Your favorite console controller...

What is your favorite console controller?

• NES

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • SNES

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • N64

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Sega Genesis

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • PS2 Dualshock

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • XBOX

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • XBOX 360

Votes: 103 51.8%
  • PS3

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Wii

Votes: 18 9.0%

• Total voters
So many SNES memories :)

I see the NES controller finally got a vote. That HAS to be nostalgia. It was purely a product of "hey, we can make a video game controller that works". It was not adequately designed to be held by a human hand for any length of time.

I see the NES controller finally got a vote. That HAS to be nostalgia. It was purely a product of "hey, we can make a video game controller that works". It was not adequately designed to be held by a human hand for any length of time.

True, but compared to those stiff old Atari sticks and the telephone-like Coleco paddles it was revolutionary. Still, it can't touch anything we have today. At the time it was pretty amazing, though.

I think one of the most uncomfortable controllers was the Dreamcast's batman controller. It was too big and too angular.

The 360 is nice, but it's got weaknesses. The start and select buttons are practically invisible. Also, it still has too much girth. I'm not so much gripping it as I am holding it.

The gamecube controller wasn't that great. The start button was hard to reach, the shoulder buttons were the giant concave abominations that took a tremendous amount of force to press in. The buttons shifted around cheaply. The d-pad was small and stiff, and the joysticks had too much tug from the center. If you move it around in little circles, you'll see what I mean. You can do perfect circles on the PS2 pad, but not on the gamecube.

The Playstation design wins for me. And I think the PS3 and PS2 should be under the same option. They're the same design, why separate their votes?

And I think the PS3 and PS2 should be under the same option. They're the same design, why separate their votes?

wireless and motion-control? that seemed to be good enough reason to separate. Point taken about the similarity of the physical structure though.

It's tough to saw between the PS3 and PS2 controller. I like the PS2 one better because it feels more solid and lacks triggers. I like the PS3 controller better because the analog sticks are better and the D-pad feels better. Overall, I'm giving the edge to the PS3 controller.

360 has a good controller, but I find its D-pad to be terrible and the bumper buttons aren't too good (that's just my view). Triggers are nice though. I still prefer the traditional PlayStation controller feel.

I actually liked the GC controller a lot. I felt the design was unique.

I remember back when the dreamcast was all I had. I thought the controller was fucking epic. Monumentiously awesome!

And then I played the first Xbox...and continued to think that way. All the way up to about 6 months ago when I pulled the dreamcast out of hiding and plugged it in.

What the fuck was I thinking? The controller is nothing compared to the Xbox Type-S and Xbox 360 controllers.

misc2600controller.jpg

/thread

Another vote for the 360 controller...it fits my hands well, the analog sticks/triggers are placed perfectly and the rumble adds immersion without being annoying. However as others have said..the d-pad isn't great. The original PS1 dualshock comes in a close second though. I hate the PS3 "sixaxis" controller and I don't know if I'll ever get used to it..

the logitech wireless romote for the 360 = my favorite remote. its got that good combination of ps2 look and xbox feel. and it has a nice weight, i like something w/ a little heft

Xbox 360 by far.

I was a fan of the original Duke xbox controller until the 360 came out. I'd love to say the NES but playing with that thing for hours really hurt your hands.

360 controller is much better then the PS3 controller and is the best I have used so far. Especially like that I can use it on the PC too. Second, I would pick the Sega Genesis controller. Back in the day no other console had a controller as good as the Sega Genesis 6 button controller. All the others felt like they were made for little kids and not man sized hands. All the ones in the poll beat the crap controller the Mattel Intellivision had. That one wasn't ergonomic in any way and was just a hunk of square plastic.

21-92.jpg

genesisb.jpg

I definitely like the 360 controller for racing/FPS/Sports games.

The PS2/3 controllers still are the next best thing next to a Real Arcade stick for fighting games though.

^^I was referring to the original Xbox controller that's as large as my face! Whoever designed that thing must have been the size of Goliath. I mean, I have very large hands but that controller was still too big for me.

Fail.

"PS3 controller" would have been an acceptable answer, but the existence of the Dualshock 3 makes Sixaxis pretty much the only possible wrong answer in this poll.

Existence and availability are very different things. How many people in this forum have ever used a DualShock 3? Tough to favor something you've never used. What if it makes a large clunky sound or if it's been tweaked slightly not to fit my hands right? What if it's got bugs that make the buttons activate themselves? It's wrong to vote for something we don't have in our hands. Otherwise I'd just vote for the Xbox 720 controller.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I actually had a Sidewinder controller for my kick-ass Windows 95 PC. I even had the one that was for gameports as USB wasn't around yet. It replaced my Suncom programmable pad that randomly died. At the time it was a pretty solid PC gamepad back when most were piss-poor Logitech SNES pad clones. The d-pad was interesting because it had raised bumps in between the 4 directions. I didn't really mind that, although it was angled so finding diagonals would be annoying if those weren't there.

I still think if Sony went back to the original big PS1 Dual Analog design I'd be happy. It was larger, the analogs were a little less twitchy, and they were concave.

Still the 360's d-pad really is the only flaw with that controller, too. It's a shame.

No Gamecube? You fail at polls, sir.

Then you either fail at reading or being courteous. I acknowledged the egregious omission.

That MS thing in Defective's post is horrendous. It would be interesting to see the WORST controllers ever.

Saw it posted earlier and had to share a pic:
joy034.jpg

I've owned the Jaguar, and lemme tell ya, this controller SUCKS. Especially if--like me--you don't have the button overlay for the game you're playing. Ughh.

I owned a Jaguar, too. The people at Diehard Gamefan can go to hell for pushing that damned system and Cybermorph like the second coming.
Most of the games came with a goofy little plastic overlay so each button was labeled. In theory it sounded good, but that telephone pad wasn't mean for gaming and reaching those buttons in the middle of a game was pointless.
The only good things that the Jaguar did correctly were Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. It actually had the best console ports for those two games.
Still, that's the worst modern console controller ever. I'd say the Genesis Analog pad is probably a close second. I don't think anything 'cept Nights used it and it was gigantic with a horrendous d-pad.

Ok I voted for the Sega Dreamcast controller. Does any one remember a game call "Skies of Acradia"? Well I loved this friggen game! The Dreamcast controller had a memory card slot you could use and there was a special type of memory card that had a small cruddy video card. Well in Skies of Acradia you could upload a silly 2D game and play it on the memory card. The game allowed you to earn cash and stuff. Once you plugged into the controller with the game running you could transfer your loot over...rocked when traveling ;).

I think I'm remembering this correctly lol!

I've owned the Jaguar, and lemme tell ya, this controller SUCKS. Especially if--like me--you don't have the button overlay for the game you're playing. Ughh.

haha. I remember that.... thing. It was horrible. One could even say it was egregious!

Wow. That's a lot uglier than I remember it being.

I like the wii controller just because it is unique, but my next choice would be the original Xbox controller (The HUGE one, not that stupid "S-Controller" thing.)

Poll definitely needs the Sega Saturn controller in it. For those that haven't played a Saturn, it's just like the Genesis 6-button pad, except even better. The best 2D gaming controller. Period.

gotta be the 360 controller. (gamecube is good, too, but the 360 is better)

Sony really screwed the pooch by not redesigning their controller. That thing is cramp-tastic.

Back