their prices are the lowest ive found.

make sure you dont have any sawdust in the case. prolly wanna give the panels a real good wipe down and then laquer it up before you assemble the computer.

Yah, the mobo is sitting horizontal, forgot to mention that. I thought about putting the tornado on the sp-94 but thought that might be a waste. If its blowing a lot of air of ther HSF but its hot air becasue not much is entering/exiting the case then then its not that good cooling.

I plugged the tornado in for her to hear and she said it was fine. I'm going to be making the 7v/off/12v duel LED fanbus (located in the FAQ) for it and the other fans as well so if she needs the full speed of the tornado, wherever it is located, she can up it.

The fanbus is the reason I dont feel compelled to throw out these fans and buy new ones that are more quiet. The stealth is probably the lowest cfm fan in the whole deal so I actually might just not use it and an 80MM on the sp-94... hummmm

I dunno, any other ideas?

im tellin you, use the fastest fan you got on the sink. thats where the hot air comes from and you need to blow that hot air off quick instead of worry about warm air in the case. using that as a case fan wont greatly improve cool airflow over standard ~25 CFM fans anyway.

i say put the tornado as an intake in the middle of the side panel (on top of case if mobo is horizontal) right between your cpu and video card, than have the 92mm stealth on the hsf. the right side of your case should have an 80mm intake and the left side of your case should have an 80mm exhaust.

just my ideas, i hope it makes sense.

is the wife gonna approve of the loudness of that tornado? has she actually ever even heard that thing?

Originally posted by HRslammR
is the wife gonna approve of the loudness of that tornado? has she actually ever even heard that thing?

Yah I plugged it in and blew it on her to show her how much air that baby pushes compaired to the regular 80MM fan. She knows how loud it is, but I am thinking she is betting on me being able to "dampen" that sound a little with some creative engineering. Thats why I'm gonna put it on a 7v/off/12v fanbus.

I just dry fit everything in my case lastnight and its very tight/cramped in there. I am gonna be overclocking this CPU by about 600MHz+ (2.4-3.0+) so air cooling is critical. The full size ATX powersupply will be sitting right above the motherboard over the PCI slots. There will be about half an inch inbetween the two. The CD-ROM and HDD will be under the motherboard. The PSU takes up A LOT of wall space on the left side of the case and is pointing out the back side. So, that means I have room enough for ONE 80MM fan on the left side. I'm guessing this one will HAVE to be an exhaust otherwise any air stuffed into the case by it would be immediatly blown out of the case by the PSU. Since the area in the back of the case just above the processor and voltage regulators will be empty I will probably place a 80MM fan there. I will put another 80MM on the right side of the case blowing IN towards the HSF. I will put the Tornado on the sp-94. All fans will be on a 7v/off/12v duel LED fanbus made by me except the tornado. That will be a single throw 7v/12v switch so that my wife doesnt "accedentally" turn it off.

Does this sound like its the best setup? Like I said, its going to be really cramped in there so airflow is going to have to be paramount.

I need to go look at those links now. :)

Originally posted by kingsack
Get one of these http://www.comairrotron.com/ac_family.asp?FamilyID=66 for a blowhole exhaust fan and install 4x80mm fans on each side. You will probably want these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-401-016&depa=0 to go with that setup. LOL :cool:

*lol* Just followed your links. That fan, what, you just plug it into the wall outlet? Thats pretty freakin awsome. Tons of CFM (if I read the chart right) sept its TWICE as loud as my tornado. Good gawd.

Edit: Check this one out! 550CFM :eek:

Back