Votes: 5 3.0%
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Votes: 24 14.5%

• Total voters

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
First, sorry if this thread is against the rules. I double checked the forum rules and didn't see any game-forum specific rules (sorry if they were missed!).

So I just went to Gamestop and was luck enough to find a used copy of The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I looked all over E-Bay, but most were around $50/60 or more, plus shipping. I finally found it at gamestop for $45. I have been looking for this for two reasons. A) I got a Wii a while back, and like the fact that I can play some Old Zelda games on the GC disk, and B) I've been itching to play Majora's Mask again. I really enjoyed this game, even though a lot of people didn't like it. Which gave me the idea for this thread.

Whats your favorite Zelda game, and why. If you want, also post your LEAST favorite and why. I'm limitting the options to the major consoles (not hand-helds, etc) in the poll, but if you want to post about one I didn't mention, feel free!

My personal favorite was Zelda III: A Link to the Past. I loved the concept between the light and dark world's of Hyrule. (Also liked Metroid Prime: Echoes for this reason). It was just a very good gameplay and story line experience. I've played through it at LEAST 3-4 times between now and the time it came out.

Zelda OOT on 64 was by far my favorite. I need to get that back, let my little sister borrow my 64 when she went off to college. That game rocked.

My favorite game I think of all time is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'm not quite sure why. It's just such a great adventure game. I continue to play it all the time. I also play the master's quest version too.

I've only played the first zelda and the most recent zelda. I'll have to go with twilight princess.

Direwolf20 said:
OOT is definately a close 2nd for me. That game was amazing. You can get it on Gamecube one of two ways.

The collector's edition, mentioned above, or The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Its got the original OOT on the disk, but it also has a more difficult and different "Master Quest" version. Very cool!

Wow, i forgot i had that, so i'm still iffy about putting a GC disk in a Wii, has anyone tried it?

k1pp3r said:
Wow, i forgot i had that, so i'm still iffy about putting a GC disk in a Wii, has anyone tried it?
... Why on earth would you be iffy about it?

I play GC games on my Wii and it's fine. It's not like this is something you're not supposed to do. The Wii is designed for it.

k1pp3r said:

Yeah, a bunch of times. Not a single hiccup or problem. It's a no-brainer, don't worry about it.

Anyway, since I haven't finished TP yet, OOT gets my vote.

k1pp3r said:

It works perfectly fine. The only problem is that once the Wii is in GC mode, you can't use the remote to turn the damn thing off. If I am playing RE4 before bed I will actually have to get up and press the button on the wii to turn it off when I'm ready to sleep :mad:

I swear I will kill anyone who votes Wind Waker.......

OOT>*, Twilight princess is a HUGE step back into the RIGHT direction for the series.

For content, so far Twilight Princess is really impressing me (except the boss battles are a little too easy). However, when it comes to *ART DESIGN*, nothing beats Wind Waker. It's too bad the wanker jerkoff fanbase pissed and moaned about it so we ended up with an OOT lookalike instead.

MrBojangels said:
I swear I will kill anyone who votes Wind Waker.......

OOT>*, Twilight princess is a HUGE step back into the RIGHT direction for the series.

I voted for Wind Waker soely on the basis of art design. Twilight Princess is a step in the right direction from a *game design* perspective, but for Art Design, it's a major step BACKWARDS.

That was very hard to choose!! I like TP, OoT, MM, and the original LoZ. Either TP (though I'm not done with it) for the adventure and side quests, but the original for the very non-linear gameplay (go all over the whole map at the beginning of the game).

Oot hands down. While going back and playing it again would not be as fun as twilight princess, childhood memories > *
:)

Link to the Past was my all time favorite. I still play it now an then. The original is a close second since it's, well, the beginning of it al.

OOT, while it had a great WOW!!! factor of a 3D world map, just didn't cut it for me really. I mean I liked it, but it felt like the same game as LTP just in 3D and a few extras thrown in (skulltulas and such).

Twilight Princess I like much better than OOT. The story and gameplay just seem so much more involved and less childish than. But in defense of OOT, Link was a child for half the game, and a teenager for the other half.

