Your Favorite Lightweight Laptop

Ange062

2[H]4U
I am currently in the market for a lightweight and highly portable laptop, but ive never owned a laptop before so i know very little about them. Im not looking for a desktop replacement, but i dont want something that is completely anemic on power either. I have been looking at the Dell 600m and 700m series, but i cant find any reviews on them. Does anyone know where i can find a good laptop shootout? I will be using it mostly for school to run electronics applications like LabView, MaxPlus, Pspice, and for programming.

Also, if any of you have reccomendations for other laptops that would suit my applications, i would love to know alternatives and what you guys have had good experiences with.

Some specs that im looking for:
> 1.6 GHz (Centrino preferrably)
512mb ddr
integrated wireless
>= 40gb HDD
< 5 lbs
<= $1400

dell 600m, like the fact that it has a sxga and a 64MB 9000ATI in it for well under 1300. ^-^

sagers r nice, whats the graphics in that one i need to check that lol

Ange062 said:
the sony laptops are awesome, but WAY expensive. The s series is $2000 starting price.

I believe it starts at $1450.

You can get the S260P for something like $1300 right now. Check fatwallet.

That sager is really nice, its a widescreen like my m505x. I think that if it has to be small I will stick with the 600m but if size is not a concern then that centrino is the taker there a 128MB 9700 radeon

I would avoid the 700m if you plan on ever typing anything on it. The keyboard is useless. The "." and "/" keys are so small I have to stop typing and hit each one hunt and peck style. Also the trackpad and buttons are pretty cheap. I am selling mine i just bought or returning it. It does have a wonderful screen though (only plus side).

The Sony S series is by far the most powerful and portable sub-notebook out there. Its a shame that it comes with a steep price premium, but you get what you pay for. :p

cuzzle said:
I would avoid the 700m if you plan on ever typing anything on it. The keyboard is useless. The "." and "/" keys are so small I have to stop typing and hit each one hunt and peck style. Also the trackpad and buttons are pretty cheap. I am selling mine i just bought or returning it. It does have a wonderful screen though (only plus side).

How long have you had it for? I've had mine for over a month now and typing has been fine and fast for a good 2 weeks now. It just takes a week or 2 to get used to.

As for the trackpad...its the Synaptic trackpad. The same one that everyone RAVES about on other dells. I LOVE the trackpad...way better than my girlfriends D600 with the Alps one.

My current laptop, ultraportable Asus S5N.

<3lbs
Carbon Fiber Internal Structure
12.1"
1.5 Dothan (upgradable to 2.0)
40Gb HD (upgradable)
768Mb memory (maxed out)
external CD/RW (came with the laptop)
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset (no killer, but it does run Warcraft III maxed out with no problems)

Another version is the Asus M5N
same as above, 3.2lbs, with internal CD/RW.

Some keys are small, but easy to get used to, bit expensive though, at $1599.

If you don't mind Macs, the Powebook G4 12" is about 4.5lbs and is a wonderful laptop.

CompuDrew said:
Another vote for the S series Sony. I love mine!

according to the sony website, the price for the s series is $2000 base, which unfortunatly, is more than i want to spend.

Oh, sorry, I missed the <$1400 the first time.

I couldn''t find anything out about this reseller, but I found an S-260 for $800

[EDIT] Wow, now it's down to $500! There''s gotta' be a catch or something I'm missing. I don't see refurb anywhere. ? Bah, when you add it to your cart and proceed to checkout it shows up as $1879.99 :rolleyes: [EDIT]

TC1100, 4 pounds, 4 hours bat life, same size with kb attached as a 12" power book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzle

How long have you had it for? I've had mine for over a month now and typing has been fine and fast for a good 2 weeks now. It just takes a week or 2 to get used to.

As for the trackpad...its the Synaptic trackpad. The same one that everyone RAVES about on other dells. I LOVE the trackpad...way better than my girlfriends D600 with the Alps one.

I have had it for about two weeks now (though I am selling it) and have not been able to get used to the keyboard. It just seems the keys I need to use a lot are the smallest ones and i have fairly big hands.

