Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vim

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Regular Notepad/Gedit

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you guys like for an all around source code editor? I'm currently using Notepad++ and have been for awhile, but am looking for something a bit more powerful. Any suggestions? (I also do use alot of nano/vim/vi for on the fly editing)

Think you really need to specify what you mean by "more powerful." That could really mean a lot of things. For on the fly type stuff we use Notepad++ or Crimson Editor. For more indepth stuff we have Dreamweaver and Microsoft Web Studio suite.

NetBeans for PHP
Eclipse for Java
Visual Studio for .NET

edit: for "on the fly" stuff, I use either Notepad++ (at work, Windows) or TextMate (OSX)

What do you guys like for an all around source code editor? I'm currently using Notepad++ and have been for awhile, but am looking for something a bit more powerful. Any suggestions? (I also do use alot of nano/vim/vi for on the fly editing)
You missed a big one - VS

if notepad had line numbers and a color scheme it would rock the friggen house.

woops forgot VS and Other...thought i put them in.will kill thread and open a new one

KevySaysBeNice's answer is the most spot on for me at least. I use different IDEs depending on the job. I add these to his list:

Dreamweaver for ColdFusion.
Aptana for simple sites.

NotePad++ I really don't edit in, but it is my default for opening most files.

Aptana for PHP
VS for .NET
Dreamweaver for front-end stuff

I'm a C++ developer so Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010. Throw in Whole Tomato Visual Assist.

If not in Windows or I'm doing Java, Eclipse and Vim.

Lots of missing choices; just another lame poll.

TextPad
Eclipse
Visual Studio
Code::Blocks
TextMate
Xcode

I used to use textpad but switched to notepad++ recently since textpad is not free software. This is for on the fly stuff.

Eclipse I use for real programming. This poll should allow two votes.

Notepad++ for me. But, others:

Used:
EditPlus
Jedit
Metapad
Arachnophilia
Crimson Editor
Scite

Haven't used:
Komodo edit/IDE

I prefer IntelliJ IDEA for Flash/Flex.
I actually use Flashbuilder(eclipse based) at work.
VS2K8 for .NET and Javascript stuff at work.
I've been learning C++ and really like the simplicity of CodeBlocks over VS for what I'm doing
PythonIDLE for Python stuff.
VisualWorks has been edging out Pharo for some Smalltalk/Seaside stuff I've been learning.

I've tried Aptana with jQuery/Dojo plugins. It wasn't 100% last time I used it, but better than most.

I hear good things about TextMate, but I'm not on a Mac. I think SublimeText might be a good PC counterpart though.

Notepad++ for opening up files and things like PHP and XHTML.
Eclipse for Java.
Visual Studio for C++.

hmm this list is missing some big options

VS for projects
emacs for small perl, php, and shell script stuff i want to quickly whip up

g/Vim with several files that customize it depending on the filetype. I use it almost for everything, but thinking of change it for something else for diffs

You've used vim and you're looking for something more powerful? Are you sure you used the right vim? You can do almost anything in it, it just takes a bit of learning.

Notepad++ is my universal editor, though. Haven't been heavy in the unix world for a bit so have gotten away from vim.

My fav is Netbeans for Java development, followed by Eclipse, followed by Visual Studio.

O.K., now that we have more info, gather up all the listed editors and make a new poll. Then, throw in some "other (explain in thread)", "I don't care" and "I don't edit source code" etc. options in the poll for good measure.

Back