But overall, LTP was the ultimate for me. It introduced more to the gameplay than any of the others did.

Oh and I never played Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

EDIT: I absolutely hated Zelda II. I played it for five minutes and threw it out. It was horrible.

DragonMasterAlex said:
I voted for Wind Waker soely on the basis of art design. Twilight Princess is a step in the right direction from a *game design* perspective, but for Art Design, it's a major step BACKWARDS.
Cell shading isn't art.

For me it's still the first one. I still remember winning the game and then realizing that the "2nd quest" was more or less a sequel and was a totally new game.
Zelda 2 was okay, but a little tedious. That and it was on Rambo engine :p
Zelda 3 was a fun throwback, but something about it just annoyed me.
Ocarina was everything I'd hoped for and more. A definite 2nd place so far.
Majora's Mask came out the same day as the PS2, so I never got it!
I didn't like Wind Waker. I don't like when games are so open ended that you're stretched thin and given 50 possible quests at once, but no real "direction."
So far I'm enjoying Twilight Princess, but it's WAAAAY too much of a puzzle game for my tastes.

I voted for Link to the Past. I've played through it at least ten times. It's as close to perfect as you can get, in my opinion.

MrBojangels said:
Cell shading isn't art.
Depends on its usage. With Wind Waker, the execution and stylization is brilliant.

ryan_975 said:
Link to the Past was my all time favorite. I still play it now an then. The original is a close second since it's, well, the beginning of it al.
And is actually available on the DS now. Thanks, Nintendo!

I would have said OoT but i just beat TP last night and the ending ingame cut scenes are just amazing. TP wins cause the story is just unbelievable and the way Nintendo tells it is amazing. MM and WW are not the best games but they are good.

also Midna > Navi

Dion said:
<snip>
also Midna > Navi

most definately. Navi was the most annoying worthless piece of shit in OoT. Most of the time when she had something ot say it was so blatnently obviously you had to have been braindead not to already know what she had to tell you. And her constantly jumping around to things was (while a few time helpful) very distracting. And something she just jumped to something that I could never figure out why.

At least Midna stay's out of sight or on your back, not jumping around to everything in the playfield. And when she has something to say (so far) it's after you've try something yourself and not figured it out (i.e a boss' weakness). Plus it's usually useful information she delves out.

I loved OoT. That game was very addicting and was one of the main reasons I was glad to have an N64.

UnlimitedMP said:
HEYLISTENHEYLISTEN
HEYLISTENHEYLISTEN
HEYLISTENHEYLISTEN
HEYLISTENHEYLISTEN :)

OoT ftw.

damn I forgot about that part of her character. ugh. that high pitched whiny .... (go to your happy place :) mmmmm.)

My most favorite? Definately A Link to the Past. That was about as perfect as Zelda got. From there, it just went downhill for me. Unfortunately, it went downhill too quickly. I did like the Game Boy games, but unlike practically every other person here, for some reason, I just disliked OoT. From the first second I turned on the N64's power to watching the ending, I didn't enjoy myself once. Probably only beat it just to say that I did. I liked Windwaker, Twilight Princess, and Majoras Mask better, but not much. Heck, I prefer the Philips CD-i Zelda games to the N64+ Zelda games. Oh well, opinions.

Ocarina of Time would have been my favorite, and in the scheme of Zelda titles it is arguably the most innovative (making the transition to 3D and becoming a AAA title), but Twilight Princess has won me over. Perhaps it's just because I played it the most recently, but the story is fantastic and much more mature and dark than the others. The combat is fluid and rewarding, and everything just seems more epic.

The first Zelda may have started it all, but guys, the title has progressed a lot since then.

quadnad said:
Ocarina of Time would have been my favorite, and in the scheme of Zelda titles it is arguably the most innovative (making the transition to 3D and becoming a AAA title), but Twilight Princess has won me over. Perhaps it's just because I played it the most recently, but the story is fantastic and much more mature and dark than the others. The combat is fluid and rewarding, and everything just seems more epic.

The first Zelda may have started it all, but guys, the title has progressed a lot since then.