I don't mind the trackpad it's rather the buttons for the trackpad that feel cheap to me. I can second the Powerbooks 12" to be really nice for the size if you don't mind using a mac. The keyboards on those are just wonderful.

I'd vote for an IBM X31 or X40.

I prefer the 31 to the 40, as you can put a 60gb 7200rpm drive in it, and up to a 1.7 Pentium-M...and it still gets roughly 5 hours of battery life at 3.4 lbs...plus it's compatible with the same docking station as the T42P I'm using.

I just wish the X40s weren't limited to the 1.8" drives

cuzzle said:
I have had it for about two weeks now (though I am selling it) and have not been able to get used to the keyboard. It just seems the keys I need to use a lot are the smallest ones and i have fairly big hands.

I don't mind the trackpad it's rather the buttons for the trackpad that feel cheap to me. I can second the Powerbooks 12" to be really nice for the size if you don't mind using a mac. The keyboards on those are just wonderful.

If you bought it brand new from Dell 2 weeks ago, then you can return it within 30 days for full money back. Just let them know that it doesn't fit your needs and you find that hte keyboard is uncomfortable.

I really enjoy my compaq nc6000. Paid $1100 for it on half.com brand new. The 3 year warranty is especially nice...

Averatec 3250 is cheap. 60gb, 512mb RAM, wireless G, DVD-burner for $1000 at Sam's Club. sam's has a 6-month return policy too.

I have a 600m and I've been happy with it. I got it about a year ago and have loved it. At them time it was one of the only pentium m's that I could find that was not and untra light and was not huge. The powerbook is also a good choice for most people. I have an ibook that I'm going to replace with one when the next version comes out.

if you want smal and cheap look into a fujitsu p1120, leog.net has a forum for the p series

well, i went and checked out as many as i could, and i just fell in love with the sony s260. The features and size were unparallelled in my opinion, so i decided to go over my budget in true computer fanatic fashion and throw down the $1650 + tax for the s260. I couldnt have made a better choice, the thing is perfect, and exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks for all the reccommendations guys.

I just ordered a Asus M3N:

4.9 lbs.
1.6 GHz Dothan
40 GB 5400 RPM
512 MB
14.1" SXGA+
Intel 2200 B/G
Integrated graphics
$1260.00

Late to the party and wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but my laptop absolutely rocks!

I got the Sharp Actius MM20P

10.4" XGA Screen
1.0Ghz Transmeta Efficeon (yeah I know)
512MB DDR (266?)
20gb Hard Drive
802.11B/G

And weighs in at 2lbs........and about .5 inches thin

:D

12" Powerbook.

I *really* want to get a Sony VAIO T series, but I can't seem to justify getting rid of my powerbook :(

I wanted a portable notebook too, but was on a pretty tight budget. I got a averatec 3200 at a local best buy for about 1200 CAD in June. Its pretty good though, amd 2000+, but only 256 mb and a 40 gig hd. Right now though, you can get them for the same price today but with 512 and a dvd-rw today.

My fiance got one back in the summer here in the states. She loves it....I like it but it still weighs twice as much as mine

Ange062 said:
well, i went and checked out as many as i could, and i just fell in love with the sony s260. The features and size were unparallelled in my opinion, so i decided to go over my budget in true computer fanatic fashion and throw down the $1650 + tax for the s260. I couldnt have made a better choice, the thing is perfect, and exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks for all the reccommendations guys.

I just got me an S170 from BB open boxed for $900, I'm hella happy ;)

versello said:
12" Powerbook.

I *really* want to get a Sony VAIO T series, but I can't seem to justify getting rid of my powerbook :(

Ibook or Tr :D

ibooktr.jpg

--KK

I really dig that system, the only thing holding me back is no Gigabit

rpc180 said:
My current laptop, ultraportable Asus S5N.

<3lbs
Carbon Fiber Internal Structure
12.1"
1.5 Dothan (upgradable to 2.0)
40Gb HD (upgradable)
768Mb memory (maxed out)
external CD/RW (came with the laptop)
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset (no killer, but it does run Warcraft III maxed out with no problems)

Another version is the Asus M5N
same as above, 3.2lbs, with internal CD/RW.

Some keys are small, but easy to get used to, bit expensive though, at $1599.

Back