Your favorite WebDesign Software?

tekk2k

n00b
I am in the planning phase of creating a website. And I was wondering if you guys had any ideas about any cool and interesting website design software? I have macromedia studio 7(dreamweaver,fireworks,flash,etc..) and it seems cool, but I wanted to check and see whatelse is out there. What are some of your favorite website design software?

Vim and SciTE. I hand code all my pages.

Dreamweaver was not bad though, but I only used its code view.

Macromedia Homesite

Haven't tried any other editors, but it works fine for html/php/asp

I use VS.NET 2003 for any vb.net stuff. While I have my gripes about it on how it handles html, it kicks ass with code behind files.

i like Dreamweaver. that's all i'v used so far, i think its fine. :cool:

ASP/HTML/JavaScript - HomeSite and Notepad
DotNet - VS 2003

I have used prior versions of HtmlEd Pro, but I wasn't as happy with it as when I found HomeSite.

Mostly on-topic ... Does anyone have a suggestion to a code environment to do JavaScript/Java that has something similar to the "Intellisense" feature of the Visual Studio package? I'm trying to expand more into the Java side, and such an application would be extremely beneficial to dynamically see a list of available properties, methods, overrides, etc.
*Free* is nice, but I'll pay some money for a solid application that someone from the forums will recommend.

Vim is the best text editor handsdown. Macromedia is nice for getting some framework stuff up.

VS.NET for asp stuff isn't that bad, although I tend to stick solely to vim.

Windows: Notepad for quick stuff and Araneae for working on projects.

*NIX: I'm a Pico/Nano fan-boy. I never could get used to vi(m) enough to consider using it as a full-time editor.

Mac: BBEdit

I use dreamweaver mx 2004 when I am on windows for doing my css/php/mysql work and I use photoshop for graphics work

when I am on freebsd (more often) I use scite/bluefish for doing css/php/mysql and I use Gimp for graphics work

Photoshop CS2 + Dreamweaver MX 2004 (or 8) = Sweet

Oh yes and Firefox with the combination of IE View extension, a Web Designer's best friend. And a little Notepad 2 is great for some hand coding (like PHP, Java, or JavaScript)

I use ConTEXT for my code, Dreameaver on occasion to manage the larger tables. Photoshop & Illustrator for the graphics.

1c3d0g said:

I used to use that until I found Araneae. Opening multiple documents in tabs pretty much sealed the deal for me. If you want to try it, get 5.0 RC2 in the beta section on the forums. It's way better than 4.x.

Vim.. and Perl for the generated goodness (also coded in Vim, or just vi on the *n*x side.)

The good thing about dreamweaver (i use Dreamweaver 8) is that firefox and it are completely intergrated you could say. What you see in dreamweaver when designing a page, is ussually what you get when you preview the page in firefox, where with IE and Opera, it gets all messed up (especially using tables and cells). I think that proves that firefox is a hell of a browser and is great at rendering. Dreamwer 8 is also very good, i love the new zoom in feature in D8

Sloth_Boy said:
The good thing about dreamweaver (i use Dreamweaver 8) is that firefox and it are completely intergrated you could say. What you see in dreamweaver when designing a page, is ussually what you get when you preview the page in firefox, where with IE and Opera, it gets all messed up (especially using tables and cells). I think that proves that firefox is a hell of a browser and is great at rendering. Dreamwer 8 is also very good, i love the new zoom in feature in D8
While there is some truth in that, if you are designing a page for mass-use, ie; online store, such as myself, you can't design a page for Firefox. You have to design it for both, and more importantly for Internet Explorer. However, Dreamweaver does have a habit of filling up spaces with useless code, and sometimes does wierd things with tables.

The Donut said:
While there is some truth in that, if you are designing a page for mass-use, ie; online store, such as myself, you can't design a page for Firefox. You have to design it for both, and more importantly for Internet Explorer. However, Dreamweaver does have a habit of filling up spaces with useless code, and sometimes does wierd things with tables.
thats why you should just use CSS rather than tables ;)

of course, thats just my .02$, but take that from a person (me) who used to design using tables all the time.

I peronally use kate for everything, since I'm a KDE guy.
The support for editing files directly over ftp and ssh is at times very useful.
Combined with firefox (the webdeveloper extention can be useful), that's enough for most things.

I use UltraEdit for coding, just because I'm too lazy to find something dedicated to web design.

Lately I've been using Visual Web Developer Express Beta 2 for .Net. It's basically just the web portion of VS 2005, but it's all I need. Does code-behind very easily. There are still a couple bugs to work out, but when it goes gold, I'll probably use it even more.

1c3d0g said:
I'll have to add that a friend of mine highly recommends TopStyle, but I haven't tried it myself. :)

Topstyle is great for CSS, but IMO, it's a bit annoying to have separate programs for HTML and CSS. Suprisingly VS.net is great for working CSS files.

Whenever I do web development its always done on a Windows machine with Textpad. I cant seem to find a replacement for Textpad in Linux, the closest thing I've found so far has been Bluefish.

inotocracy said:
Whenever I do web development its always done on a Windows machine with Textpad. I cant seem to find a replacement for Textpad in Linux, the closest thing I've found so far has been Bluefish.

What textpad features are you missing?
I use textpad sporadically on windows, and always find it clunky compared to kate, but I imagine it has features I'm not aware of.

The programs I use the most, currently anyway, are PHP Designer 2005 and the lite version of TopStyle (for the CSS).

PHP Designer 2005 is free and don't let the name mislead you. It can edit HTML/XHTML, PHP, JavaScript, CSS, XML, Perl, Visual Basic, Java, C# and SQL. It has syntax highlighting for all of those. Yeah, it has some bugs but it's a great editor and it's free. Also a newer version is supposed to be coming out sometime in the near future.

Even though it does CSS pretty good I'm a person that likes to have my CSS in a different editor. I can't really explain why I like it that way, I just do.

HHunt said:
What textpad features are you missing?
I use textpad sporadically on windows, and always find it clunky compared to kate, but I imagine it has features I'm not aware of.

I just love its simplicity, of course there are editors that have the same features as Textpad (see Bluefish) but I just find Textpad to be so, whats the word, light weight while still retaining some kind of complexity to it. The way it handles indentation, tabulation, syntax highlighting, file locking. Not really sure, I just cant seem to recreate the experience I get while programming PHP/HTML/CSS in Textpad in other editors.

Back