Your first OS

MS-DOS 5 with Windows 3.1 on an IBM 55sx (386sx/16mhz, 8mb RAM, 60mb HDD), I used an Apple II before that but I really didn't know what I was doing.

Started using Linux in 1997 with Redhat Linux 4.2.

Last edited:
I was given a old (Even at the time which was around 1996) Tandy 1000 which I believe ran a version of Dos 2.xx

I loved playing Leisure Suit Larry on it (Provided I could even get into the game as there were questions only an "adult" person should know:D )

DOS 4.x don't remember exactly. Didn't even have windows for a long time.
Did have PC Tools. I used to sit and watch my hard drive defrag. Amazed.

MsDOS 3.3 (i think) on my 8086 from Texas Instruments, no windows for me!

slackware a bit later on.

I am serious! It run in a computer back in Brazil 30+ years ago. (Don't remember much, or version and the correct name)

Windows 3.0/3.11 and DOS 6 back in '93-94. Before that I used various Apple II and IBM AT PCs in class, but never owned a machine of my own at that point in time. So far, Windows Vista (post SP1) and 7 are my favorites.

Windows 3.1 and used it to learn how to touch type.
Win 7 has been the most reliable although I've been playing with the new Win 10 and am liking it so far.

Apple DOS 3.3. We had an old Apple IIe (this was in the early 90's, that's how poor we were!). Next OS after that was Windows 3.11, and we pretty much moved up the chain of Windows OS's, skipping ME, 2000, and Vista along the way.

DOS 5 / Win 3.1

Things have gone downhill since those PC gaming glory days.
Everything is console platform first crap now dumbed-down to hell.

What was your first OS and what is your favorit of all times would be?
If you ask me. my first OS was Windows 3.1. As for my favorite OS of all times. It was and still is Windows 2000. :)

SCP (System Control Program)

We loaded our application programs via 7-track tape which you had to "point to" by using a combination of patch panel settings (the patch panel was 6'x6'x6') and by entering the logical location on the front panel of your CP-642B (Univac 1212) Mainframe computer by loading each individual CPU register using assembly language.

(Front Panel)
NTDS-cp-642-console-.jpg

(Full View)
Production_CP-642_768h.jpg

The "tray" looking things in the second pic, above, are the Memory cards, expansion cards, and I/O Cards

My first was MS-DOS 3.2 on a 386DX20. I have used every Microsoft OS since then, hated some, some were ok, some were good.

In 1994 I started playing with Linux, in 1995 my computer had a boot menu so I could boot to DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11 with Personal Netware, OS/2 and OS/2 with Windows, Windows NT 3.5, Slackware Linux, and Windows95.

I have run Linux versions here and there since 1995. In 1995 I started playing with Apple computers and worked with OS 8, OS 9, and later OS X.

My computers currently run OS X 10.10, Windows 7, and Debian Linux.

I have been a Systems Admin and had to manage AIX, HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, SCO Unix, Linux, Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Windows 2012.

I don't have a favorite. I have enjoyed them all.

First OS was IBM PC-DOS 1.1. Windows 2000 was my favorite until Windows 7. Now it's Windows 7.

DOS 5.0 was my first OS. Shortly thereafter my first GUI was Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

I think I used Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (only at work), Windows NT (only at work), Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 in that order.

Commodore VIC-20's BASIC. Then we upgraded to the C64 about 3 years later, still BASIC. Our first GUI OS was Windows 3.0 on a 486 machine.

TI-99/4A first, then Commodore 64 basic followed by Amiga OS, then moved to DOS\Windows world

My first was Windows 95, but that was on my parent's very expensive computer. My first OS on a computer that I could tinker with was OS/2 1.0. Then I messed around with Windows 3.1 for a while.

Since when is windows 3.x an OS? It's a gui that runs on DOS.
It's far more than a GUI. By the time Windows hit 3.0 it contained a large number of system services that superseded DOS (and BIOS) calls in order to allow multiple DOS (and native) applications to run at once. Windows 3.x was an OS.

GEOS and GEM were also OSs, despite running on top of another layer too. It wasn't unusual back then.

TI-99/4A first, then Commodore 64 basic followed by Amiga OS, then moved to DOS\Windows world

How old are you? Late 30s, early 40s? I had a similar (never got the Amiga, though... Damn).

My first OS was some version of DOS I don't even remember. I vaguely remember an upgrade box sitting on the shelf for DOS 6 something, so the first one I used was before v6. I don't even remember what year that was - think my dad brought home our first IBM DOS PC sometime around 1988-1990 ish.

My favorite OS is definitely Win7 x64. Beautiful interface and easy to use. No complaints here, especially when compared to the history of windows versions I've used over the years.

TI-59 calculator. Saved programs on magnetic memory strips, the printer dock, and a bunch of memory modules. Good times!

Then eventually upgraded to a ZX-81.

98SE on an Aptiva. Added a Voodoo 3-3000 and maxed out the ram to 256mb. It ran CFS (MS combat flight sim) just fine on the Zone. Still have it, btw.

Sinclair BASIC on my Sinclair ZX81
First MS was DOS 2.1

Favorite : Windows 2000. Most stable OS from MS.

Back