Your Meme Sucks - The Computer Told Me So

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

Facebook is setting itself up to use AI to read your memes...something like a billion memes a day on its platforms. You can read about Rosetta tech in this blog post. Not that identifying text and reading it in a picture is anything new, but how it will be using that data is the likely concern. Excuse me while I jump over to my FB account and see if I can piss some more people off today.

Text extracted from images is being used as a feature in various upstream machine learning models such as those to improve the relevance and quality of photo search, automatically identify content that violates our hate-speech policy on the platform in various languages, and improve the accuracy of classification of photos in News Feed to surface more personalized content.

2. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Can't piss off more people than me.
    Hopefully this gets rid of the person/s responsible for checking flagged content as they might be biased against beliefs or the lack of and can twist whatever posted to seem hateful.

3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

so this will give them the ability to ban people based off the text in memes. am I getting that right?

Kyle_Bennett and The Mad Atheist like this.
  5. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

They misquoted that part. Surely they said. "more censored content"

6. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

i hope it works out better than the poor people whose names were banned.

7. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Crap. So this means that a picture is no longer worth a thousand words - only a pithy phrase or two.

AI-bots: Dehumanizing demented self-expression everywhere you're tracked.

Armenius likes this.
  8. Kinestron

Kinestron [H]Lite

So glad I don't use Facebook. I just wish they would delete my content as I've requested many times but of course that feature is not as straightforward as it should be.

9. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

Android has had this in their file explorer for quite a while, but they pulled the app. The app is still freely available though.

Edit. Look it's back. It's called files go.

10. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

It is time to start over as a species.

11. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Memes we don't like we'll call fake news and shadow ban while promoting the memes we do like. And if the bias is blatant, it will be 'oops, we won't do that again'.

12. RMCO

RMCO n00b

They need to machine learn the memes so they can fact check what memes you should be reading and remove the ones you shouldn't.