Your favorite motherboard?

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
What has been your most favorite, trusted motherboard? So far, mine is the KR7A-RAID I am using now. It has been through 3 AMD CPUs with me (Palomino, Tbred A, Tbred B) and has had ZERO problems. It has near perfect stability, hasn't been finicky at all about RAM, overclocks extremely well (190+ FSB with the right RAM, but that throws EVERYTHING way too far out of wack being a KT266 board) and the onboard RAID even worked well. The only problem I remember ever having was that my 9800 doesn't like the board, but that is ATI's fault not the motherboards.

My NF7-S has large shoes to fill :)

Probably my old Soyo K7VTA-Pro motherboard. It was a KT133A based motherboard and I ran it with a 1.4 TBird overclocked to 1.6 back when 1.4 was the fastest you could buy. Rode that out till last year when I upgraded to my current Dual Xeon system.

the only one ive ever had (im a newb to computer building):

Abit IS7-E. After i put a passive HSF on the Northbridge, ive loved it even more.

NF7-S v2 was the best board I have ever owned. After they finaly got all the bugs worked out.

my Asus A7V600 UAY

its got SATA RAID, Ultra easy OC, stable, 8USB 2.0 ports :), gigabit ethernet

My most trusted board is my old Intel PR440FX Providence Pentium Pro motherboard. Over 7 years old now and still works. I've got dual Pentium Pro 180's OC'ed to 200MHz w/64 megs of ram on it. I power it up recently. Still works.

Probably my A7V, since I haven't sold it.
I also loved the Abit NV7-133R. OC options were worthless, but the stability made some big headway for Abit in my future.

The ECS K7S5A. That board was cheap and great. I got it and an Athlon XP 1500+ for $70 a couple of years ago. I just popped in my old PC133 and it ran great. Then I changed over and used the DDR slots later. 6 of my friends ended up buying the same board and all of us loved it. Sure, there were better boards out there, and overclocking was out of the question, but you couldn't beat the price/performance ratio. I think decent onboard sound and NICs were a fairly new thing back then too, and the K7S5A had both.

Kupe said:
The ECS K7S5A. That board was cheap and great. I got it and an Athlon XP 1500+ for $70 a couple of years ago. I just popped in my old PC133 and it ran great. Then I changed over and used the DDR slots later. 6 of my friends ended up buying the same board and all of us loved it. Sure, there were better boards out there, and overclocking was out of the question, but you couldn't beat the price/performance ratio. I think decent onboard sound and NICs were a fairly new thing back then too, and the K7S5A had both.

I still have a version 1 here ... fired it up last week and it still works ... it's my backup motherboard ... and I agree that it is a great board ...

my most trusted mobo is my old Asus a7n8x (non dlx)

but my favorite is my DFI nfii infinity ultra

Already been said but I have to say my BP6. Mine actually caught on fire and still to this day works.

It would have to be my Asus A7V133.

I've been using it for almost 4 years now and I haven't once had a problem with it.

Got to love that PC133 RAM.

My KT7A was rock solid for 3 years, so it gets the longevity award. My NF7-S v2 is pretty nice though. Certainly the system its running is a bit faster ;)

I am newer to comps then most of you, but I have to say, my current rig nf7-s is extremely stable and trusted. I don't like how most of the new NForce 3 forums have so many bugs, that is the primary reason that I have yet to upgrade to A64.

The board I use now, epox 8rda3+. It has never given me problems that I didn't cause:D

Although I am sure there are better out there, I havn't owned them all. I have been through a lot with this one, and deem it better than my old FIC az11, and msi kt-4...later:)

whatever Intel mobo that came with my old Gateway 2000 socket 8 computer. i used that computer 4 years straight and never turned it off. i also beat the crap out of it tinkering constantly and learning about PCs and how they work. still has the original PSU,RAM, and hard drive(back when quantum didn't suck). i opened the case so many times i wore it out so its duct taped shut now.

much trial and error on that poor PC. still works to this day. it holds a very special place in my heart,i will never part with it.

I've owned quite a few mobos.... wow - really brings me back.....
ASUS Pentium board - don't even remember the model #, but it was fast at the time
Abit BE6 -- Probably the most stable board ever owned
Abit KT7A -- hmmmm, didn't like very much - my last AMD experience
Asus P4B -- What the hell was I thinking? It didn't even work out of the box!
Abit TH7-IIR -- Another fine board, still using it with a P4 2.26 -- Rock solid!
Abit IC7-G -- A few compatibility problems and the NB fan fell off once, but the perforamance is all there.....