Yeah, but for it's time (and still today) it was a blast to play. It took me weeks to get it all figured out. There were few (if any) hints as to where to go to finish your next task. Ther was no interactive map (or a map at all for that matter) to show you where you where everything was. It all had to be figured out. And then when you finally beat it, it gave you a second quest that everything was changed up on you and you had to figure it out again.

ryan_975 said:
Yeah, but for it's time (and still today) it was a blast to play. It took me weeks to get it all figured out. There were few (if any) hints as to where to go to finish your next task. Ther was no interactive map (or a map at all for that matter) to show you where you where everything was. It all had to be figured out. And then when you finally beat it, it gave you a second quest that everything was changed up on you and you had to figure it out again.

Yeah, it certainly was an amazing game to play.

I'm going to have to choose Link to the Past.

I feel as if every Zelda after that one has been a regression. In Link to the Past, you were given an open world, where exploring really payed off. You got shit like the 3 medallions, the ice rod, the cane of super awesome invincibility, and the cloak of invisibility. Nobody told you to go out and get that stuff, you just could if you wanted. (I guess the guy does tell you to get the ice rod, but he says something like "Why dont you go visit that cave near the lake? You might want to do that sometime.")

In the modern Zelda games, what do you get for exploring? You get a piece of heart, or a mother fucking orange rupee. The piece of heart is the only thing thats worth anything.. I mean really, what do you get for breaking your balls getting all those Gold Skulltula's in OoT? A god damn huge rupee. Well holy shit mister, thanks a lot, you just payed me what, 2 rupees an hour for all that work of finding all 100 of those bastards? OoT wasnt that bad. You got cool stuff like the fire arrow and the ice arrow for doing some stuff, also the 3 spells and the white border around your hearts was also worth the exploration, but all those things didnt seem to have the same spark as the rewards in LttP

I wish it went back to the stuff like Link to the Past. Where exploring gave you an awesome new item, instead of 100 useless rupees. I dont know how many of you grabbed that chest on top of the cliff in Kakariko Village in Twilight Princess, but for those of you who did, you were probably pretty pissed when you opened that son of a bitch... I hate that feeling. I feel like exploring is becoming so limited in the past Zelda games that I dont even want to do bother any more. When I played Link to the Past I was so motivated to explore every cave because you never know what you might get. Shit, the silver arrows and golden sword were completely optional in that game, and you only got them if you explored and found where to get them. I want real awards for exploring, not another orange rupee in my wallet.

...whoa what are we talking about? Oh yeah... hey, wheres Link's Awakening on that list? Quite possibly the funniest Zelda game ever made :I

Yeah, I really enjoyed all 4 of the Game Boy Zelda games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap).

I would have voted for Link's Awakening (Gameboy), but I wasn't given the option :(

Ocarina of time is my all time favorite Zelda game. It had a great storyline and was tons of fun to play. A Link to the Past comes in second.

My least favorite was Zelda 2. Worst. Zelda. Game. Ever. Zelda 2 wasn't fun to play at all, it was tedious, mostly due the sheer amount of pesky critters inhabiting Hyrule in that game. I'm not surprised that (as of typing this) nobody has voted for it.

I put down Ocarina as its the only zelda title that I have played
:(

[F]old|[H]ard

i like twilight princess way more than should be legal. i put TP in my top 3 of all times list.

a link to the past...

because when you tought the game was done... you just found out you were only 50% done... and the whole dark and light world really gave an opportunity to explore and find secrets.

minish cap is also a blast!

i really feel the 2d games of zelda were the best... even if the 3d era is still pretty good... its not up to par for my taste.

MrBojangels said:
Cell shading isn't art.

It wasn't Cell Shading. It was a SIMILAR technique, but it would take an art ignoramous to make that claim. Wind Waker was FAR more attractive to look at than TP is. The specific technique is called "Toon Shading", and if you can't tell the difference between it and Cell shading, you really need an education in art.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Wind Waker was FAR more attractive to look at than TP is.

I completely disagree. I love the graphical improvements as well as the older and more mature look of TP.

Back