Your Nominees for 2011 Most Disappointing Game Award

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
2011 has produced some true shockers. I have a poll planned to hopefully determine the official-unofficial 2011 [H] Most Disappointing Game Award, but I need nominees.

The games with the most mentions will go ahead to feature in the poll to decide the worthy winner.

Stuck for ideas? Here are some of the more controversial releases this year:

Dragon Age II
Homefront
Brink
Crysis 2
Rage
Duke Nukem Forever
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
LA Noire

Crysis 2 for me.

Foolish to expect too much from DNF to begin with, Crysis 2 on the other hand managed to ruin the name of the series and be derpy console rubbish.

Crysis 2 for me.

Foolish to expect too much from DNF to begin with, Crysis 2 on the other hand managed to ruin the name of the series and be derpy console rubbish.

THIS x INFINITY!!!

I didn't expect too much from DNF...so there for I wasn't disappointed in it at the end of the day...plus it wasn't too bad as a mindless shoot'em up!

Crysis 2 though? Complete and UTTER waste of time...the single played completely lacked EVERYTHING that made the first so great...and the graphics were total garbage compared to the first...even after the completely half-assed DX11 patch...which honestly was the worse use of tessellation that has ever existed (not just an opinion!)...that and the fact that the "high-res texture pack" was simply textures that were the same size and detail as the FIRST Crysis that came years before it.

All the other games on the list weren't that bad honestly.

Dragon Age II - Sorta rehash of the first...not as compelling but sequels usually aren't.

Homefront - I personally enjoyed the single player...didn't see what all the negativity was about?

Brink - Core game mechanics that were demoed were there and worked excellently...great game besides the horrible single player A.I...but multiplayer I feel is solid and I'm still playing!

Crysis 2 - Read above...worse ever!

Rage - Didn't expect much here so wasn't let down..."Id" makes excellent engines but their games have sucked ass since Doom 3.

Duke Nukem Forever - Mindless shoot'em up with yesteryear graphics...still was pretty fun for a bit!

Battlefield 3 - Freakin awesome...whats wrong with you OP? Believe me...I'm the type to hardly ever conform...but this is an excellent game! Especially compared to the other "Modern" war game...

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - OK...kinda mixed here, it IS an improvement over MW2...should be called MW2.5 though! It's still far from being a bad game though. Not great...but not bad...it is a true Modern Warfare game! What were you expecting?

LA Noire - Personally I love this game...think its great and the PC version is a definite upgrade from the console version. Although this is MOST CERTAINLY a either "love it or hate it" type of game...and from what I've gathered here on the forums its mostly hated...still doesn't make it a BAD game. I've noticed that most people that hate on it only do so because its JUST NOT THEIR TYPE OF GAME OR THEY'VE NEVER PLAYED IT (which is probably the case...sheeple just conforming to others opinions)...technically speaking, as far as graphics, acting, gameplay, etc theres nothing wrong with it. Again, you either love it or you hate it...or you hate it and haven't played it...

I listed games that were either openly detested by members here, or were sources of fierce debate, deleted posts and locked threads here at [H]. They aren't all games I specifically consider to be disappointments.

Dragon Age II
Homefront
Brink
Crysis 2
Rage
Duke Nukem Forever
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
LA Noire

I knew ahead of the release that DA2, Brink, Crysis 2, DNF, CoDMW3 were all going to be thoroughly shit, so no surprise there.

I rather enjoyed Rage for the PC once fixed, and LA Noire for the PS3 with somewhat lower expectations.

To me that leaves BF3, I am mostly disappointed that the alpha/beta was so short and so unpolished. I'm disappointed they moved to a crap web service to launch the game and made Origin a requirement. I'm disappointed that netcode was so low on their list of priorities, that gameplay looks like a large troop based fustercluck, and probably most of all that their talk of PC first was really a large PR stunt, at least they admited as much post release, saying they had to switch to focus on consoles in time for launch.