So I'd have to say that my I have the fondest memories of my BE6 with a 1ghz slot 1 P3, closely followed by the TH7-IIR with a P4 2.26

Current board MSI KT4 Ultra, been humming along for over a year now and still going strong. Before that K7S5A. My wife is still using one and my old board is in my nieces PC.

I think of all-time it would be the Tyan S1830S - one of the last AT motherboards ever made. It had dual power connectors for mounting in either AT or ATX cases, and accepted 1 Gig of EDO or 512mb of SDRAM...and it was huge! An 8-slot case was a necessity if you wanted to use its AGP slot, and it had 4 ISA and 4 PCI slots (1 shared)...It took at least up to the 850mhz Coppermine slot 1 processors (more with a socket 370 converter), which meant you could have one of the fastest computers available in 2000...in AT format! It just seemed to symbolize excess and felt like one of the last links to computing past...and it was sturdy and stable to boot!

Kind of like what the Soyo P4 board with ISA slots is today.

Well, I have been unable to keep any single motherboard/CPU combo for more than a year or two. But I did have fond memories of my last Intel setup prior to my current Intel setup - a 700MHz P3 running on an Asus P3B-F motherboard with six PCI slots. I ran that system from the midst of the Y2K craze until the time I started flirting with AMD in early 2002. It saw several videocard and soundcard upgrades, as well.

Among the AMD systems that I had, the best one by far had been my previous AXP 2600+ Barton and Abit NF7-S V2 combo. Unfortunately, I had RAM that wouldn't work properly at any clockspeed slower than 200MHz (DDR400) - but the 2600+ is only a DDR333 (166MHz FSB) CPU! That caused some instability, pauses, slowdowns and hiccups. Nonetheless, I may re-build that AMD setup as my secondary PC, this time doing it right with PC2700 DDR memory modules.

As for my current Intel P4 setup, it's too soon to tell. The mobo and the CPU are great - but one thing is for sure... the stock HSF that came with my boxed 2.8C Northwood P4 is a piece of you-know-what. Only the corners of the CPU heat spreader made good contact with the stock HSF's TIC, while the centre of the CPU barely touched the TIC! That caused all sorts of crashes and lock-ups! Mercifully, I replaced it with my current Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu HSF and AS5. (And believe it or not, the RAM that I'm currently using on my Intel P4 setup is the exact same RAM that I had used with my previous AMD/NF2 setup.)

By the way, when it comes to my least favourite motherboard... It had to be an Intel VC820. That was my first - and only - flirtation with RDRAM (Rambust). The benchmarked memory throughput was the fastest that I had seen up to that point, but its real-world performance is no faster than existing SDRAM-based systems. Furthermore, the mobo I had came with a defective LPT port. Blurgh! :mad:

IC7-max3
Id hump this thing if it wouldn't cut up my peepee
disturbed2.gif

My first computer had an ABIT BX6 Rev 2.0. I don't know if anyone remembers havong a BX chipset but it was awesome. I could go up to a gig of SDRAM. I only had 512mb. I started with 32mb though. We also took a celeron 300a w/ 66mhz FSB and overclocked it to 450mhz by upping the bus.

In 2002 I upgraded this board to a whoping 1.1 ghz PIII using a slot 1 to socket 370 converter. My geforce 3 Ti-200 overclocked well on this board it got me 4500 3dmark 01 marks, 1st edition. Even though it was AGP 2x it worked out well.

I remember the BX boards. :)

Back in the day I had a MSI 6309 Socket 370 board, which ran my Celeron 300 @ 550MHz! It was a VIA chipset, 133MHz FSB. Real nice.

[H]Tek said:
I don't know if anyone remembers havong a BX chipset...
It was during the BX-chipset era that I started acquiring (purchasing) my own CPU and memory. I had run my systems with borrowed parts as far back as the Pentium 1 era.

I love th current board I'm running... Gigabyte's GA-8KNXP. Absolutely rock solid, OC's pretty well(For someone new to OCing), all the fetures I need and use.

Sir-Fragalot said:
My most trusted board is my old Intel PR440FX Providence Pentium Pro motherboard. Over 7 years old now and still works. I've got dual Pentium Pro 180's OC'ed to 200MHz w/64 megs of ram on it. I power it up recently. Still works.

Another vote for the PR440FX. Got Dual Overdrives in mine overclocked to 350mhz... I have mine set up as a cross-compiling box for my various Gentoo installations. I've had mine for 5 years now, and it has never, ever crashed in any OS that I've thrown at it.

Back