Your first flash drive

NeghVar

2[H]4U
Do you remember the capacity of your first flash drive?

Mine was 128MB. I still have it too.
L61-3578b.jpg

2gb as I can remember... Through High School when I needed a flash drive I was rebuilding/ photo documenting the build of my '67 Falcon's turbocharged 6cyl.. So I never actually had a flash drive for the longest time. I carried my camera and a cable and just used internal storage on the camera.. The SD card on the camera was 64mb though, because I still have it.. Camera was a 1.3 megapixel cmos sensor cheapo that I bought for school.

I remember my dad bringing home a 1gb stick from work when 256mb sticks were top of the line

iirc I got a 16MB USB 'stick' at COMDEX 2000 in Las Vegas and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Some vendor was handing them out at the show and I was attempting to get several of 'em but they just wouldn't share, those bastards. :D

32mb freebie my dad got from a trade show translucent orange and slightly oval shaped

First USB stick was a 256MB of some forgotten "high end" brand my dad bought me (for near $100) when I went to college. Piece of garbage wasn't very reliable and crapped out after about 6 months. 2nd stick was a memorex 1GB for half the price and still won't quit on me after all the "unsafe" removals I subject it to.

First real flash memory was the 4MB Compact Flash module that came with an (expensive and shitty) HP point and shoot digital camera. Not sure what happened to the camera, but the card is in my parts drawer...probably because we bought a bigger card for it and then just kept it as extra. And it still works! Apparently year 2000 flash has at least 11 years of unpowered data retention (and still had 16 year old photos on it).
20180719_200414.jpgIM000005.JPG (Shameless 16 yo photo of long-passed beloved kitty that could not unsee what she had seen)

A 4 or 8 MB card for one of my palm/zire/treo pdas. I still have the zire and treo, but at some point, probably when I got my 1st digital camera, I upgraded to a sweet 256 MB Kodak SD card that I still have. The 1 & 2 GB cards came with (I think) phones. My 1st USB drive was a 512 MB OCZ Rally that I still have and use for small stuff.
20180720_012508.jpg

I had some like 64 and 128 meg flash drives sitting around but gave them away a while ago. Someone on one of the forms needed some small usb drives for some old equipment that wouldn't accept the newer bigger drives.

I was in my late teens when they were taking off, but I can't remember exactly.

32 or 64mb sounds about right....

I won a 64MB flash drive in a computer drafting competition in 2002.
Compared to the floppies everyone else had it was amazing.

For USB drives my first was an 128 mb USB 1 drive(Memorex I believe) with a switch on the bottom that enabled a write-protect mode, even after I replaced it with a larger one it got a lot of use cleaning infected computers since I felt comfortable plugging it into them with the drive locked.

For USB drives my first was an 128 mb USB 1 drive(Memorex I believe) with a switch on the bottom that enabled a write-protect mode, even after I replaced it with a larger one it got a lot of use cleaning infected computers since I felt comfortable plugging it into them with the drive locked.

At one of the PC sales and service shops I worked at, we had portable versions of numerous anti-malware apps on a USB flash drive with a read-only switch.

These were all for personal use keychain duty, I've had way more than this.
This was my first, 128MB. It died after dropping my keys while unlocking my gas cap.

th.jpg

Then I got one of these 1GB liquid metal ones w/ that horrible U3 bullshit (that I wiped off) that split in 2, than got the 2GB which did the same thing.

thY.jpg

Then I got a 16GB waterproof Transend that I can't find pics for, Ironically it died in the toilet.

This one I still have Centon DataStick Sport 32GB, even after breaking the eyelet off and drilling a whole in it to attach to my key ring, which came off as well, so a zip tie it is.
I only use these to carry anti-spyware programs, Office, Photoshop and other odds and ends for my cliental.

20180720_114318.jpg

By today's standards it was tiny. IIRC 4 or 8 megabytes. It was a promo from one of our vendors and us netcom folks fought over that shit night and day.

128MB Creative Labs MuVo 1st-gen. No screen, and the only way to enforce play order was by using a DOS batch file to copy the files.

I wrote a piece of software called MuVoMaster to work around this lunacy and turn an m3u playlist into that batch file.. I later repurposed it to turn m3u playlists into mp3 CDs for my car.

SanDisk cruzer 256MB it proved handy but was very slow so limited the handiness a bit. Since USB 3.0 came on the scene, I've been quite dependent on them.

32MB back when that was as big as it got. Paid out the ass for it at the college bookstore.

64MB. No name thing. Worked a lot better than the set of parallel/serial sync cables that I never left the home without back then.

Back