I didn't buy BF3 in the end, I got a free copy with 2600k, but I'm not installing origin, no thanks.

I knew ahead of the release that DA2, Brink, Crysis 2, DNF, CoDMW3 were all going to be thoroughly shit, so no surprise there.

I rather enjoyed Rage for the PC once fixed, and LA Noire for the PS3 with somewhat lower expectations.

To me that leaves BF3, I am mostly disappointed that the alpha/beta was so short and so unpolished. I'm disappointed they moved to a crap web service to launch the game and made Origin a requirement. I'm disappointed that netcode was so low on their list of priorities, that gameplay looks like a large troop based fustercluck, and probably most of all that their talk of PC first was really a large PR stunt, at least they admited as much post release, saying they had to switch to focus on consoles in time for launch.

I didn't buy BF3 in the end, I got a free copy with 2600k, but I'm not installing origin, no thanks.

I guess you are one of the lucky ones.BF3 has been the biggest disappointment personally.Mostly i feel cheated and that's where the anger comes in.I am pretty sure all who are in love with that POS never played the franchise before and came straight from the COD franchise

1st pick: RAGE - too consolofied & lacks major kick from the textures department
2nd pick: Fable III - was supposed to be the best version according to Lionhead but now lacks any support from them regarding any bug whatsoever
3rd pick: Crysis 2 - lack of DX11 support at release
4th pick: DNF - 10+ years of development turned it to crap

I guess you are one of the lucky ones.BF3 has been the biggest disappointment personally.Mostly i feel cheated and that's where the anger comes in.I am pretty sure all who are in love with that POS never played the franchise before and came straight from the COD franchise

I played 1942, Vietnam and BF2 and I don't see any problem with Battlefield 3. The game is still fun and amazing to look out. Sure it's been dumbed down to be a bit easier and put less control in the hands of the player by removing the commander system but the game is still fun. This isn't 2002 anymore. Times change and so must the games to keep up with what the public demands.

LA Noire was very fun, I loved the crime solving and interrogating parts. Reminds me of those old click and find investigation crime games.

I am pretty sure all who are in love with that POS never played the franchise before and came straight from the COD franchise

If by straight from COD you mean 1943 in college, followed by a brief stint in Vietnam and then years of BF2, BF2142, BC and BC2 - then yes.

I haven't had as many crazy times as BF2 gave me, but to be fair I haven't played it nearly as long. Currently playing BF3 on PC and 360 and am quite enjoying both.

I was going to be on topic and list my most disappointing game as well, but after thinking about it I can't complain about any of them. Portal 2 wasn't longer?

Last edited:
Dead Island. I really wanted to like it, but holy crap it's terrible.

I'm going to have to go with this one. Do any of the others have unfixed bugs that cause you to lose uber items that you spent hours or days getting?

Dragon Age II

The disappointing sequel to one of the best RPGs of modern times. Haven't I been to this dungeon before?

Red Orchestra 2.

I appreciate what Tripwire tried to do in making RO2 better and more immersive than RO1, but it's 50% less fun.

DNF - despite entering with low expectations this still endes up being the most disappointing game of the year for me.

2nd place goes to RAGE - this game could have been game of the year for me if anything other than the FPS portion of the game hadn't been so lackluster

Honorable mention goes to BF3 - great game but support and stability are both very disappointing.

LA Noire.

Fantastic potential. Fantastic animations. Fantastic concept.

Execution fell way short of potential.

I really want to say DNF, but unlike RAGE, it worked out of the box without any special driver hot fixes to get it at least playable.

So my vote goes to RAGE!

Dead Island

I know the others are a big deal because they were long awaited but personally I'd been watching the Dead Island development for a long time. It's seems like the project was shutdown for a couple years and then all the sudden they received massive funding but somehow the core idea of a dark survival horror story morphed into a wanna be borderlands with stupid achievements, a goofy story, and light hearted poorly done Melee combat. The minute I started the game up I was broken hearted at how 12 year old xbox achievement kiddie the game had become.

