Your favorite small business networking equipment

Metraon

Limp Gawd
Hello

I would like to know out of curiosity what are your favorite small business routers, firewall, access points, switch and NAS ?

I know people here are very fond of Ubiquity AP so I am curious what you guys use and bundle when you consult. What are your favorite kits :) ?

For me, it depends but I often go with a Zyxell Firewall/Router, Ubiquitys AP's and a Synology NAS.

Routers, Cisco,
Firewalls, Cisco and sonicwall a distant second
access point, Engenus EAP300 or EAP350
Switch, Cisco or HP Procurve
NAS, qnap

pfsense virtualized for FW, unifi for wifi, HP 1810g for switches, synology for nas. Dell T320 for general small biz server, vpshere for hypervisor.

Do you buy pfSense appliances ?
No, generally load it on HP server hardware. I'll take full PSU/HDD redundancy and 4-hour parts delivery any day - over something small and cute with no real hardware support or guaranteed parts availability.

pfSense on PowerEdge 1750s or better or openWRT on TP-Link equipment for router/firewall
APs- Haven't really settled on one, but Engenius and I'm really liking Meraki
Switch- Dell PowerCennect 3548p for PoE and 54xx or 55xx. Cisco SG2xx for others
NAS- Custom built SuperMicro servers
Servers- Custom built SuperMicro servers
Phones- Polycom on sipXecs
Screwdrivers- Klein 10-in-1 and Wiha

Router/Firewall - OpenWRT on TP-Link WDR3600 or other Atheros platform/FreeBSD on Ubnt EdgeRouter Lite (does need a bit of hacking)
APs - TP-Link WDR3600 and OpenWRT
Switch - HP 1910 or 1810 (perferably 1910 despite the fan)
NAS - ZFS based on Fujitsu servers or Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra-series
//Danne

Last edited:
pfsense running on i386 hardware
APs - UniFi (Pro)
Switch - HP Procurve
custom build fileserver/hypervisor

800 Series of what?

I think he was asking if you use the 800 series Cisco SMB equipment.

I would say no considering they suck. The RV series is another pile of stinkers.

I'd consider using the new 550 series devices in a sub 20 user environment...otherwise I'd stick with ASA5512s and higher models.

I would say no considering they suck. The RV series is another pile of stinkers.

I'd consider using the new 550 series devices in a sub 20 user environment...otherwise I'd stick with ASA5512s and higher models.

Most of my Cisco deployments are 1941 IGS or ASA's

Yes I meant Cisco 800 series for Routers, this is the only line I worked with.

Thanks to all for the feedback !

all you pfsense/UAP users, do you guys use the unifi software on your pfsense boxes?

Right now I'm using the free instance from AWS as the remote controller for 4 companies and 5 sites (using the multi-site capabilities of v3.x). Once that is done after 12 months, I'll setup a remote controller on my network. It's nice to have it all in 1 place to manage and see stats.

I'm using the following:

Fortigate Firewall
Fortinet Access Points
HP Procurve Switches
Synology NAS

all you pfsense/UAP users, do you guys use the unifi software on your pfsense boxes?
Not currently, but have tried it. Generally I'm not doing a full overhaul, so a lot of the time the UniFi goes in before the router/firewall. So a lot of them end up on Windows.

Back