Games like Dead Island make me want to stop playing AAA titles altogether.

Second place goes to Homefront. Ignored the fanboy craze about BF3 and supported Homefront from the beginning. The idea of Red Dawn inspired combat with Team point based weapon earning seemed incredible. Complete failure on every aspect. I paid $30 for a 2 hour single player campaign with no ending and multiplayer poorly managed. I won't even get into [H]'s complaints about the graphics.

Brink.
DNF I already knew would suck cock.
Crysis 2 was bad ass and don't know wtf the hate is about... :eek:

Crysis 2. For the company which was the poster child of gobsmackingly gorgeous PC gaming to take the IP that cemented that reputation and turned into ugly consolized garbage with uninspired gameplay is inexcusable.

BF3 is borderline, and purely because of Origin. There's nothing wrong with the game itself aside from requiring Origin to play it and the fact that it's still not on Steam. If it were a "most disappointing publisher of the year" award, EA would win it in the biggest landslide in recorded history.

Brink doesn't qualify because it wasn't as highly hyped, and it wasn't from a studio with a proven track record of excellence. Given Splash Damage's past projects, it wasn't out of line to assume that they'd have a really cool concept with lacking execution, which is exactly what Brink is.

Rage, DNF and Dead Island can't qualify for "Most Disappointing" because being disappointed requires having some level of hope in the first place. iD makes good engines, but they haven't made a good game since Quake 3. We all knew DNF was going to be awful, so it was only exciting from a rose-colored nostalgia glasses perspective. I could never bring myself to give a damn about Dead Island (burnt out on the wave of zombie games), so when it turned out to be awful, my only thought was "glad I never gave a damn".

I will vouch for these:

1) Brink - waste of $40-$50, lacked polish, balance, good maps...just didn't live up to expectations in general
2) MW3 - impossible to get past the distractingly dated graphics
3) BF3 - haven't played it so no idea if the gameplay was good or not, the "most disappointing" part came from the revelation pre-launch that this was an Origin exclusive, so different interpretation of disappointing here

BF3 since you have to willingly consent to installing a trojan on your computer to play it.

OMG I love you. I feel the exact same way...I'm debating on going back to BF2 since BF3 is so bad :(

for me it was Batman Arkham City, the only time all year that as the credits rolled I just couldnt fathom that that was it, huge disappointment the whole way through

especially because I fucking loved arkham asylum

DA II

The comments on this forum along with some youtubing, and I didn't bother buying it. That took some work because I thought DA:O was friggin' awesome.

for me it was Batman Arkham City, the only time all year that as the credits rolled I just couldnt fathom that that was it, huge disappointment the whole way through

especially because I fucking loved arkham asylum

Really? Damn. Haven't beaten it, but so far I'm loving it more than Asylum mostly because of being able to fly around the city and glide onto people's heads. Gameplay is pretty much the same though with combat and gadgets. Story is excellent to be honest, and the addition of playing catwoman is a nice pace changer.

Far and away "Dragon Age 2" for me, even with all the warning signs, it was a real bummer getting that product in your hand.

I haven't played "Rage", but if I had it'd probably be my runner up. I really thought ID had seen the light and were about to put out a game where the game design was as modern as the tech.

Red Orchestra 2.

I appreciate what Tripwire tried to do in making RO2 better and more immersive than RO1, but it's 50% less fun.

Agreed. I really want to like it, but the original + mods are far more enjoyable for me still

I guess the others weren't as much as a disappointment, as I was not expecting them to amount to much anyway. DNF was somewhat disappointing, even though we could all see the shit a mile away. Knew Crysis 2 was going to be ass, Homefront, Brink and Rage were never even on my radar, and I don't even look at the mainstream shooters like BF3 or MW3 these days.

Sword of the Stars II was quite a let down, but I know they're working hard on getting it to a much more playable state - so it may be good at some point.

Back